SAU Community

Warning Light - A/t

Hi

I know most of you have manual transmission, but you might know....

driving home this afternoon a warning light came on - its the "A/T" light. So, off to the "manual" I go )not a very comprehensive manual - just a few pages!!!). No mention of the "A/T" light or any other warning light!!! WTF!!!!

A/T - must be something to do with automatic transmission - maybe the AT oil? Checked that - seems like thats fine....

Have done some Internet searching, nothing really coming up - will now start searching the forum but I wanted to ask the helpful experts in the ACT first :) (that enough crawling??? :worship: )

Any help/advice would be great.

Hi

I know most of you have manual transmission, but you might know....

driving home this afternoon a warning light came on - its the "A/T" light. So, off to the "manual" I go )not a very comprehensive manual - just a few pages!!!). No mention of the "A/T" light or any other warning light!!! WTF!!!!

A/T - must be something to do with automatic transmission - maybe the AT oil? Checked that - seems like thats fine....

Have done some Internet searching, nothing really coming up - will now start searching the forum but I wanted to ask the helpful experts in the ACT first :) (that enough crawling??? :D )

Any help/advice would be great.

I don't think you actually have the manual as they are pretty hard to come by and are hundreds of pages not just a few. Previous owner somehow got one from NZ.

Does the AT light come on for 2s and then blink for 8s when starting the car? If so that indicates that a fault has been detected and you need to get it checked.

The car can turn on that light and lock the transmission into 3rd gear and will do so if it detects a serious problem. It can also do so when "excessive wheelspin is detected". I've only ever seen that once when I was driving down the parkway with no wheelspin - go figure.

The AT is rather susceptible to faults and mine had quite a few solenoids replaced before I bought it.

I don't think you actually have the manual as they are pretty hard to come by and are hundreds of pages not just a few. Previous owner somehow got one from NZ.

Does the AT light come on for 2s and then blink for 8s when starting the car? If so that indicates that a fault has been detected and you need to get it checked.

The car can turn on that light and lock the transmission into 3rd gear and will do so if it detects a serious problem. It can also do so when "excessive wheelspin is detected". I've only ever seen that once when I was driving down the parkway with no wheelspin - go figure.

The AT is rather susceptible to faults and mine had quite a few solenoids replaced before I bought it.

Thanks for the reply

No, the light just came on (solid) on my way home yesterday afternoon. No excessive whell spin so that couldnt be it....

Went out to the car this morning and started it, the light comes on as you start (like all the others, testing them, etc) but after the car started it didnt light up. Drove to work, light didnt come on.

Drove home tonight - light didnt come on.....go figure!!!!!

I'll watch it and if it comes on again or starts playing up I'll get it checked

• 5 weeks later...

That will be the shift solenoids, a pretty common fault on the tiptronics. When damaged they go open-circuit under operating temp, then when they cool down they work perfectly fine. Makes diagnosing the fault a pain as it's illusive and sometimes is there sometimes isn't. It gets worse and worse until eventually they'll go open circuit permanently and lock you in 3rd gear until you get the box fixed.

I had all my ones replaced under warrenty though so didn't feel the pain of the bill associated with getting them done *ouch*

You'll need to get Shift solenoid A + B replaced, an arse of a job to do and delivery times on new solenoids from Japan can be excessive.

Just wait until the coil-packs go...another R34 drama! Splitfires will save you that headache as well, pays to get them in even before it crops up.