SAU Community

Skyline Owner Running Costs - Vs Income

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R33 Gtst S1

Year : 1994

Overall condition of car: 8/10 - Engine & drive train 10/10

How is the car treated: 9/10 (Daily driven with the as many track and drag days as possible)

Maintenance level: 10/10 - gets serviced every 5 thousand religiously or before, plus everytime it gets flogged at the track - I have shares in Nissan and most aftermarket suppliers :)

Modifications: Everything ... lol - see my rebuild thread :P

Insurance: Full comprensive - Shannons ftw :D

Estimated power: 345.2 rwkw... as of last Thursday.... :)

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: Who farking knows, I'd say over $10k this last year with replacing items such as gearsets and diffs... engine rebuild not included (thats scary and I aint sharing the cost!).... normal expenses ie fuel, rego, tyres & insurance are for me around $7k per year (on top of said $10K) .... lots of fuel with the coastie cruise once a week !!

At least my maintenance this year will be less as everything has been replaced and therefore not likely to break anytime soon!! lol

Expecting around $6k this year for the usual stuffs...

Income allows this soooo all good ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R33 Gtst S2 (auto)

Year : 1996

Overall condition of car: 8/10 - Engine & drive train 10/10

How is the car treated: 3/10 (Daily driven, never taken to the track or drags, mostly driven like a granny!)

Maintenance level: 8/10 - gets serviced every 10,000 km's but that is fine as the car is rarely driven hard. Has never had any problems as of yet and I've had it for 50,000 km's / 3 years...

Modifications: almost none. Did attempt the Jaycar IEBC and DFA but they weren't working properly so took them off. Did have a pod filter, but went to sell the car so took that off too. Now it's just a K&N panel filter!

Insurance: Full comprensive - Lumley Special Vehicles

Estimated power: 120 rwkw @ 8 psi (stock power level)

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: $1500 for insurance, maybe $250 on tyres, about $250 on servicing incl. oil and parts, can't think of anything else. $2k - must be the cheapest on here!

This is an excellent car as an everday car, just wished it went through less petrol! Acceptable cruising economy but as soon as you hit city driving it's not great - will use as much as a large family V6, only with 95/98 octane fuel!

Insurance is cheaper than normal due to a combined deal discount I get for having my Supra with Lumley. I don't do burnouts or race the car anywhere, so tyres last for ages, probably about 40,000 km's. Only changed them once in the life of the car and that's because I made the mistake of getting crappy Nexens. NEVER again! I don't even bother to service the car myself, I get Ultratune to do everything for me (not worth the time for me) and that's about $185 for a full service, plus I provide my own synthetic oil.

I only do an oil and filter change every 10,000 km's as I feel that anything more often than this is excessive given the way I drive the car. Sure it'll get the occasional boot but I don't see the point when it's not that fast anyway :) Actually, truth be told, it's running @ 5.5 psi now (stock wastegate spring, bypassing solenoid) because I'm too lazy to reroute the pipes to the solenoid again! :D

Edited by benro2

• 1 month later...

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R32 GTR

Year : 1990

Overall condition of car: 7-8/10 in good overall condition, but in pieces :blink:

How is the car treated: 10/10 i drive it like its ment to be driven (when it is together)

Maintenance level: 8/10 i do use genuine parts and high end aftermarket, but do the work myself most of the time.

Modifications: Full house (Non standard engine, turbos, gearbox etc etc)

Insurance: Theft insurance for track car

Estimaged power: 450kw at wheel (when it all goes back together

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: since owning the car i guess an average of 5-10k per year so far. tho this May drop in the future....

Edited by Angus Smart

Please try to keep responses to a minimum. I'd really like this to be a useful thread to try and stop some of the younger car owners out there getting themselves stuck in debt they cant get out of while having a car that ends up getting sold for parts.

Cheers,

Ian

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R32 GTR?

Year : 1990

Overall condition of car: 8/10 when working (being rebuilt now)

How is the car treated: 9/10

Maintenance level: 10/10

Modifications: Absolutly full house

Insurance: Other

Estimaged power: Has done 355rwkw (476 hp), after rebuild going for 440awkw

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: $5000 on petrol and sat tracking (NOT COUNTING UPGRADES or Registration)

I think the amount of people buying them who cant afford them has hurt the market quite badly and made other owners lose quite a lot of value

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R33 GTS

Year : 1993

Overall condition of car: 5/10

How is the car treated: 6/10

Maintenance level: 5/10

Modifications: Exhaust worked on, Pod (Like everyone else).

Insurance: 3rd Party - Just Cars

Estimaged power: The stock power of a GTS R33?

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: Haven't had it for a year but I would say somewhere between 2-3k.

Car make/type/model: Nissan Skyline R31 Silhouette

Year : 1989

Overall condition of car: 7/10

How is the car treated: 7/10

Maintenance level: 9/10

Modifications: Rims, Steering Wheel, HID lights, Slotted Rotors

Insurance: 3rd Party - Just Cars

Estimated power: 120 RWWK

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: Over the past 6 months I've had it, $ spent on repairs are around $7-800

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Series 1

Year : 1993

Overall condition of car: 7/10 (Just got it back ~1.5 month ago from panel shop, all panels fixed)

How is the car treated: 1/10 to 4/10 (99% granny driving, my turbo has yet to hit full 7psi boost yet... most of the time it never even hit boost at all :D )

Maintenance level: 3/10 (Just got major 100k service done, & I get it serviced by the local mech every ~5k, & if something minor breaks, I'll try & fix it or get it fixed by my local mech.)

Modifications: Mostly Stock, only mods are CAT, Steering wheel, some cheapo rims & a bunch of random stickers/badges :(

Insurance: 3rd party

Estimated power: Never got tested (estimated ~130kw for a stock car?)

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: no idea per year, ~$400 to $500 per month, I'm guessing.

Car make/type/model : Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T

Year : 1998

Overall condition of car: Body 8.5/10 (few stone chips etc on front bar) Engine 10/10 (wonderful smooth drive and i have driven a few )

How is the car treated: 2/10 (I drive like a grandmother)

Maintenance level: 9/10 (Everything top of the range nothing half arsed)

Modifications: Stock

Insurance: /Full comprensive/

Estimaged power: Stock

Estimated $ spent per year to maintain: $3-4000 maybe per annum / $400 / month