SAU Community

Safe Rev Limit For Stock Internal Rb26?...

nsta

Hey guys, my gtr came with a nismo speedo which is redline after 8000, im pretty sure this is definitely not the same redline for a stock dash gtr.....is it more close to 7000?.....im just wondering cause id like to know the safe revs for a stock internal rb26 motor like mine....ive revved it past or close to 7500 once, but wont do it again...right now i rev to ~7000 or under...i want reliability more than anything as this is a new drop in motor which is extremely healthy.

thanks...

I doubt you'd be making power at 8000rpm, so why take it that far? :D

Yeah i wont be, its just that i sometimes go over 7000 when driving hard without knowing it...never 8000 or higher though...is there a way to cut out after say 7500 so i dont do any damage to my car?...maybe when i get it tuned or something?

any aftermarket ECU will have a way of setting the rev limit

on my old internally stock 32 GT-R, my tuner set the hard-cut to 8200

at the track, i would change at 7 where possible, but let it run to 7500 in some corners where needed. keeping the revs lower is a good way to keep the oil temperature from going critical on engines without aftermarket oil coolers, too.

Stock r32 GTR has a YELLOW line at 7500 and a RED line at 8000, no point reving past 7500 as you wont be making any more power and the pull in the following gear may even be stronger as you will be back in the meat of the tourque curve

Stock r32 GTR has a YELLOW line at 7500 and a RED line at 8000, no point reving past 7500 as you wont be making any more power and the pull in the following gear may even be stronger as you will be back in the meat of the tourque curve

Unless you have 2530's and poncams and have to rev to 8000+. Some guys don't go above 6k!!! Good old oil pump drives are too narrow on the early 32's and thats part of the reason why 7500-8000 redline.

Thanks, yeah r34 n1 turbos, so 7000 is a good limit to set...is it good practice to tune my car with a rev - cut at say 7000 or just over in my case???

In my situaiton, sometimes when im driving the car hard i drive over 7k sligtly, not alot though, but now im getting used to learning to shift up faster:)

what you have to watch is where in the power band the engine will be when you change gear, you dont want the next gear to fallout of the meat of the power/tourque curve.

What you want is the torque output of the engine multiplied by the transmission ratio in the higher gear to equal that for the lower gear you are about to change out of. That is the correct point to change up.

Ofcourse road car gear ratios being what they are sometimes that point is beyond the redline.

And yes, 7500rpm is as good a number as any, but the RB26 will take occasional bursts to 8000rpm without expensive damage. Just don't do it all the time. The other thing to note is the tachos aren't very accurate, usually reading a little conservative, ie high.

Oh and is you want to try the 11,000rpm thing make sure you video it. :P

Edited by djr81

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone, just got my car tuned, and it doesnt make more power after 7000, so i was thinking 7300rpm rev cut, would that be safe, what happens if i reach rev cut, and does it do damage to the motor (surely its better than over revving when you are going hard...)

Also, the n1's run out of punch after 6500-7000 anyway...