SAU Community

Car Battery Keeps Dying Out

i have had my skyline r33 for about 10months now n since i never had any problems with my battery and my sound system, but about 4weeks ago it started to die out so i bought a new battery, which has 2yr warranty. but within few hrs after driving the car wont start... either the alternator wont charge the battery or the my sound system has drain the battery fast!!

i also did some experiment with the amp, when i unplugged the amp from the battery the car has enough power to start but when its plugged it has to b jumped started. does this mean the amp is taking to much power? or the battery is dead? i drive around 20-50kms a day wouldnt that charge the battery enough?

and also every morning when im about to go to work the battery is dead again! so i have to jump start it again!

what seems to be the problem? alternator wont charge? loose cable? the amp? or dodgy wiring on the sound system?

plz help guys :P, thanks

I

get a volts meter

my mechanic lives like 4 houses up from me so im lucky but he puts the volts meter on the lugs (when my battery was bothering me) and it will tell you the current the alternator is feeding

all you have to do is have to car running and know your readings on the volts meter to read the alternator

if its not that go to supercheap and they do a battery test for free

i know its a long shot but if its a bosch battery i sware 1 in 20 of them are screwed from scratch

i have had my skyline r33 for about 10months now n since i never had any problems with my battery and my sound system, but about 4weeks ago it started to die out so i bought a new battery, which has 2yr warranty. but within few hrs after driving the car wont start... either the alternator wont charge the battery or the my sound system has drain the battery fast!!

i also did some experiment with the amp, when i unplugged the amp from the battery the car has enough power to start but when its plugged it has to b jumped started. does this mean the amp is taking to much power? or the battery is dead? i drive around 20-50kms a day wouldnt that charge the battery enough?

and also every morning when im about to go to work the battery is dead again! so i have to jump start it again!

what seems to be the problem? alternator wont charge? loose cable? the amp? or dodgy wiring on the sound system?

plz help guys :P , thanks

I

This could mean a few of things.

Either your alternator is on its way out and not maintaining the batt (An alternator only surface charges a battery and does not charge a very low battery to its maximum) or

Above + a battery that has been sitting around in a shop can and will loose charge if not maintained. Installing in a car with a faulty alternator will produce your fault.

You may have a problem with your amplifier drawing too much current due to a fault (I have seen this on an amp before)

Check the voltage across the batt terminals while running. If it checks out 13.9V - 14.7V, disconnect the amp from the battery and take your car for a really good run and see how it goes starting the next morning. If it does start, try your sound system next.

There could be another fault causing this but that's where i would look first.

I have the same problem, currently going to replace my old (from 2001) head unit, and get someone to rip out my amp and rewire everything properly.

my mech got his auto elec to check it out and yes, it was the stereo/amp that was draining new batteries after a week.

• 1 year later...

Huh i currently have the same problem aswell but it only started after i put in an aftermarket piggy back comp for the car! It ran like crap when i put it in so i took it out and since then i loose my battery over night!!! Now i did a few simple tests and have found out (so far) that my car is actually running a positive charge from the ground in the boot to the negative terminal!!!!!!!!! FU**S me as to how that works but a few people have told me that it could be a stuck solanoid somewhere or even a realy bad earth first place to look is the cars cigarette lighter as that is one of the biggest current drawers in it!

I disconected my amps and stereo and upgradded my earthing strap and it seems to be doing the trick so here hopes all is good!!!! :P

Huh i currently have the same problem aswell but it only started after i put in an aftermarket piggy back comp for the car! It ran like crap when i put it in so i took it out and since then i loose my battery over night!!! Now i did a few simple tests and have found out (so far) that my car is actually running a positive charge from the ground in the boot to the negative terminal!!!!!!!!! FU**S me as to how that works but a few people have told me that it could be a stuck solanoid somewhere or even a realy bad earth first place to look is the cars cigarette lighter as that is one of the biggest current drawers in it!

I disconected my amps and stereo and upgradded my earthing strap and it seems to be doing the trick so here hopes all is good!!!! :thumbsup:

If this was the case it would have started an electrical fire. or it would have fried most of the electricals in the car and it simple would not run or do much at all.

A really bad earth will not drain your battery at all.

A stuck soleniod? in what? you can rule that out as causing your dead battery.

You probly had an issue with your stereo drawing to much current while off too.

You have a capacitor?

I had 2x15inch subs and 2x1000wat amps + fusion capacitor. Only time battery died was wen the system was on for a few hours.

Sounds like shoddy wiring.

To check your battery,

You'll need a mult-meter. These checks are all taken at the battery terminals.

1. check the static voltage (no load) should be between 12.5 - 12.8 volts

2. check under load (cranking) should not drop under 9v

3. check Alt while charging (running) should be 13.6 to 14.3 volts