SAU Community

240k Vert Nearly Finished 1st Stage Of Rebuild

Hi Guys,

I've nearly gotten the vert to the stage where it can be registered. List of mods as follows

Engine: 318 cubic inch, mild cam not much else

Gearbox: std supra 5 speed

Roof: gone, grotty canves with flimsy support bars in replace of it. Suprisingly water proof at 130kmh.

Rear Suspension: 300zx Z32 twin turbo rear cradle with R230 LSD, body modified to suit

Front Suspension/Steering: R31 crossmember rack & pinion, DR30 struts, Z31 hubs

Brakes: R32 GTR front rotors 300zx Z32 rear calipers

Electrical: Universal wiring harness adapted to suit original controls

Body: rear arches cut and welded to accept wider track, same with front. GTR style flares fitted

Interior: Standard except for new carpet and gagues

I will be registering it like this and then saving for stage 2 of the resto.

The next step is to rebuild the engine with forged stroker crank, will become 390 cubic inch 6.4 litre after that. Edelbrock alloy heads, demon carby, roll cage, proper paint job by a panel shop not one from my dusty garage, interior to be redone, trims, seats, roof, nice set of rims. Just need to save up another 15g's and then stage 2 is go.

post-25281-1207898933_thumb.jpg

post-25281-1207899004_thumb.jpg

post-25281-1207899100_thumb.jpg

post-25281-1207899155_thumb.jpg

Awwwwwesome, great looking project, I think you'll have something rather unique once finished. Can you see yourself rockin up to summernats, what a weapon It'd be there.

Can you tell me where you sourced the flared gaurds and what was the cost of them?

thanks Ricky

Why a 318 hemi, or 390?????????

There is a 4.4L all alloy P76 V8 powered MR30 getting around that handles worse than a pig, why would you want a boat anchor like the 318/390 in the front when there are lots of Japanese V8's that will accomplish the same end result and give a better handling package.

I know of a project 280ZX that is using a Toyota 1UZFE 4.0L DOHC 32V V8, 206kW at the fly, over 400nM and the motor is lighter than the original 6.

Keep it all in the family with a VH41 and have very similar to above.

?????????????

Looking Good Andrew.

Ricky, GT-R reproduction parts are available from Challenge Fibreglass. Details available here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthr...1641&page=2

You should send them an email soon, as they are about to make up some more. Only C110 parts though. You have a 210 don't you?

Ghostrider, engine choice was governed by what ever was laying around his garage at home. The Nissan V8 fairy must have not stopped at his house that week, so he used the 318 he had sitting in the corner doing nothing. His car, His choice.

Why a 318 hemi, or 390?????????

There is a 4.4L all alloy P76 V8 powered MR30 getting around that handles worse than a pig, why would you want a boat anchor like the 318/390 in the front when there are lots of Japanese V8's that will accomplish the same end result and give a better handling package.

I know of a project 280ZX that is using a Toyota 1UZFE 4.0L DOHC 32V V8, 206kW at the fly, over 400nM and the motor is lighter than the original 6.

Keep it all in the family with a VH41 and have very similar to above.

?????????????

It's a Chrysler fella!! no Hemi here. If it was a Hemi bb I'd take it over just about anything else available for pure HP apps..

I've been running 318,340,360 and 383 in the front of my cars for decades...no problems here

Very interesting project...looks like the block is sitting back far enough I reckon she'll be interesting thing when complete.

Why a 318 hemi, or 390????????? There is a 4.4L all alloy P76 V8 powered MR30 getting around that handles worse than a pig, why would you want a boat anchor like the 318/390 in the front when there are lots of Japanese V8's that will accomplish the same end result and give a better handling package. I know of a project 280ZX that is using a Toyota 1UZFE 4.0L DOHC 32V V8, 206kW at the fly, over 400nM and the motor is lighter than the original 6. Keep it all in the family with a VH41 and have very similar to above

Firstly it's not a hemi, I wish it was Madbung understands. Why assume that because you know of a 4.4 mr30 going around that handles like shit that others will? try post that statement on hybridz's and see what happens. There are no japanese V8's that will acomplish what I want, that is an old school pushrod sound and massive cubic inches while still being a small block V8. When the engine is stroked out to a 390/395 it will have 300kw at the wheels and a truck load of torque. 300kw is just 1hp per cube (easy to get with just stage 1 cam) for what I'm bulding and the engine will be a low rpm very reliable unit. I looked long and hard at putting a RB30 with gtr head in as I had a RB30 also sitting in the shed but the cost was far to high for the power/torque I want (also take into account long term reliability fo high reving turbo motor vs lazy v8). The parts for the stroker motor from the US are only 6k

The L24 with accessories weighs 389lbs/176 kg The 318 weighs approx 570/258kg with accessories, a difference 0f approx 82 kg. Now when you take into account the alloy heads, alloy intake and alloy water pump I'll be putting on, fuel pump and battery moved into boot, thermo fans instead of engine fan. There is fek all difference in weight, less than a empty vs full tank of gas. The weight is also lower and further back behind the front axel line with only the first two cylinders in front of it which will result in a better weight distribution. I'm also toying with the idea of sitting the radiator further in as there is so much free room now.

So taking all this into account Ghostrider please explain to me how my car is going to handle like it has a boat anchor in it and how a japanese v8 could do the same and not cost 3 times as much???????????

Ghostrider, engine choice was governed by what ever was laying around his garage at home. The Nissan V8 fairy must have not stopped at his house that week, so he used the 318 he had sitting in the corner doing nothing. His car, His choice.

Hi Camo, the engine was sitting in the shed among others engines and although what you say is somewhat true I must add that i was in love with the mopar small block due to my VC Valiant being able to do a line lock at 600rpm and just polish the tyre with whips of smoke coming off them. The engines are designed for american suv trucks so they have heaps of torque real low in the rpm range which is what I want. The Nissan V8 fairy did come visit my house but she wanted too much money to perform the lurid acts I wanted from her so i sent her away. I got my arches from Challenge as Camo has suggested, just make sure you tell him to fix his mold on one of the front guards end as it's a dogs breakfast. Other than that they're fine.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Just like to add that I can also now bolt a 360 block straight in which can be stroked out to 427 cubic inches. That could be 7 litres of power in a Little old Datsun Skyline, I value my life so I'll most probably just be sticking with the 6.4litre engine.

Thanks Mr Camo, just sent Phil an email. Blame it on that black 2door, it really got my attention especially now that I have my old 280z motor and 3x 45 webers again. Only thing is I still have a 260z motor and twin 2" S.U's to sell. Ricky

good on ya!!...i've been toying with the idea of a DR30 and a 302 clevland thats laying in MY backyard...hmmmm..

Edited by dodgsun

good on ya!!...i've been toying with the idea of a DR30 and a 302 clevland thats laying in MY backyard...hmmmm..

Do it......

It all starts with parts you have lying around or a fast car you went in once. Exhaust is fitted next week and the fuel tank is getting welded as I type so I should have a running V8 datto shortly......stay tuned

Thanks Mr Camo, just sent Phil an email. Blame it on that black 2door, it really got my attention especially now that I have my old 280z motor and 3x 45 webers again. Only thing is I still have a 260z motor and twin 2" S.U's to sell. Ricky

Hi Ricky

Are you in WA?

If so put an ad up at www.wazregister.com about the engine you have for sale.

I never heard back from Phil. Did you get a reply?

Edited by Mr Camouflage

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I watched and enjoyed your video. I never would have thought of going down the road you have taken myself, but it looks and sounds a million dollars.

Respect!

Cheers Drew, it will sound a lot better when the engine is rebuilt and is pumping out some more ponies. The car actually has a really bad paint job as it was done by me, it just looks good in photos. But hey who gives a shit about the paint job it's a convertible V8 skyline.

I'm saving now, probably for the next few years to finish it off properly. It will end up being 6.4lt supercharged with a roll cage. Interior will be one of the last things to get done.

I'm going to rev it properly (not letting my mate do it) and post another video shortly so watch this space.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a high def video of the vert. It's quite fast now and sounds pretty nice for a $1000 engine/gearbox of ebay but I can't wait to drive/hear it after the rebuild.

Right at the end in the garage you can see a mates 1970's toyota coaster bus, it's the best vehicle for camping and concerts and it also has a 202 with celica 5 speed so you can cruise on the hwy nicely.