SAU Community

Anyone working in the oil and gas industry?

Guest Jason Abz

Guest Jason Abz

I have been told that the west coast is the `base` for all the companies supporting the oil and gas industry. Is this correct?? If so, i would be interested to have a chat with anyone on here involved in this sector with regards to employment agencies and companies. I work on the rigs in Scotland and i`m looking to move with the missus soon.

kindest regards,

Jason

Hello.

Oil rigs, that would explain Aberdeen. Lived there for my primary school days

Don't know any oilers here, but Woodside is one of the main companies here for Petroleum (Apart from the retail guys..BP and the like.)

You'll love it here.

The weathers justa wee bit warmer :P

Gus.

Guest Jason Abz

So, what primary school was that you attended and what years?

What you doing out in Oz then?

I think everybody i have spoken to who has moved out there can`t beleive my missus has been begging me to go for over 2 yrs!! Well, you know how nice and sunny Abz is!!ha ha

Just want to do it properly and have the backing to make a proper go of it instead of chickening out after a few months due to lack of funds etc.

Keep in touch,

Jas

Hi Jason

I've worked in the oil and gas industry here for 20 years or so on contract.

I'm currently Lead Electrical Designer on the Enfield FPSO design for Fluor/Amec JV.

Contact Bill Beatty at Swan Contract for help. If you need any other contacts I'll dig them up. What discipline/position are you after?

http://www.swanpersonnel.com.au/

Cheers

Chris

my dads a Senior Structural Designer for Transfield Worley who are in alliance with Woodside... there arent too many jobs going around in the O&G industry atm.... but look hard enough and you'll find some....

If you tell me what experience you've got etc... I could give u some contact numbers....

the money is great when u go up to the "North West Shelf"

we have a couple of rigs here so i'm sure u could get some work...

there's quite alot of work going on in North Rankin A and also the Goodwyn Rig....

Good Luck!!!

Hmm

Cloverfield in Bucksburn.

Alas it is a Old folks home now :P

Had to live close to the airport as the old man was flying riggers to Dyce

years...hmm.. 77-83 i think.

and then year and a half at Robert Gordons Secondry

left Xmas 2nd year to go To Birmingham.

Your right about the weather though. Remember the sandy beaches with the polar bears running up and stealing your scarfs :D

become a Government worker ;) haha i work for the department of industry and resources .... deals with the oil n gas industry in WA mainly

Guest Jason Abz

I am currently looking after two platforms for Shell with regards to all communication and it/netwrok issues. PA systems, marine radios,airband radios, emergency beacons,phone exchange, all ex haz area trained for working on such soeakers,phones, external cctv ,sat comms,mocrowave radio LOS etc etc.

Sorry to be vague but if you work in the industry you will probably know what an offshore telecomms tech does onboard. fully certified for haz area, offshore survival certs, medicals, etc etc.

I would be quite willing to diversify if needed into instrument tech, production tech, or radio op even!!

Dont neccesarily need to work on the rigs , if there are plant positions or even an office network position. Installation or commissioning work etc

Cheers for the response guys,

jason

Originally posted by red17

Arent many jobs going? My dad's opz manager for ABB Oil and Gas and most days he cant get enough qualified people.  

Red17

Well, tell your dad that Woodside is getting rid of 30% of its work force so there should be plenty of qualified workers available soon. :)

Jason, unless you can get a position prior to leaving, it's probably not a good idea as the market is pretty thin at the moment.

Anyway, I'm in IT and Woodside is off loading about 50-60% of its IT staffs ;)

Jason, a major Scottish oil & gas group are apparently moving to Austrlia (if not WA!?) so you might be easier finding information on your side of things

Apparently there will be a LOT of jobs available in the very near future