SAU Community

Setting Up Bosch 044 External Fuel Pump...whats The Best Approach..

nsta

Hey guys, im tuning my car to ~500hp, i dont know what setup to do though, and how to go about it all....im aiming for max 350awkw in the future, and i have a few options:

1) retain the stock fuel pump, and use the 044 as an added external for surge?... sell the 040 i have

2) put in my current 044 as main, and 040 as surge....sell the stock pump

3) Install the external 044 and be done with it, sell my stock pump and my 040 which i was going to use and use only the 044 as the only fuel pump.

I dont wnt to do anything i dont need to for the power delivery, as its getting done by a mechanic which means added lab our:(.

cheers

im running around the 350kw mark and have been for some time.

what i did was mount the 044 intank.

go to your local car parts store and pick up a fuel sock from a v8 falcon, i think around the EA EB era.

it has a white plastic 90 degree elbow coming of it and its about 15mm pipe. cut this elbow off as high as possible and then

you can join this with fuel hose straight on to the bottom of the o44 pump. wrap the pump in 2 inch clear fuel hose from pirtek, and then a few conectors etc and away you go.

whisper quiet , and as the sock sits right at the bottom of the tank theres no 1/4 tank issues.

this total install took me 3 hours start to finish. which includes driving around to pirtek, and sprint autos.

works perfectly every time, and as i said whisper quite.

the nismo and tomei pumps are good easy install but whats the highest power level on here some one has made with one? ive heard of heaps of you guys using them but no one thats close to 350rwkws.

im not a massive fan of the surge tank idea in a street car.

for 1 there defectable, but they also rely on at least 2 pumps.

when 1 of the pumps fails the other is going to keep supplying a small amount of fuel to your engine.

if your doing 8000rpm when this occurs your afr are going to go from 12 to 20 real quickly and until you back off.

if you have one good pump intank and it dies, then yes it will lean out still but the motor will stop firing as theres no fuel at all to try and run on. this will take place in less then a second, while the 2 pump set up may go on for 5 or 10 seconds or even longer if you dont realise theres a problem.

just my thoughts.

post-24852-1206741617_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
the nismo and tomei pumps are good easy install but whats the highest power level on here some one has made with one? ive heard of heaps of you guys using them but no one thats close to 350rwkws.

Just on 400 KW at the treads on a single Nismo pump here. Will post a dyno sheet when i get it retuned.

For 500 HP i wouldnt bother with surge tanks, external pumps and all the jibber jabber. What for? Its only excess weight and adds complexity for no reason.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread.

If I'm currently running a std R33 GTS-T intank pump, and will be running the 044 as an intank, do I only need to purchase:

the EA/EB sock filter

a length of 2" fuel hose

a length of 15mm fuel hose

2 3" hose clamps

I see "a few connectors" in there....what connectors are we talking about exactly? I'm going to be walking into Repco/Autobarn with my 044 and asking for this shit, I wanna know what I'm talking about lol.

ty

you need to visit clark rubber and pirtek. (both are in fyshwick)

needs to look like this

pumptop.jpg

pumpbottom.jpg

thats the stock fuel sock shoved into some petrol rated PVC hose with an adaptor on the bottom of the 044, on the top is a 1 way valve and hose adaptor with some more PVC hose sliced open and wrapped around the pump to reduce the noise.

Which would you suggest visiting first? I'm not even kidding when I say I'm gonna ask for something, and if they don't know what I'm after straight up, I'm screwed. lol

kk, so I'll need 1 way valve, adapter, pipe to stop vibration noise, some hose clamps, short pipe to join filter, and re-use the filter off my current fuel pump? or source a new filter?

print off the pictures, call pirtek (0417201007) find out when he will be in, take pictures ask him if he can replicate that, visit clark rubber which is 5 mins down the road and ask them to show you where the petrol resistant PVC hose is (up the back from memory) use the pump with its new fittings to find what sizes you need.

i have used the stock sock on mine and just gave it a clean with some new fuel and a compressor. i had to heat up the hose with boiling water to get the sock to insert into it as its an odd size.

good idea man, thanks for your help! I owe you a beer (or whatever you drink) when we have our ACT catchup night :banana:

I'll give him a call tomorrow morning so I can swing by over lunch

l have said this many times before, maybe l am the only one who has this setup. My car is making a claimed 380RWKW and is using a standard GTR pump wired to get a constant 14.5 volts. The guy who did all the work on my car claims that having the pump wired this way is good for 400RWKW.

I give up lol. Dropped by Pirtek, the dude there had just taken over that distributor and the previous dude had taken all the ProFlow fittings when he left.

Ended up just dropping off the pump at ESP for them to source the parts...ah wellz.

thread cleaned.

l have said this many times before, maybe l am the only one who has this setup. My car is making a claimed 380RWKW and is using a standard GTR pump wired to get a constant 14.5 volts. The guy who did all the work on my car claims that having the pump wired this way is good for 400RWKW.

there are a number of people running factory GTR pumps @ 380rwkw no problems.

just comes down the pump condition/age & so on.

10yrs+ old, most of the time you'll find a replacement is in order.