SAU Community

Advice On Panel Damage To R33

NZ Slider

Hi guys, i recently stacked my R33 coupe into a wooden power pole which snaped in half. Anyways the left rear quater panel took some what of a hiding around the lower door sill and is also pushed in a bit from the wheel arch foward, il try upload pics later. I had a look for the seams along the roofline to see if it would be easy enough to replace the whole rear quater panel but my untrained eye couldnt find any. Im yet to strip the interior for a better inspection but i want to know if the whole gaurd is actually incorporated into the whole back section of the car and whether its possible to be fixed. I had a panel beater take a quick look and he said he wouldnt consider fixing it for less than 10k(nz) :blink: , im guessing he wanted to shaft me with a massive respray etc etc. so if its not able to be replaced it looks like a reshell is on the cards.

cheers for any help.

post-53313-1221024176_thumb.jpg

thats a hell of a lot of work.

new sills, new jam - new rear 1/4 - almost new roof required too -

if the frame rails arent bent to shit then it could be fixed, but i dont think 10k is too bad .

better to part that out and buy a new one.

OUCH man . i was in your position about 1 year ago. smacked into a pole. but damage was about 1 foot back from your impact area.

cost me $4500, without insurance, paid cash.

had to order a new 1/4 panel and sections from melbourne. which got sent up here. that was $800.

then it took 2 weeks for them to rustproof, weld and paint.

all i can say is shop around. 1 place quoted me $9560!!!!!!!

not worth it,

Flick it off and get a 32 shell, or a 33 shell

or even an S15 non turbo shell, move the brakes, driveline across and make a good drift car,

there are a few good options on Trademe at the moment, I reckon a nice S15 non turbo would go well with that driveline

I had a look underneath and the chassis rails sit about another 20cm or so inward from the most damaged part and dont look bent, but then again im no expert. there was a set of gtr r33 wide gaurds on trademe for real cheap so i was considering chucking them on. but surely a second hand gaurd couldnt cost that much to replace, the roof is fine by the way and only the passenger window smashed, my mate got a rude awakening (he was sleeping haha), i mean if the impact had been more massive i would have expected the windshield to break as the car rolled onto its roof then back down a bank onto its wheels, almost ended up in lake taupo so we were pretty lucky.

In any event ive been lookn at swapping it all into a r34 sedan, rb20 yo, can get them here for about 5k with only 100 clicks on the clock. Its funny when i got my car i thought it was rather rare but have seen a number of similar ones rolling round. So pretty keen on the r34 sedan as you hardly see any turbo manual ones around at all, rare as rocking horse shit. Any one no of any issues il encounter doing a swap? im talking swapping everything in by the way so like adjusties, zaust as well as the obvious driveline, brakes hubs etc, will the drive shaft be long enough going to a 4dr?

thanks for ya help

I think I might know where you crashed :) haha, I've had a near miss up there in the GTS4, the corners are sharp and take you by surprise at night, especially the ones where someones managed to wipe out the recommended speed sign earlier in the day :P

Yeah an R34 sedan would be nice as, you'd get the added safety, they look good and most of the parts will swap straight in :)

+ your mags would fit with the 5-studs off the R33

I think it'd be a cheaper option than the R33, you should get the 33 assessed anyway, but like the guys say below, it looks like it'll need a:

rear quarter chop, front quarter chop, possibly new passenger floorpan,

I had a similar crash in a GTS-t, except took out the front end, first day of owning the car, didnt' have any insurance, got the guy to write down a quote, but lost the quote and go overcharged, ended up paying $5k, it was $1200 to straighten the chassis, rest on parts, and even afterwards i didn't feel safe in it + crashed cars have way less of a resale value, so i lost out quite a bit

Yeah it was at night and had been raining probably the hardest ive ever driven in, was taking it relatively carefully. Main reason for the accident was the whole back end was basicly aqua plaining, tyres on the rear were brand new cheap shitty chinese f*king things 265/35/r18 put on by the previous owner which seemed to just hold the water in the treads. I guess ive learnt my lesson bout cheap tyres, mind you replacement bridgestones are over 400$ a tyre. back end slipped of the road with no warning as i came out of a series of corners and it was over before you could say sr20's sound like shit lol.

anyways bring on the r34 taxi haha