SAU Community

Yellow Sticker

hoony

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he wants rims cos it is easier on his wallet, then change the tyres when he has the money.

Tyres don't just all of a sudden go bald.

You have to budget for things like tyres, if you can't, you can't afford the car. Simple.

lol...

i should have explained myself a bit more specifically... sorry fellas (and chickies ;))

just borrowing rims for one day to get over the pits, have a few people over this week and next to check out my rims so hopefully i might get rid of them...

will use that money to buy new rims which will have new tyres!

simple, just a quick fix is all...

yeah at the top of my head i don't budget for tyres, i actually didn't really know they were bald (yes that might sound unconvincing but yeah i'm being serious)

if i'm willing to pay 3k annually for insurance i'm sure i won't mind paying a few hundred for some good tyres, i just have a time limit that's all...

only thing bothering me is the 6 day time limit + uni assignments (with exams in 3 weeks) etc. etc.

will possibly be contacting a few of you shortly...

any more advice or opinions throw them at me!

much appreciated,

cheers,

Andrew :happy:

Edited by fei-sti_rex

I didn't have a problem with 235/45 & 255/40??

Hey ossie,,

i got the same tyres width/profile on mine

ive been wondering for awhile how come the back profile is smaller then the front? Is that to keep the speedo correct?

Edited by br3ndan

profile would be the same, back and front

na its not.. on ossie's front is 45 and back is 40.. same with mine.. must b a reason for it.

na its not.. on ossie's front is 45 and back is 40.. same with mine.. must b a reason for it.

the profile is dependant on the width of the tyre.

ie the wider you go, to keep the same sidewall height, the profile number will be smaller.

So since the 235 is a smaller width it runs a 45 profile, and the 255 has the 40 profile, but the actual side wall and rolling diameter should be identical, if that makes any sence :nyaanyaa:

OK, little lesson for you:

235/45 means the tyre is 235mm wide, and the side wall is 45% of 235. This is called the aspect ratio.

255/40 means the tyre is 255mm wide, and the side wall is 40% of 255. Does that make any sense? So they are the same, but the rears are wider, and the side wall stays the same

DUDE PLEASE READ COS THIS IS THE MOST INSIGHTFUL SOLUTION HERE

dude

think of this logically

the police are a government department who give you a yellow sticker

this is a defect notice which means you have to do to the department of planning and infrastructure's vehicle examination centre.

this is a completely different authorative body that has nothing to do with the wa police dept.

the DPI are the people who will deem your car roadworth or not. if THEY say your tyres are legal. they your tyres are legal. NOT the police. NOT sau forum members. THEM.

your sideskirts don't have to come off cos the car isn't measured at that height. ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the car, which is the exhaust.

your best bet if you have a defective car, and you think there will be more problems with the car, is RING UP the warwick examination centre. PRE BOOK AN EXAMINATION. the staff here are decent happy guys, not saying they're nice, they're just more of a pleasure to deal with than other places.

ring them up, explain your predicament, explain that you feel you were treated un-justly by the officers, and you would like a second opinion, a full examination and report of the car with a NEW work order

this shows maturity and co-operation with them. it's not "buttering them up" it's JUST helping them make their job easier.

that said, any bits n pieces that are on the car that you think should be fixed, FIX IT. save them from having to create other work order items

This will give you a 1 month extension to get the work done correctly on your own time.

the police give you a 10 day deadline to get their work order done, this is a condition of the police. NOT of the DPI. so if things aren't fixed when you take it over the exam centre, that's no hassle. because chances are they will find other things wrong anyway and you'll have to come back for re-examination, cos hey, it IS a piece of machinery, nothing will be perfect

so yeah. follow these steps, and save this mad rush hassle that you seem to be persuing, there's no need for it and if you follow the steps i've suggested you'll find your experience with it a lot easier.

to save this from needing to be repeated i think it should be posted in the DIY thread as to how to save your defect notice from becoming a brain tumour.

hope this helps

-Rowan

the DPI are the people who will deem your car roadworth or not. if THEY say your tyres are legal. they your tyres are legal. NOT the police. NOT sau forum members. THEM.

But if we can help him know how illegal his car is, that'll make it much easier for him to get rid of it

your sideskirts don't have to come off cos the car isn't measured at that height. ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the car, which is the exhaust.

In a stock car, this is the exhaust. Have you seen how low his skirts are? MUCH lower then the exhaust!

your best bet if you have a defective car, and you think there will be more problems with the car, is RING UP the warwick examination centre. PRE BOOK AN EXAMINATION. the staff here are decent happy guys, not saying they're nice, they're just more of a pleasure to deal with than other places.

Depends on who you get really, and how they are feeling on the day. No, I havent had any experience, but its the same as every other job

so yeah. follow these steps, and save this mad rush hassle that you seem to be persuing, there's no need for it and if you follow the steps i've suggested you'll find your experience with it a lot easier.

Too things isnt a "mad rush"

Thats just my 2c

But if we can help him know how illegal his car is, that'll make it much easier for him to get rid of it

but.. see.. just because YOU say as a forum member that his staggered tyre size is illegal.. doesn't mean the vehicle examiner is going to pick him up on that, this creates un-necessary work.. he may over look the tyre size, and put a work order item like "affix license plate securely", that's the thing though, neither of us know what the examiner will say, so it's best to get his or her opinion first

In a stock car, this is the exhaust. Have you seen how low his skirts are? MUCH lower then the exhaust!

when your vehicle is examined, you drive over a block of concrete that protrude up into the centre of your car. it does not weight the height where your sideskirts are. *if* the examiner chooses to measure the height at the sideskirts, he would need to get a ruler and measure by hand, mostly, they don't have the time for this. especially considering that the tyres and wheels run along the ground. thus negating the height of the skirts to a moot point

Depends on who you get really, and how they are feeling on the day. No, I havent had any experience, but its the same as every other job

yes, yes it does... BUT the hting i was trying to say, if you rely on them to give you a work order straight up, rather than rocking up with a dicey car which has obviously recently had sideskirts removed and the front bumper is a different colour, and the wheels have obviously been switched over, they're going to get the impression that you think they're stupid and won't notice your car was highly illegal, has been altered to get over the pits, Only to return to it's boro state of affairs

..and rightly so i say

Too things isnt a "mad rush"

Thats just my 2c

trust me - ANYTHING in 6 days is a mad rush, esp when you're trying to source rims

plus

no matter what he does, i guarantee you they will find more things wrong with the car, i'm just saying it's easier to just face reality and just get it done properly rather than getting stuffed around taht's all!

Matt;

lol saw the note you passed onto me dude, haha was walking with a friend and she was like, 'hey, i think you got a ticket or something' o started sh*tting myself haha then i was like oh Matt how nice haha yeah i just bought some Enkei's today that i'm going to put on AFTER the sticker is gone, sold my Work Emotion CR Kai's... pretty sad to see them go :( in their place until thursday are R33 GTST stockies... god he looks like he's dressed in Armani wearing Spend-Less shoes haha, i did say in spotted man, not sure if you saw... we still needa have that beer at the tav dude!

Vincent;

only two days to go man, have to fix my headlights and then it should be alright... have to wait and see i guess, gonna get them checked out tomorrow eh :P

Rowan;

thanks for the advice dude, always good to get some advice from someone that knows what's going on... must've been fun working for the DPI for a while eh :( will see how my headlights go tomorrow then ask for that extension, in saying that, will i have to pay the extra fee when i go get the car 're-inspected' and then once more when i think my car can be deemed roadworthy, basically what i'm trying to say is, if i take your advice and do what you've suggestion above, will i have to pay, in total, two inspection fees?

cheers fellas, thanks for everything eh...

and Rhys, i might be seeing you at work tomorrow or thursday morning, sort this thing out, with my brakes as well man...

talk soon and will keep you all updated!!!

cheers,

Andrew :P

Did you even look at the headlight globe contacts like I suggested? or are you just going to blow money and pay someone to fix what is likely very easy to do yourself?