SAU Community

Flushing Engine Block

rawd

Most of us are familiar with how much a pain in the ass it is to get to the engine block drain plug. Is there any other way of draining and flushing the engine block without taking off the exhaust manifold?

I have a new radiator coming, but don't want to install it only to get grubby rusty shit from the engine blocking it up.

Perhaps removing the thermostat? Can anyone tell me how to do it cos removing that seems like a mission as well.

Suggestions please.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchase that "Radiator Flush" stuff, run it in ya cooling system for like 10 minutes or something and then flush it all out with water. Once the water is clear and clean, chuck some concentrated coolant in there (tectaloy) and use the bleed valve (connected to intake plenum) to bleed out air. Once it's full take for a drive, then top up after as per needed.

Cheers,

MaTT

removing the thermostat isnt too hard.

you could probably run water through the top hose outlet with the thermostat removed to reduce the restriction allowing the water to flow through.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Can someone here tell me where the bleed valve is on the R34 engine. I just got my car the other day and found the radiator was dirty as shit so i ran some radiator flush through it (Still hell dirty) and then i refilled with a coolant premix. Anyway i took it for a drive and when i got back i could hear water boiling (although cabin thermostat was fine). I assume this is because i didnt use the bleed valve to remove air from the system. Photo's would be great if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Hey guys I just warmed my car up this morning and took the radiator cap off to have a look and coolant colored foam poured out. I am hoping this means there is way too much air in the system. Anyway how do i get rid of this air?

Oh sweet iseekool. Thanks for that. So i just undo that then, turn my heater on and fill the radiator until water comes out the top? Should i have the car on?

p.s Noob with these cars as well as forums lol. How do I use the quote? When i click on it it goes red but not sure how to insert it into a reply.

Edited by SeRiUs

the way i flush them is i pull 1 of the heater hoses off and stick a hose in it and turn it on till its just clear water flowing out of the top where the cap goes. The way 2 bleed them is get a 1.25L softdrink bottle clean it the cut the bottem of it and wrap a litle bit of tape around where the cap goes 2 make a good seal in the top of the radiator then pour coolant or water in till its the highest part of the system the take the bleeding screws out to let the air out hen the coolant starts flowing out at a constant flow put the bleed screw in and the pull the bottle out and put the cap on. then wash the coolant down that came out of the bleeders and on the radiator so u dont et the white stains. Hope this helps

p.s Noob with these cars as well as forums lol. How do I use the quote? When i click on it it goes red but not sure how to insert it into a reply.

when u click on the guote and it turns red click on the repley at the bottem of the screen where u normaly click and it comes up in there. and dont get rid of the [/quote boxes other wise it wont work

Oh sweet iseekool. Thanks for that. So i just undo that then, turn my heater on and fill the radiator until water comes out the top? Should i have the car on?

No problems mate. Also check your hoses, hopefully your system will not look like mine :wacko:http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...le-t237858.html

I used rad flush last weekend, monday morning woke to a puddle of coolant under the car, dont know if it f**ked my water pump or the water pump was about to let get anyway but it did, just spent all day today doing cam belt and water pump.