SAU Community

Mechanical Vs Elerctric Gauges

Adz2332

what do you mean they dont line up properly when off???

HAve you seen them first hand?

They look good tho...

Plus imgetting a Power FC so gages are only there to A. look ok and B. to check quickly and if theres a prob check the power fc etc etc

By not lining up properly when OFF i'm refering to the reading not being accurate when the car is turned off. An example is when you turn off the car and the boost gauge needle is supposed to return to 0 (mechanical gauge, electric gauges might not do this). Sometimes it will be below 0 or above, etc... in worst cases (like a splitfire mechanical gauge i had) the meter was pretty much 2-3points below 0. I'm also not refering specifically to autogauge, i'm talking about mechanical gauges in general here.

Yes, I have seen the autogauge shown above first hand and saw a few of the electric gauges getting installed. The good thing about it is that the sensor comes with the gauge and you dont have to buy any controller boxes, its really good value. But again, some of them were not very accurate (not very bad though, i'm just picky).. its a 90 dollar gauge after all.

How are you planning on using the gauges to check the power FC ?

Edited by Scratch

Sorry wasnt being clear... not using the gauges to check power fc.. i meant ill have the gauges in front of me and as soon as i see a slight problem ill forget the gauges and grab the power fc to see whats reali up... if you know what i mean..?

Also since you have seen them in real life 52mm is it a bit small? ive only ever had 60mm ones?

Sorry wasnt being clear... not using the gauges to check power fc.. i meant ill have the gauges in front of me and as soon as i see a slight problem ill forget the gauges and grab the power fc to see whats reali up... if you know what i mean..?

Also since you have seen them in real life 52mm is it a bit small? ive only ever had 60mm ones?

60MM FTW.. less time spent squinting trying to read the gauge = more time spent looking at the road.

but thats a personal thing, hold the 52MM away from you at arms length.. if you cant read it properly at a glance.. dont get it.

^ are you sure that includes boost gauges? i know oil and fuel isnt allowed to be routed through the cabin, and i'm sure most poeple wouldnt want it there either

Yes, in theory if the hose was to split over time, it could pump an air/fuel mixture into the cabin.

i'd lean towards saber rather than autogauge. autogauge have a poor rep with some of their other gauges, and as mentioned, even with the stepper version, its luck of the draw. so it doesnt say much for their quality control / standards. theres no point having a pretty gauge if its not accurate.