SAU Community

Drift or Powerslide

funkymonkey

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by PHaT MR30

Jap drifting is about being 90 degrees to the corner. before, during and after the corner.

doing a skid round a corner and kicking the back end out is not drift

no its not jap drifting is pointing the nose of the car at the exit angle of the turn. drifting can be done by 6 different methods.

1) E-brake

2) Shift-lock

3) braking

4) Fainto

5) Power over

6) Dynamic

if you really REALLY want to know and want to buy a kick ass DVD you should get the Speacial edition Best Motoring Drift Bible it is bad ass. Keiichi Tsuchiya is teaching you how to properly drift

"funkymonkey" when does it stop being a drift and become a powerslide. it becomes a power slide when you loose traction after the turn has passed, if you slide and hold it anywere before during or just before the end or the corner is drifting, you could use power sliding for drifting also you can power slide one way and when you regain traction it tosses you to the other direction and you use that as a "Dynamic" drift it is really simple after you watch that Video its cool shit.

Originally posted by cowboyb

I just thought drifting was losing traction whilst doing a corner and regaining control from the slide before to slide into a curb...I guess I could be wrong, since I dont drift myself :D

That's pretty much what all the ppl that try to be heros on the city roads do... and that's so not drift... and then they go "aw man did you check that mad drift I just pulled?"

• 9 months later...

ok, i've seen those tutorial vids too. And it's a load of crap how everyone suddenly goes off using all these terms that the japs use, such as 'e brake' lol, like WTF? i think you mean handbrake?

I agree that these habibs that do fully sick schidds around the corner are not drifting. The idea with drift is put the wheels out of traction while still being in control. I notice that some of you guys reckon that it is not a drift if you are not pointing out before the corner. It is a much safer way to learn drifting by just bringing the back out once in the corner, and working with that first. it gives you an idea of countersteering to regain control. I started like that in the rain. Much less chance of spinning your whole car around or mounting the kerb.

If u want to see some awesome drift footage just type "drift" into Kazaa. Though u may need broadband as most of the files are 10-20mb.

ok, i've seen those tutorial vids too. And it's a load of crap how everyone suddenly goes off using all these terms that the japs use, such as 'e brake' lol, like WTF? i think you mean handbrake?
Yeah that annoys me too, but E-brake is an American term, in the video they mix in the term "side brake" which I presume is a Japanese transliteration...

Well, to me powersliding has always seemed out of control. Where-as with a drift you've still got control of the car as sideways as it is.

I.e. powersliding to me is when the car is sideways, with all four wheels doing absolutely nothing in the way of forward momentum or directional changes. And that its a power slide and your about to hit a pole;)

Who knows, thats how I've always seen it. I know that you can get into slides with power to carry through corners etc, and I don't call that drift.. Alot of cars here flick the ass out coming out of a corner and say, see that drift.. Or fishy it up the road with minor angle on the car and say whoa drifted that.

Whereas its more like, wow, you glorified a chirp.. Let me see you keep that fishy going around the next two corners without killing yourself.

I see drift as a form of powersliding with the occasional need to the handbrake.

Powersliding is more brute power that sends your 'power' sliding out of a corner.

To myself Powersliding is exactly that.. 'Power' 'Sliding' Using power to create a slide, not like drift that some times uses the handbrake or a touch of the brake pedal to help hold the slide a little longer.

Essentially Drifting is powersliding to a certian extent BUT powersliding is not drifting.

If your looking out the drivers side or passenger side window to see where the f**k your going for more than a couple of seconds without spinning or overcorrecting... your drifting :P

sideways is sideways it just comes down to how long you can hold it like that... (directly proportional to the size of your balls)

If your looking out the drivers side or passenger side window to see where the f**k your going for more than a couple of seconds without spinning or overcorrecting... your drifting :P

sideways is sideways it just comes down to how long you can hold it like that... (directly proportional to the size of your balls)

LOL! excellent. :(

Funky, this is drifting...

http://www.carmode.net/carmode/movi...06file/yv86.wmv

Justin, reason you say/see idiots drifting poorly in Skylines is because they haven't setup the car properly and the car is too heavy to start with...plus who drifts in Skylines anyway except for Nomu! Not that it can't be done just not as elegant and sustained with a lighter car and sufficent horsepower.