SAU Community

General Question Regarding Intercoolers

I have an R33 GTST but I figure this question would relate to any model, I am wondering what the effects would be (good/bad/if any) from putting an aftermarket intercooler in whilst leaving the stock turbo installed. I understand that there is no real need, this just came up in conversation the other day and I'd like someone to clarify it for me.

Thanks,

Ive installed one while running stock boost.

I didnt notice anything bad. Ive tested it with my Apexi RSM + Gsensor, and it stills runs very similar times.

However i did notice it slightly change the sound of my blitz BOV.

The reason why i installed it was because i am a uni student, so most of my mods i do on my car have to come in stages due to money restrictions!!

Next few mods will be HD clutch, then onto boost controller/SAFC2 i think! Then off for tune! So the bigger FMIC will be used!

But to answer your questions, in my experience, I didnt notice any negative effects.

The reason why i installed it was because i am a uni student, so most of my mods i do on my car have to come in stages due to money restrictions!!

Same here I am going stage by stage, so i figure once I have finished replacing things like belts, water pump, thermostat etc i'll worry about additions like an intercooler.

Thats another thing I probabley dont need to do things like replace the thermostat but I am for the simple fact I will know its new and works perfectly.

Edited by Nimmo

cooler air hitting your engine, longer engine life, better combustion, better performance on hot days, but slightly more lag

go for a drive, feel the output pipe of your stock cooler, not that cold

find a mate with an aftermarket one, go for a drive, see how much colder it is?

Thanks guys for your input that clariflys everything for me, one other thing joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo you say not too big I seen many that say they are made for R33's so I guess these are an appropriate size then yeah?.

I also own a 33t... I also have more mods than this but I had the stock turbo with an FMIC and I can tell you there was most certainly a difference. Not one I would assume you would find on a road often but it's possible in an extreme ambient heat you would notice. Though depending on the sizing of the inter cooler you may notice similar issues I did. I have some rather good piping courtesy a shop I am not allowed to mention but if you were to searh posts would find >:P.

Basically I had better response.. infinetly better.. this is due to the fact my inter cooler is not the 3" thick 2x2m monstrosity most have. but you will not find it in a shop.. its a rather limited inter cooler solution which was custom made for someone else who I bought it off. The biggest noticeable difference was on a track my car didn't over heat in 10 seconds but instead gave me the opportunity to find out what else overheats when running wife open for long periods of time. When coupled with a good exhaust the response goes through the roof, coupled with a mammoth inter cooler I would expect the opposite effect on response but equal cooling characteristics.