SAU Community

Stagea Miss

sturb25

I'm wary of spending money on coilpacks as usually you end up replacing perfectly functional items, only to find further down the track that it was the loom, CAS or similar that was the real problem.

Yeah, fair call.

If it is coilpacks...WTF is up with their quality in late model skylines? I have 20 year old ones in my HR31 which are still in A1 condition, but seems R32/33/Stag items crap out inside a decade.

I dunno, I'm new to the whole RB engine thing. I didn't know anything about coil packs before the Stagea. Last time I worked on an engine, it had one coil, leads and plugs that didn't require dismantling half the car to get to. :(

I'm wary of spending money on coilpacks as usually you end up replacing perfectly functional items, only to find further down the track that it was the loom, CAS or similar that was the real problem.

If it is coilpacks...WTF is up with their quality in late model skylines? I have 20 year old ones in my HR31 which are still in A1 condition, but seems R32/33/Stag items crap out inside a decade.

Why do coilpacks break down? Dunno but but over here agressive steam cleaning by MAF at the border probably doesn't help. Also stuffed plugs putting extra demands on them. If you do a search on this site there are 1001 opinions and horror stories. There seems to be no reliable way to test them. The multimeter doesn't always pick up the problem. A visual inspection for cracks, tracking or burn marks is worthwhile followed by a good clean and various forms of insulation have been suggested. Taking the cover off at night or in a dark garage and looking for arcing seems a good idea. You could try these cheap fixes before moving on to new coilpacks or looking at the other possible causes of missing

heat is the natural enemy of the coil pack as far as i know. RBxxDET = lots of heat nestled in betweem both cams with a nice cover to seal the heat in.

time does the rest.

Time does the rest? why are R33 ones etc failing in 10 years or so, when my HR31 items, being nestled in a hot little RB20DET for 2 decades are powering on though? Is it more an RB25 problem?

In any case, it doesn't sound or feel like ignition issues and the coilpacks appear fine from all possible inspections.

Any other ideas? Aside from fuel pump.

Later model (R33 S1.5 and Stagea S1 onwards) have the ignitor built into the coil pack, rather than a stand alone ignitor. Not sure if that's the issue, but it is a difference from the earlier models. That said I have been working on R32/33/34's since 1999 and I haven't found one failed coil pack, maybe I'm just lucky.

Cheers

Gary