SAU Community

focal utopia splits

hippy

You shouldn't have any problems fitting them in.

Just remember though if you're going to splash on high-end speakers like Utopia's, at least do them the justice of sound deadening your doors and installaing diffuser panels to minimise wave reflection and cancelation. :D

well i already got polyglass in my doors ... and yes i will be sound deadening it as part of the installation ... i want 6.5's ... the polyglass were a bitch to fit but it fit ... i don't know the depth of the utopias ... i have a feeling that it will be bigger and if it is then i dont' think they will fit ... as the glass were quite a sqeeze ...

My Focal bochure says both mount in a 142mm hole and the mounting depth of the 165W (utopia) is 78mm compared to 69mm for the 165V (Polyglass).

It doesn't state the diameter of either magnet but from the pictures I'd say they are about the same with the Utopia maybe 5mm bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

i found i had to create a spacer, and take the factory grills off, and hack some of the door trim off (to widen the holes to clear the rubber on the utopias), they extend a little too much for the door trim :(

only problem is now trying to cover the speakers, passanger side is easy, fairly flat but drivers side is too curved :) (upwards toward s the window controls etc) sound awesome though!

• 3 weeks later...

hey bless u .. sorry for not getting back to u :) .. i lost this thread and am now looking again .. i've changed my mind on the utopias :) .. i'm going to be getting some JL's now ... the XR's i think they are called?? anyone know much about these?? how much they rrp for?? i think they are cheaper than utopias ...