SAU Community

Racing Seats - Fixed Back Or Adjustable?

schtein

Gday guys,

was hoping that you could share your views of the pros and cons of the above question. Obviously if a car is being used on the street as well as race an adjustable seat has functional advantages. But wouldnt this sacrifice some strength though? (i.e. in an accident)

Interested to hear your thoughts..

-Martin

Edited by schtein

I would say that it depends on the seat itself, some of the nicer seat like the bride's or recaro's that are reclinable but still fia approved would be more then fine in an accident. The other thing to concider is legalities as if the car its going into is a 2dr and still has back seats it would be illegal to put fixed back seats in

I have a fixed back in my 4dr 32.

Never gotten any police greife over it.

I lost 10kg out of the car from it.

It much keeps you much more stable than any reclinable I have been in.

It can be a little bit of a challenge at times to get in.. especially as it is my daily and if Iam doing something that requires much enter and exit out of the car it can ge quite frustrating..

In terms of accidents.. I too have thought about it.. but I came to the conclusion that its similar to a bikers helmet.. if you see a crack in the helmet.. the helmet took the impact.. not your head..

I wouldnt really be worried bout it.. if you buy an FIA approved one you'll be fine..

Thanks guys, think the fixed back will be the go- for the drivers side at least. Passenger will go reclinable as i dont want to completely restrict access to the rear seats.

Cheers,

Martin

cams don't have an issue with adjustable seats for super sprints/hill climbs etc, but you must run fixed back if you are doing door to door racing

7. only with such replacement seat which in closed cars first registered with CAMS after 1 January 1980, and in which

the relevant regulations permit the replacement of the driver’s seat:

• incorporates a head restraint;

• does not incorporate adjustment of the rake of the squab;

Thanks guys, think the fixed back will be the go- for the drivers side at least. Passenger will go reclinable as i dont want to completely restrict access to the rear seats.

Cheers,

Martin

Just be careful, on that if you have ONE seat fixed back, your legally not allowed passengers in the rear.

Depends what state your in and what the cops are like i guess.

I mean you take a hit to the passenger side, you'll never get anyone out the drivers side