SAU Community

Fg Falcon Xr6 Turbo - Quickest Aussie Built Car

CarAdvice's review on Manuel XR6 Turbo, new Launch Control feature

In the XR range the real treat comes with the XR6 Turbo with the revised six-speed manual gearbox. You’ve just got to try the launch control – we did and it is manic.

Pop the car into 1st gear, floor the throttle and it will lock the revs onto 3500rpm, then dump the clutch and hang one!!

A better shot of the interior 2008fordfgfalconxr6interior.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how a big turbo 6 cyl will drink only 11 litres per 100 KM. Maybe when its revving below 1500 RPM without using the turbo.

Not using the turbo doesn't necessarily make it more fuel efficient. A lot of companies are using turbochargers to improve fuel economy, not necessarily squeeze more power. Using FI and making a little bit of boost permits the driver / auto box to hold a higher gear rather than shifting, which can bring gains in economy.

A TT V35 / Z33 is noticably more efficient, while commuting sensibly around town, than a stock NA car.

In the Drive section of the past Saturday's Age they reviewed all of the new Falcon series. The new XR6 turbo drank 18.3L per 100kms with some "spirited" driving! So much for being more fuel efficient and singing the praises of the 6 speed box.

I still like it but that fuel economy is ridiculous. Not many will buy these with rising fuel prices. I can't imagine Ford releasing a twin turbo when they change over the engines.

R32 went from 89 to 94...

and the new ford is ugly..

and which moron said how does the new gtr compare.. you've got to be kidding me right..

it doesnt compare.. the ford is a nice family car.. its not a super car lol

5.1 secs 0-100 is an awesome time for a family car.. absolutely shockin if u try to compare it with super cars

In honestly thou, i like the look of the fat VE.. big gaurds and all. maybe not so much the HSV range with those ugly as rear lights... but teh SS V is a nice lookin car.. but this ford blows the doors off it :P

This car is going to be the new Aussie performance king for sure. 5.1/13.4 with the A/C on is ridiculous fast for a stock $45K car. Rated fuel economy is actually 10.9L/100km and it has launch control. Wait till MOTOR get their hands on it.

I'm more excited by the F6 though - same car with an extra 40kw - tipped to be a mid 12 second factory car - exhaust, boost, ECU edit (under $2K) easy 11's, maybe 10's :whistling:

Still I dunno - I bought a new BA XR6 had heaps of warranty claims and its resale was terrible (lost $20K in just over a year). Turbos have better resale though and Holden are just as bad...Point is no matter how fast Ford/Holden make these cars go, I wouldnt buy another till they up the quality - I'm not asking for Jap/Euro quality but for the price you expect the car to not be in the dealer once a month getting warranty fixed.

I will be looking at getting the G6E Turbo in a few months time. Preety decent interior for an aussie built car.

And for all those saying its ugly and it has platic this and some other winge... look in your garage at what ur driving first before hanging shit on other cars

I drive an R32 GTR.. the interior is as plain as they come.. almost no shape, everythings black.

But its functional.. it doesnt have cuts or curves and sharp angles to make it ugly.. coz its just plain.

Problem is when u try to make a dash fancy.. then it goes ugly. When its plain, your not tryin anything so it doesnt bother anyone because its just plain..

plus who looks @ the dash when ur thrashin the crap outta ur car.. its not like u stop @ the next set of lights after uve won/lost and say, "hey man, thats a flash dash u got there buddy"

I drive an R32 GTR.. the interior is as plain as they come.. almost no shape, everythings black.

But its functional.. it doesnt have cuts or curves and sharp angles to make it ugly.. coz its just plain.

Problem is when u try to make a dash fancy.. then it goes ugly. When its plain, your not tryin anything so it doesnt bother anyone because its just plain..

plus who looks @ the dash when ur thrashin the crap outta ur car.. its not like u stop @ the next set of lights after uve won/lost and say, "hey man, thats a flash dash u got there buddy"

Wow, if you buy a car for the soul purpose of being a boy racer on the streets then sure, who gives a toss what the interior looks like. You may as well rip it all out and just leave your drivers seat, put in a roll cage and turn it into true D(ickhead)-spec drifter.

Back on topic. Good to see how far Australian built cars have come in terms of driveline performance over the past 5-10 years.

The zf6spd auto is a phenomenal transmission (makes you actually want to buy an auto!) and coupled with an I6 turbo engine really shows what they are capable of, even the performance times thus far back this up. Having driven a number of different variants, you can certainly tell how good it really is. With the addition of transient over boost, as well as launch assist, i would love to see how the xr6t 6spd manual performs on the track.

f**k off man. who seriously sits in there car and goes

"ohh f**k i have a nice dash"

u get in and u see where everything is see how it all works and chances are u look @ ur dash a few times if its a new car

then u get over it

they have come a long way... and theyre very good now.. probably best/fastest family cars out

f**k off man. who seriously sits in there car and goes

"ohh f**k i have a nice dash"

u get in and u see where everything is see how it all works and chances are u look @ ur dash a few times if its a new car

then u get over it

they have come a long way... and theyre very good now.. probably best/fastest family cars out

I was going to get a 06 STI when I was looking for a new car in 06 but the cheap looking interior turned me off. Why pay 60K for a car with the same interior as the 20K base model.

There are 2 main types of interiors, luxury and boyracer. You fit into one of these through the course of your life.

I really really do not like it. There is something about that styling that doesnt agree with me

Wait for the 427 GTS

The W427 looks like shit?

Sure it's 7 litres and 370-odd kw but I'll bet it won't go that much better than the FPV F6 to warrant the extra cost. It'll be a car made for the die hard Holden fans (That'll probably get munched by someone that gets an F6 and plays with the power a little bit - or someone with an R35 lol)

I seriously doubt that ford will allow the turbo to be so quick.( 12s ). The trend in the past has always been to push the V8 for the top line performance car and the everything else after it. if the factory turbo falc is running that fast it will kill the market for the V8...As for a twin turbo V6 in the future model....I am a little sceptical they will do this,maybe if it comes from Ford US twin turbo, but I just dont see Ford Oz going down the engineering path trying to squeeze twin turbos onto a V6. Its a far more expensive excercise than the single turbo straight six currently in production