SAU Community

180sx RB25 conversion, anyone done it?

If you only want less than 200rwkw (I say only, cos although it's still damn fast...lotsa people on this forum are well over 200rwkw) I would stick with the SR20 engine. The SR20 is a very responsive engine. Just need to pick a correctly sized turbo, and for around the 200rwkw mark I would go for something like a GT2530 or something. Should be able to hit the mark on a bit over 1bar, and not much laggier than standard. For a bit more power, but more lag...go the GT2835 which is supposed to be damn nice for the SR20. Any larger and I reckon you won't like it as it's too laggy. Also, the TD06 can be a nice equivalent too.

Originally posted by Simonster

I currently have an rb20 in my sil80, however it isn't enough so I'm waiting to drop in a rb25.  No difference between the two in physical dimensions :D

Wanna bet?

The biggest problem for my swap was the wiring. The diagrams that I have showed r32 and 180 have very different wiring setups. Once you find all the powers and grounds and get all the relays working you shouldnt have a problem.

PS I would go with custom mounts rather than the r33 x member so the engine will sit down and back a little more.

RB20DET deck height is considerably shorter than 25

RB20DET does not need modified mounts in S13, RB25DET does to enable the engine to sit lower so the bonnet can close.

RB30 deck height again is taller than 25

ummmm....i dont see the point???

back to the main comment/q's wateva...i'd go for the rb20det ova the rb25, the rb25det screws ur 50/50 weight hardcore

60/40 or worse ive been told

personally id just go the rb20, spend the money u saved on the rb 20 on mods and it'll b sweet assssssssss....just my 2 yen

well if you dont want to butcher your bonnet use custom mounts.

he clearance for my bonnet is a fair bit.

do it which ever way you choose to. both work.

as for weight balance, throw that out the window.

speaking from experience having a light as end, is all the fun. just dont get silly in the wet.

Originally posted by s13s15

ummmm....i dont see the point???

back to the main comment/q's wateva...i'd go for the rb20det ova the rb25, the rb25det screws ur 50/50 weight hardcore

60/40 or worse ive been told

personally id just go the rb20, spend the money u saved on the rb 20 on mods and it'll b sweet assssssssss....just my 2 yen

Excuse me? You've weighed and driven RB20DET and RB25DET equipped S13's?

Didn't think so.

The RB25DET is only slightly heavier than the RB20DET, although it is a far superior engine in most ways.

Perhaps you should question what you have been told by dickheads who dont know what they're talking about and dont repeat said rubbish by passing on your 2 yen.