SAU Community

I thought it was illegal to sell an uncomplied car that was initially imported & marked for road use since they do not meet ADR's. It looks like an early model R32 GTR (pre-1992), so it will need doors with intrusion bars for compliance (if they do it properly). It's hard to believe that they will do the proper compliance including the doors WITH intrusion bars for $2750 since the second-hand doors alone cost around $1000 fitted (plus painting) and they're hard come by.

Edited by toyos

I thought there were a few RAWS with pre-92 compliance capability, most of whom set price at around $2700 (plus GST plus tyres mind you...). Question is - as this is normally imported via the RAWS themselves - who is the actual compliance agent who has applied to import this car, are they aware that the car is changing hands, and have they already inspected the car (in other words, have they blacklisted this with DOTARS so that it cannot be registered). Seller needs to advise whom the compliance agent is - as you can't 'choose your own' after you import the car....

Yes you can:

Buy and sell uncomplianced cars

Compliance the vehicle at any shop

Ive had it done myself. I bought a car that was brought into the country 5 years before i got it, and it wasnt complainced immediately; i got it ready for compliance and had it done at a shop other than the one who had brought the car into the country.

Also the easiest way to check if the car can be complianced is to call DOTARS, as they know about all cars brought in and whether or not they can be complianced, but they take a day or ten to get back to you.

For people in vic call Sam at Japanese Performance Vehicles in Bayswater.

Hope this helps potential buyers.

Any freshly imported cars for road use must have side intrusion bars (ADR requirement), and pre-1992 R32's do not have them, period. Yes you can use any compliance workshop BUT the first workshop who has the SEVS import approval will have to agree to transfer the compliance to another workshop (could be a pain), and both workshops will have to submit letters explaining the reason for the transfer to DOTARS (new rules). I experienced it first hand and it took extra 3 months for the run around. The first workshop also demanded a 'fee' of around $400-500, otherwise they wouldn't agree to the transfer.

Also, you may want to check this out:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/saf...rting.aspx#5.06

Under point 10 it states that "It is an offence to supply to the market (ie to sell for use on a public road) a vehicle that has been imported for use in transport but does not meet the ADRs, or is not fitted with an identification plate, used import plate or Personal Import plate. Such action may attract a penalty of up 120 units per vehicle. A penalty unit means A$110 (as at 1/1/04)."

If the car is not complied within 12 months of its arrival in Australia, the SEVS import approval holder may have to explain to DOTARS as to why it hasn't been done, otherwise the car may have to be re-exported or destroyed.

Just some information that may need to be taken into consideration.

Edited by toyos

Yes we do seem to be burying this for sale thread, and let us not damage the sale here.

Toyos - your mechanical knowledge of the 32 may be correct (probably is). That notwithstanding, the pertinent issue is whether or not the car is complied by RAWS workshops for circa $2700 (plus plus). I believe it is. In fact, we all probably agree on this point. For prospective buyers (and I wait in the wings), the costs are more likely circa $3500 - that is, $2700 plus GST plus tyres, plus any other minor mechanicals that may get picked up.

Femno - two points. Your application to have a car complied by another agent is different to these circumstances. I - like you - had to have a couple of cars re-complied in this manner (i.e a pre-RAWS imported car to be complied under RAWS scheme). The difference is the first approval was issued in the individuals name, and the buyer was at liberty to choose workshops. Many of the workshops (pre-RAWS...what were they called....CPA's or something?) were / are no longer in existence, in which case the 'owner' has legitimate grounds to request (require!) such a transfer. Now, when changing from a RAWS to a RAWS, the approval is issued in the workshops name (as you will know), and hence requesting of DOTARS for such a transfer is 'risky' if on the grounds that ...'oh, i bought from some guy who...' (i.e if there is not a truly legitimate reason). Again, as you have stated, the original RAWS must be involved (to consent to the transfer), and they themselves may not consent, or may impose a fee, etc

it is for this reason that I have suggested the seller needs to clarify these matters, rather than having everyone else speculate. this can be by PM or by post, but is best for the seller to do. Likewise, I think the same goes for having the seller explain how the sale would / could occur - this is more effective and more considerate than having countless individuals contact DOTARS for these details.

Once I have clarification on the status of the car, and my earlier questions, I will be in a place to make an offer. I note that the seller says that his GF does not like the car, but on Ebay he is also selling an FTO, belonging to same girlfriend. ?? I hope I'm not making his life any harder than she already is.....?

Cool banana - can you answer these questions please? I'll then contact you by PM to go from there...

Yes we do seem to be burying this for sale thread, and let us not damage the sale here.

Toyos - your mechanical knowledge of the 32 may be correct (probably is). That notwithstanding, the pertinent issue is whether or not the car is complied by RAWS workshops for circa $2700 (plus plus). I believe it is. In fact, we all probably agree on this point. For prospective buyers (and I wait in the wings), the costs are more likely circa $3500 - that is, $2700 plus GST plus tyres, plus any other minor mechanicals that may get picked up.

Femno - two points. Your application to have a car complied by another agent is different to these circumstances. I - like you - had to have a couple of cars re-complied in this manner (i.e a pre-RAWS imported car to be complied under RAWS scheme). The difference is the first approval was issued in the individuals name, and the buyer was at liberty to choose workshops. Many of the workshops (pre-RAWS...what were they called....CPA's or something?) were / are no longer in existence, in which case the 'owner' has legitimate grounds to request (require!) such a transfer. Now, when changing from a RAWS to a RAWS, the approval is issued in the workshops name (as you will know), and hence requesting of DOTARS for such a transfer is 'risky' if on the grounds that ...'oh, i bought from some guy who...' (i.e if there is not a truly legitimate reason). Again, as you have stated, the original RAWS must be involved (to consent to the transfer), and they themselves may not consent, or may impose a fee, etc

it is for this reason that I have suggested the seller needs to clarify these matters, rather than having everyone else speculate. this can be by PM or by post, but is best for the seller to do. Likewise, I think the same goes for having the seller explain how the sale would / could occur - this is more effective and more considerate than having countless individuals contact DOTARS for these details.

Once I have clarification on the status of the car, and my earlier questions, I will be in a place to make an offer. I note that the seller says that his GF does not like the car, but on Ebay he is also selling an FTO, belonging to same girlfriend. ?? I hope I'm not making his life any harder than she already is.....?

Cool banana - can you answer these questions please? I'll then contact you by PM to go from there...

yes she is driving the FTO right now but she hate the car due to the car looks ugly and do not want a GTR piece of old shit so I rather to sell both car and find her a new Mercedes C-Class or a Boxter I do not care about how much I spend money is not the main issue and for compliance it can be transfer from one workshop to another one i can complie the car first and get the safety cert. ready but I won't sell the car like $13000 it will be aleast $15000 plus at simple as that!!

My suggestion is, get it complied (compliance plate issued) & registered. That way it will be off DOTARS hands and become a state government matter, as far as I know the state governments can't order your car to be re-exported, or destroyed (from importation & compliance issues). It will be easier to sell with compliance anyway. Why do you want so much more (nearly $5000 more) to sell the car with compliance? If there's nothing wrong with it, it should not take much time/effort, and if the workshop is dodgy enough (or if you pay them extra) they may even comply it without those doors + intrusion bars.

Those who are thinking of using the car as a track car. No, you cannot use a car that was approved for importation into Australia for road use as a track car or even for parts. They have a different category for Rally/Closed Circuit Racing use. Point 8 on http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/saf...rting.aspx#5.06

If this car is not complied, the only other options will be re-exportation or destruction.

Sorry mate, I don't mean to ruin your thread, but potential buyers need to know the facts. I had a friend who was talked into buying an uncomplied car that could never get registered.

Edited by toyos

My suggestion is, get it complied (compliance plate issued) & registered. That way it will be off DOTARS hands and become a state government matter, as far as I know the state governments can't order your car to be re-exported, or destroyed (from importation & compliance issues). It will be easier to sell with compliance anyway. Why do you want so much more (nearly $5000 more) to sell the car with compliance? If there's nothing wrong with it, it should not take much time/effort, and if the workshop is dodgy enough (or if you pay them extra) they may even comply it without those doors + intrusion bars.

Those who are thinking of using the car as a track car. No, you cannot use a car that was approved for importation into Australia for road use as a track car or even for parts. They have a different category for Rally/Closed Circuit Racing use. Point 8 on http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/saf...rting.aspx#5.06

If this car is not complied, the only other options will be re-exportation or destruction.

Sorry mate, I don't mean to ruin your thread, but potential buyers need to know the facts. I had a friend who was talked into buying an uncomplied car that could never get registered.

The car is 100% complieable if not i refund 110% money and the reason why I sell is for $15000 after complie it was i need to spend my time take the car to workshop and pick up after all the work then send it to rego so $15000 is my price after compliance

to all people who interest if you had any question regards to the car please call me on 0413861558 due to I have a problem with my internet access at my home Optus said it take 5 working to repair it so i am unable to on-line please ring me or sms me regards this car I am happy to sell the car with the compliance and my price are nego thanks