SAU Community

Rsfour S Rear Diff Locked

ghostknife

Hi all, I have searched through the forums and cannot find anything related to this issue. I have just received my RSfour S, it is not complied yet but i have borrowed the trade plate from my mate that imported it to take it for a drive.... Now problem is the Rear diff feels like it is Locked, when i turn a tight corner / park the car etc it cherps / scrapes.. and carries on like a locked diff. I know that the rs4s has the GTR LSD, but it should not act liks this should it ??? Other than that the car is Great I love it, very quick and handles so so much better than my S1 Auto. A mate of mine sugessted to change the oil in the diff and drive it for a week and it should sort itself out, im not sure about that tho so i thought i would consault the knowledge on SAU. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me ??? Oh the other thing that does not feel right to me is that the car is very stiff IE car is in neutral and handbreak off and it is very differcult to move.. i cannot even push it, Diff also ???

the stock diff RS4 S is a viscous LSD, they dont usually lock up when they are worn, just stop LSD'ing. So you probably have an aftermarket 1.5 or 2 way which is in need of some TLC. Raise the back and test the free movement of the wheels. Id change the oil and run it like you said for a week or 2 (assume it is a clutch LSD when you choose oil), see if it comes good, but in the end you probably need to find out what diff centre you have in there and give it an overhaul.

Thanks for your input, picked up some Diff oil thismorning and will try change it today if i can get the young fella to have a nap. On another note was able to swap my Genuine nissan momo wheel from my S1 Dayz to the S2 RS4S thismorning - very happy about that. Will keep you posted on what happens with new diff oil, although the car is going to get complied next week ( after i pull the Xeon's out so they dont get snaked !! ) so it might be a few weeks before i know.

Edited by ghostknife

the stock diff RS4 S is a viscous LSD, they dont usually lock up when they are worn, just stop LSD'ing. So you probably have an aftermarket 1.5 or 2 way which is in need of some TLC. Raise the back and test the free movement of the wheels. Id change the oil and run it like you said for a week or 2 (assume it is a clutch LSD when you choose oil), see if it comes good, but in the end you probably need to find out what diff centre you have in there and give it an overhaul.

Hmm, Well i dumped the old oil and replaced it, and i put the a$$ of my car up in the air.... only to find that the wheels spin in opposite directions. Now i am rather confused - this is not the actions of an LSD is it, or do the viscous LSD's behave like this? It is definatly locking up when doing slow moving tight turns though.. people look at me funny when parking it. :D