SAU Community

Just Bought Kick A$$ Gaming Pc, What Games To Get?

25GTT

Awesome!!! where did you get your system from? have you started clocking yours yet?

everything is running on high mode in crysis and 2 times anti alias setting..... so i am now wondering after only 5 days how much i can clock the cpu and the gfx card to make it run even better :-)

Any good websites for me and MADGT4 to clock our pcs with?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good websites for me and MADGT4 to clock our pcs with?

http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/Overclock-CPUs-...-&-RAM.html

Basically, your effective clock speed is determined by your FSB (front side bus) x mulitper (which is fixed on all but the intel extreme edition CPUs & the AMD black editions).

The intel's uses a quad pumped FSB, the real FSB is for the E8xxxs are 1333/4 ~ 333mhz, so your E8400's 3ghz speed comes from 333mhz x 9 (the E8400's mulitper) ~ 3ghz

So basic overclocking is just to increase your FSB to get to the effective clock speed you want.

So if you want a speed of 3.4ghz, you would increase your FSB to 378, which would get you 378x9~3400mhz.

There are more to this (alot more...), like your FSB:DRAM ratio, your voltage setting, PCI-E clock speed setting, but for basic over clocking you usually don't need to touch them.

The main thing to watch for those, is that as your FSB increases, your mobo will automatic also oc your ram speed to keep the preset FSB:DRAM in ratio, which is a main reason why people usually recommends good ram if you are ocing, however you can get away without ocing your ram by chaning the FSB:DRAM ratio (the DS3 has this feature).

The other thing to note is, if you leave your voltages to auto, then your mobo will also increase them as you oc, this is NOT advised as increase in voltage will have a direct relationship with your cpu & other component temperature, the usual rule of thumb is, keep the voltage at stock & oc a little, then run a burn in test for a while & check for stability issues, only increase your voltages when you encounter problems during the burn in test.

Lastly KEEP your PCI-E bus clock speed at 100Mhz (stock) at ALL TIMES, as the mobo will also sometime oc this as well if you leave it in auto mode & this is known to cause problems with various video cards.

I'll only be running stock cooling so i wont clock it till i get an aftermarket cooler.

You can still OC your system, as the E8xxx are very good ocs even on stock cooling, you should be able to push your system to 3.4 - 3.6ghz easily depending on your mobo & ram.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Mayuri you are an absolute champ!

Love the link you sent through but your write up is a lot more "English Friendly"

I am thinking now in about a month when the cpu has been used enough to know that its all ok, of doing the OCing through BIOS, just clock it say two steps, indoing so as you said clocking the cpu and the RAM would be nice! With my 9800GTX card at the installation stage it actually has an option to OC which might make things quite easy.

The reason why i have now strongly considered OCing is in installing applications on windows vista such as AVG anti virus, adaware, File Size tree etc a lot of these applications are running in the back ground.

When playing crysis at 1600 x 1200 resolution on High settings with 2x anti alias there was never any hesitations, however now there seems to be a bit of a delay in high speed movements.

It seems the more apps installed the more things are running in the background, therefore slowing some things down. needless to say i either have to stop my addiction in downloading small apps or OC my cpu and gfx :-)

Just a heads up for all of you Windows XP fans, my PC has 4GB, VISTA IDLES AT 29% so just over 1.1 GB of RAM is being used just idling and that is off a brand new fresh PC.

Just from that my advice is, if you are getting Windows Vista, play it safe and get 4GB RAM.

Mayuri you are an absolute champ!

:)

Just a heads up for all of you Windows XP fans, my PC has 4GB, VISTA IDLES AT 29% so just over 1.1 GB of RAM is being used just idling and that is off a brand new fresh PC.

Just from that my advice is, if you are getting Windows Vista, play it safe and get 4GB RAM.

Yeah 4gig of ram for vista is a must for gaming & mulitmedia while 2gig is like the good old barebone.

Vista uses a new feature called superfetch (or called something similar, i forgot :D ), what it does is basically it loads all your most commonly used stuff & programs onto the ram (if there is enough ram avilable) everytime you boot up, so those most commonly used stuff will load faster when you use thme, but is also the main reason why vista "chews" alot of ram compared to XP.

I believe the aero interface also chews its share of ram.

Which is a trend with windows; the new windows pretty much always eats more ram than the pervious windows (think win XP vs win 2k).

• 2 weeks later...

ok my build well i have all the bits just waiting for tangles to come and put it all together lol

mobo asus p5n-e sli

2x 8800gt vid cards in sli

2x 160 g hdd in raid

4 gig ram

psu 750 watt toughpower / asus dvd burner

cpu 8400

logitech g5 mouse

sorprano case hopefully this will game better than my p4 2.6 gig and 1 gig of ram pos pc lol

oh yeah asus 22 inch screen when tax check comes back thats about all for now

ahahah @ midlife hmmm yeah that will be slightly better than your old one.

I have the Asus 22inch, very nice monitor and different built in displays such as game setting, theatre setting etc.

Wow dual 8800GT's can you let me know then if you can go to ultra high settings on Crysis with those graphics capabilities as I am trying to determine if it is graphics or cpu chewing that Crysis does? Glad you have a got a high power PSU 750 watt should be enough :-)

Also the word on the street that the next big game is Mass effect, its meant to be like the old star wars knights of the old republic but this thing is a cpu eater so you must have some decent systems to run it.

Hmmm so as Driver said its going to be a hard toss up between playing diablo 1 or mass effect.... back to diablo 1 click click click click click click click goes mouse button 1.

Wow dual 8800GT's can you let me know then if you can go to ultra high settings on Crysis with those graphics capabilities as I am trying to determine if it is graphics or cpu chewing that Crysis does? Glad you have a got a high power PSU 750 watt should be enough :-)

Crysis is more GPU bound then CPU, its being shown that even crysis doesn't take much advantage of quad cpus.

As for playing on Ultra details, it depends on the resolution you are playing on, even on quad video card setups, crysis would drop to <15fps during certain areas with the res set up to 1920x1200 or above.

^^^ nice, I'm planning on getting the OC (800mhz) version then O/C it some more :thumbsup:.

Crysis is more GPU bound then CPU, its being shown that even crysis doesn't take much advantage of quad cpus.

As for playing on Ultra details, it depends on the resolution you are playing on, even on quad video card setups, crysis would drop to <15fps during certain areas with the res set up to 1920x1200 or above.

True, also it seems more nVidia GPU based game too, if I recall benchmark results showed that Crysis was the only game where there was no gain with CF over sinlge, unlike with SLI.

^^ the MSI version is O/Cd to 750 i think :thumbsup: on yes ill O/C it some more, just have to watch the temps. they idle at quite a high temp but under load they only increase a few degrees :S go figure.....

def with pkblade on the crysis being a nvidia game, so is the new drive game, not grid (cant member the exact name) the nvidia cards dominated the frames....

I just love how the 4870 works better underload O.o cant wait to touch it....

Edited by joeleo87

I have seen that there is a new range of Nvidia GEforce cards as well.... somthing like GX2 series.... for like $800!!?? is this because of DDR5 RAM? bugger and i thought my 9800GTX was good but looks like the world of gaming is still going strong, just as you buy something good it becomes outdated :-)

Ain't that always the case....and yeah the DDR5 card was released to compete in the same price bracket as your current GPU but, perform on par with the GX2 & the uber expensive GTX series. So, atm the HD4870 is basically much like the new GT-R as the GTX280 is to the Carrera GT.

joeleo87 - in that case it will be slightly more than stock (ie. 750) & if it's an XOC black edition should come out with an extra 50mhz. Hopefully we can get away OC without having to watercool them.

havent seen the XOC version yet... what brand is it? ill have to look into it.

i can get the MSI version for $385! woot.

yeh before i heard about the 4870 i was going to get a 9800, but yeh the price for what it is is just silly.

i dont want to water cool my vid card lol, my case is heavy enough as is!