SAU Community

focal utopia splits

hippy

Why are people continually getting sucked in to buying packaged

splits?

Heres what I have done for my home and my car and the results have been excellent.

I have bought various drivers like Focal or scanspeak, typical high end home audio stuff and have used them for my home audio and car audio.

I've seen these drivers feature in home speakers of more than 15k.

Nothing can compare to the SQ you get using these top of the line drivers. The only difficult part is putting the crossover together, but if have played with Lego before you should be ok.

Ask mum first before using the soldering iron :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Hi mate, did you work this out? I have the same issue with my 32!  Cheers
    • I currently have someone who is interested in buying the rear set, plus he has asked me to quote him on an equivalent front set, new of course.   I'll post up what a new set would cost and you can make a decision then. I noted a bit of discussion on spring rates versus swaybar rates, Duncan has explained my approach very well.  What I would add is that if you have high spring rates then it is a PIA to change them if you want to, say, do a track day.  Whereas with adj swaybars it's a much easier task. Plus if you find that there is an imbalance in the handling (oversteer vs understeer preference for you) it is relatively easy to change the balance with adj of the swaybars, again much more difficult with springs.  On the race cars we don't change spring rates all that often, we do however change damper rates frequently, high speed vs low speed bump and rebound independently.  A tuning task not for the inexperienced, driver or engineer.  Driver adj swaybars are adj frequently, several times in 20 minute race is not unusual.   Cheers Gary
    • Yes. The difference between a $1k centre and a $2k centre is not worth it when the whole exercise will cost double that anyway.
    • An excellent question. Both answers are correct. I think the reality is that any Neo you get from Japan may well be the same as any other engine that has spent too many years in Japan. That being the problem of low to zero maintenance and oil changes, etc etc. So any Neo you get from Japan should be considered to be sufficiently risky to warrant planning to pull it apart and rebuild it anyway. That's a significant extra $3.5k impost on top of doing the same to your S2 engine, and the question has to be asked, would you rather have the (somewhat small) betterness of the Neo for $3.5k, or would you rather spend up to $3.5k on even better betternesses for the S2? New ECU? Better triggering? Better oil pump, sump, cam covers, etc?
    • Hi guys, I have a ECR33 97 model. Engine has a cracked ring land. Would it better to rebuild the series 2, or buy a second hand AWD 25det Neo from Japan from ~$3500 tidy it up a bit with new seals and so forth and use that?  I'm leaning more towards the NEO option but understandably they're very old engines too now, so could be just buying problems. Cheers.