SAU Community

R34 Warning Lights - Hicas, Tcs Off, Slip, Engine Light

davey_theman

Hi Everyone,

I need your help, I have an r34 Skyline and some warning lights have come on the dash. They state HICAS, TCS OFF, SLIP and the Engine Light Symbol.

How can I fix this problem? What is the reason behind it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dave

is it always on? like does it stay on all the time? or when you turn off your car and turn it back on does it dissappear?

if it stays on its best just to take it to a work shop asap.

My mates one happened like that awhile ago, turns on then when she turned off her car and turned it back on, its all off..

Edited by viet_boi

The HICAS, TCS OFF, SLIP and the Engine Light Symbol on my dash are lit up like a Christmas tree always... It's normal, just leave it :P And if it really gets you paranoid, take the dash out n remove the globe (why spend hundreds finding problems when you can just "cover them up") :miner:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be too concerned... I'm not :down:

EDIT: Can provide photo evidence if you're in disbelief...

Yeah after reading the post above... prob not best to take my advice :) My car runs perfectly fine with those lights on, reasons will be a little different to yours.

HICAS - has been removed

TCS OFF - doesn't have TCS stuff anymore

SLIP - can't be slipping if it doesn't have TCS

Engine Light - I'd like to say it's only because of the missing AFM, but I'm pretty sure it's complaining about other stuff missing too...

this is just a guess but I would say a speed sensor

thats the common component of tcs and hicas

get someone to put it on a diagnostic and see what error code you get

i agree

mine did the same when i first got ma car

took it to the place i got ma car n ran a diagnostic n they jsut said one of the sensors were playin up n they just had to adjust s umthin n ever since then light hasnt' come on since:)

is it always on? like does it stay on all the time? or when you turn off your car and turn it back on does it dissappear?

if it stays on its best just to take it to a work shop asap.

My mates one happened like that awhile ago, turns on then when she turned off her car and turned it back on, its all off..

I start my car and the HICAS light is always on no matter what. The other lights (TCS OFF, SLIP and Engine) come on about 5 minutes into driving and then stay on until I turn my car off. If I leave the car for a short period and then start it up again, it only takes another 5 minutes for the lights to come back on even if the car is just idling. I don't thrash the car at all so i'm pretty devo and confused as to what is going wrong.

So far the next steps are to take the car in to a workshop and get them to look at the computer error diagnostics and go from there and to replace the coils with Splitfires as well as upgrade the spark plugs.

Does anyone have any other ideas? If this has happened to you or someone you know and you found out how to fix it can you please let me know ASAP, it would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davey

HICAS, the motor is probably screwed in the assembly... before you get too upset, undo the plug, spray it with contact cleaner n see if it works. If not, who cares - buy a $100 lock bar, put it in, and take out the globe (fixed - will actually improve the car)

TCS n SLIP, this is a bit of a rough one as it can light up for a few reasons... again, pull the plugs off the TCS motor n clean them. Then crawl under all 4 wheels (maybe just rear 2 I think) and make sure the wheel speed sensors are plugged in. Not having them plugged in will send the ECU crazy thinking your driving on a sheet of ice or something.

Engine light, your guess is as good as mine here... but all the essentials that would trigger it (AFM, Coilpacks, Factory Boost Sensor, Knock Sensors, Oil Level). As mentioned earlier, my light came on when we removed half the factory sensors (no use for them) - can't really help with this one. Although, I think you'd be able to use a process of elimination here (AFM shot = car run like poo, Coilpacks shot = car run like poo, Boost Sensor = irrelevant with aftermarket ECU, Engine Oil = check dipstick, Knock Sensors = dunno how to test sorry, assuming voltage output)

HICAS, the motor is probably screwed in the assembly... before you get too upset, undo the plug, spray it with contact cleaner n see if it works. If not, who cares - buy a $100 lock bar, put it in, and take out the globe (fixed - will actually improve the car)

TCS n SLIP, this is a bit of a rough one as it can light up for a few reasons... again, pull the plugs off the TCS motor n clean them. Then crawl under all 4 wheels (maybe just rear 2 I think) and make sure the wheel speed sensors are plugged in. Not having them plugged in will send the ECU crazy thinking your driving on a sheet of ice or something.

Engine light, your guess is as good as mine here... but all the essentials that would trigger it (AFM, Coilpacks, Factory Boost Sensor, Knock Sensors, Oil Level). As mentioned earlier, my light came on when we removed half the factory sensors (no use for them) - can't really help with this one. Although, I think you'd be able to use a process of elimination here (AFM shot = car run like poo, Coilpacks shot = car run like poo, Boost Sensor = irrelevant with aftermarket ECU, Engine Oil = check dipstick, Knock Sensors = dunno how to test sorry, assuming voltage output)

Hey, thanks satanic, your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I will check it all out.

Thanks

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I drove from Nowra on the NSW south coast to the north coast the other day and first the hicas light came on then the abs and then all the orange lights came on and then the speedo got stuck on 90 kmh and the tacho got stuk also and the the odometer disapeared and stayed like that even after the car was turned off and the speedo and tachco did not go down straight away but was down a cupple of hours later when i came back to the car but the hicas came back on when i started the car but it went away after being left for the night and drove it for a hour and nothing came up today .

Id say its your coils, if your coils are screwing up or you get dodgy ones installed; all those lights will be thrown up (at least in my experience). I Bought some DIS ignition coils for my 34 when my old ones died, turns out i got a dodgy batch and all those lights were thrown up lol. Once i put the new replacement ones in the lights went out, the car also ran a lot smoother when shifting. If after trying satanics suggestion the problem isnt fixed my money would be on the coils. Get splitfire or DIS, Splitfire have a better name but DIS are cheaper and i cant really tell the difference between my coils and the splitfires in a mates 34.