SAU Community

Power Loss

ok this has happened to me twice now.

first time was at the bunnings carpark. cruising at like 20, about to turn into a parking spot, then all of the sudden i loose all power. steering locks up, eninge dies, electrics all flick down to accessories mode. i start it up again and proceed into my spot...

second time, approaching a roundabout, coming down from 2nd to 1st, i loose all power again. start it up again and lurch through the roundabout embarased (as you would be) interesting thing is this time i starteed, one of my belts proceeds to scream at me. this usually occurs when its been extremely cold (frost etc) not sure which belt it is, but its damn annoying, did it to me just before outside work.

mind you both these times i had the clutch fully engaged, so its not like i noobly stalled it.

now.

this is really lame. and it wouldnt help that as im writing this i had a shit day at work. but point is. im really getting frustrated of both these problems

any ideas as to what either of these problems might be?

cheers...

Edited by G0DZLR

hi i too have had this same problem ony difference is my cars an auto.. just cruising along at around 20km and then car just shuts off.. done it to me one day at a round about then 5 days later it did it 5 times.. touch wood it hasnt done it since but ive asked mechanics and they have no idea what it could be. i had my computer scanned but they found no error codes in it...

would also like some help on this incase it does it again.

jake

ok this has happened to me twice now.

first time was at the bunnings carpark. cruising at like 20, about to turn into a parking spot, then all of the sudden i loose all power. steering locks up, eninge dies, electrics all flick down to accessories mode. i start it up again and proceed into my spot...

second time, approaching a roundabout, coming down from 2nd to 1st, i loose all power again. start it up again and lurch through the roundabout embarased (as you would be) interesting thing is this time i starteed, one of my belts proceeds to scream at me. this usually occurs when its been extremely cold (frost etc) not sure which belt it is, but its damn annoying, did it to me just before outside work.

mind you both these times i had the clutch fully engaged, so its not like i noobly stalled it.

now.

this is really lame. and it wouldnt help that as im writing this i had a shit day at work. but point is. im really getting frustrated of both these problems

any ideas as to what either of these problems might be?

cheers...

In regards to the screeching belt. I have a strong feeling it is your alternator belt, I had the same problem, it is due to the excessive drain on the battery on cold days, therefore making the alternator harder to spin. Check you tentioners or even replace the belt if it looks worn.

In regards to the car stalling (I'm assuming you are applying the brakes when the stalling occurs) - check your brake booster vacum hose (and all other vacum hoses to be on the safe side), there could be a vacum leak or even the brake booster itself. (I had a similar issue in my old Bluebird, however the brake booster diaphram was busted).

just remembered - Also check you AFM (seems to be the problem in quite a few scenarios in previous posts)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

check your battery etc connections too... i had a similar prob last week over going over the mother of all bumps. thanks dept of main roads...

(also killed a head light bulb)

check your battery etc connections too... i had a similar prob last week over going over the mother of all bumps. thanks dept of main roads...

(also killed a head light bulb)

i forgot to mention, the time i was at bunnings, id just gone over a couple of BRUTAL speed bumps, so maybe thats it. but i think its either that or the AFM, or alternator. either way i think i should get the belts replaced...my cars done 88,000ks, i know that belts get replaced at the 100,000k service, would it be worth getting them done at 90 instead?

Yeh I had these problems before when I just bought my car. Scared the sh*t out of me because I thought I bought a dud car. Plus it was my first time taking the car out by myself, so when I asked my mates, they thought that I just didn't press the clutch, which obviously I did.

Anyways, it turned out to be the AAC valve. Takes a few hours and straight away the car was running smoother at idle and never stalled again.

On a side note, the link for the AAC valve cleaning should be stickied or something because a lot of people seem to have this issue and not know how to fix it.

Anyways, enjoy.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...mp;hl=aac+valve

Edited by mjscar

Yeh I had these problems before when I just bought my car. Scared the sh*t out of me because I thought I bought a dud car. Plus it was my first time taking the car out by myself, so when I asked my mates, they thought that I just didn't press the clutch, which obviously I did.

Anyways, it turned out to be the AAC valve. Takes a few hours and straight away the car was running smoother at idle and never stalled again.

On a side note, the link for the AAC valve cleaning should be stickied or something because a lot of people seem to have this issue and not know how to fix it.

Anyways, enjoy.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...mp;hl=aac+valve

thanks for that mate! i may try this as one possibility, couldn't hurt to do it anyway seeing as my car is 14yrs old after all..pitty most of the pics dont work..

Didnt have the exact same problem, but similar.

Cheak all fuses including the cabin ones. Turned out a blew a fuse.

Just a side note

do you remember which fuse it was that blew?

i forgot to mention, the time i was at bunnings, id just gone over a couple of BRUTAL speed bumps, so maybe thats it. but i think its either that or the AFM, or alternator. either way i think i should get the belts replaced...my cars done 88,000ks, i know that belts get replaced at the 100,000k service, would it be worth getting them done at 90 instead?

It doesn't hurt to change the belts a little earlier :D - You get a little peice of mind and the screeching is likely to go away too.

Sometimes it is not the number of Ks the car has done, but the age - as all rubber degrades over time.

do you remember which fuse it was that blew?

It was a RED one in the little kick pannel near the steering collum.

It was a fuse for;

Alturnator

revers lights

something

something

something

It ran a bucket load of things.. but have a look, may be worth it.. the huge speed pump may have loosened one of the fuses to which the cor does not agree with..

Edited by GTS4WD