SAU Community

Staggered Wheels Sizes On A Gtr For Road Use?

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 95 GTR (V Spec if it matters) and reading form threads and speaking to a friend who track races a WRX I am quite confused about what size tyres I should buy.

I have purchased new rims - 18x9.5 (+15 offset) to replace the staggered (UGLY) mismatched rims sizes that came on the car - 17x9 at the back and 17x8 at the front.

My tyre guy (who I have been seeing for years for my Silvia) is really pushing staggered sizes. 265x40 for the back and 235\245x40 for the front. He supplies rubber to some team who races GTRs and is just going from this. He was honest and said that he isn't an expert but as long as the rolling diameter is the same, then it should all be OK. Also with the GTR being mainly rear wheel drive then then again, shouldn't be a problem.

Forum threads\Google have touched on keeping the rim size the same but never mentioned tyre sizes. Again, form threads I've read say to keep the same rubber all round, and to watch out for different wear, but again nothing about rubber size. And all threads relate back to the ATTESA AWD not ike it.

I'm curious to find out what current GTR drivers have with regards to rim sizes and tyre sizes? I've read the stock GTR rim is 17x9 with 245s all round and just from that am inclined to get 245s all round too. I am more than happy to be corrected, but I just want what is best for the car.

Do 255s fit in the front guard without rolling the guards? 255s would be nice all round as well...

Any help from people in the know would be appreciated. As the topic says, it is just for road use....

Cheers,

James

Easy: Run the same size front & rear simply because GT-R's lack front grip & running small front tyres makes the situation worse.

Thanks djr81. I though it would have been the "easy" answer, but just wanted to confirm.

Does anyone know, for standard ride height, how wide the rubber can be for the front tyres on an 18" rim? I'm concerend about the tyre rubbing in the front guard....

Cheers again.

This is true.. As long as rolling diameter is the same it is ok.

But this being said.. Im with DJr81.. My GTS4 under steers quite badly.. so want as much grip on the front as possible.. and the last thing you want it to loose grip in the front wheels when comming out of corners flat chat or launching.. because if you begin to spin the front wheels at an un even rate from the rear because you dont have as much grip on the front tryes as on the back.. then you are in trouble...

And its not entirely true about the GTR being RWD most of thime.. 5% front torque is constantly being sent to the front wheels in the R34's..

So short answere.. got even all way round..

I run Bridgestone 265/35/18 all round on my 33 GTR rims are 18x9.5 +12, and they dont scrub. The cars even dropped ~30mm and no issues can even go lower and no scrubing. You will find most people run this tyre and rim combination. The tires look good on the rim , they're a little stretched. But each brand of tyre is slightly different Knew a guy who ran 245/40/18 with similar sized rim (probably as stretched as you wanna go)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

As to what GTR he supplies rubber for, he didn't say. I can always ask.

I gather that if I get 255s all round it should be fine! (c:

Cheers,

James