SAU Community

V35 Cvt Box

Thanks Ben.

Based on everyone's comments regarding the CVT, I'll be buying a 3 year mechanical warranty on the car from the dealer. So, for the next 3 years, I should be "safe".

Can I ask if finding a donor gearbox, say a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual, is a hard task? I mean, if the CVT is gonna break, I might as well change the whole gearbox.

Yes, its a pain in the a$$ task, but more importantly, expensive.

Apart from swapping the mechanical parts over, you also have to change the computer. If you are putting in a manual transmission, then obviously you need to put the clutch mechanism in aswell.

If you add up parts and labour, then you will probably come to realise you should of just bought a 5 speed auto or manual to begin with.

Everything you need to do with that CVT transmission is either difficult, expensive or time consuming.

How do I know this? I had a 350GT-8 for a few months before I came to my senses. The smoother driving experience is not worth the hassle, its just a gimmick IMO. Now I have a 5 speed auto and its fine to drive, smooth enough.

If you don't care about throwing your money down the drain, then get a 350GT-8.

Does anyone know if the 5 spd auto uses the same type of oil and if they require the same amount as the CVT?

Judging from the above, a full transmission oil change would cost more than 1k including labour!

For the 5 Speed auto use Nissan Matic D.

It is their fully synthetic fluid.

They also have a Matic J which is a semi-synthetic.

When I had my trans serviced by FTG Nissan, they used Matic D even though it says Matic J on the dipstick.

When I asked them, they said that the Matic D is basically a superior replacement for Matic J.

For the 5 Speed auto use Nissan Matic D.

It is their fully synthetic fluid.

They also have a Matic J which is a semi-synthetic.

When I had my trans serviced by FTG Nissan, they used Matic D even though it says Matic J on the dipstick.

When I asked them, they said that the Matic D is basically a superior replacement for Matic J.

How much did that cost you all up and how many litres did it take?

How much did that cost you all up and how many litres did it take?

$250 for the full service.

Just been on the phone with FTG Nissan service who was looking at the job card. (Got the D and J the wrong way around, sorry. Go for the MATIC J)

It was a flush using their machine so anywhere from 8-10L.

The 350z auto contains 10.3L in total (not just in the pan) so I presume that the V35 would be similar?

You can also ask for the additive satchel to be added ($30).

Nissan MUST add this satchel to all new auto transmissions to increases the life and performance of the trans.

Total cost as of 5 minutes ago is $262. That is a flush with Matic J fluid and also including the additive satchel.

group buy on cvt8 to 6 speed manual conversion anyone? LOL

lets all break our gearboxes at the same time. :P

how much would that gonna cost tho??? :)

• 5 years later...

I know theres a few extroid CVT threads around but ill post in this one...

12L of KTF-1 CVT oil shipped from Japan for $850 (total price, including shipping, tax etc. wasnt listed as dangerous goods)

photo_zps1ce3e566.jpg

the tins bend very easily if not using the handle to pick up, so dont be surprised if they arrive with a few dents. they seem strong enough to not pierce unless really hit.

bought from here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/onlinestore/item/10000682/

emails were mostly in Japanese but it was easy to deal with them. just give them name, address and method of shipping, they'll email you the total price and I paid with credit card. took under 2 weeks to arrive.

cvt.co.nz were also helpful and want $79 for CVT service kit (gasket + seal) however he isnt replying to my emails any more (maybe because i told him I was buying the KTF-1 oil from somewhere else? i dunno)

I'm still asking around in Melb to see who wants to service it.

Ouch.. I imported a 20L drum of NS-2 fluid for my wife's J31 Maxima from Japan. it was $310 shipped.. and I thought that was expensive. I didn't realise that KTF-1 was so much more!

Although they refused to ship it initially, stating it was a flamable fluid and can't be shipped. I had to find the MSDS for the fluid and forwarded it to them to prove it wasn't a flamable product for shipping purposes.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Im hopping some one can help with this we have recently picked up our V35 350GT8 2002, Most of the time the car is fine but twice the car has been on the Highway and twice the car has appeared to start slipping, ie. revs increase but the speed does not to the extent that the car is doing 100klm/h and doing 4500rpm (there is still drive there) at which point I pulled over let the car sit for a minute then once we had taken off it was fine.

Has any one heard of this before???

The 'Snow' Button was on my mums cars when she experienced the same problem.

Higher Revs than normal.

Make sure this is off!

• 2 months later...

$1500 for gearbox oil?????

so no one else makes toroidal CVT transmission fluid? let alone have part numbers for it?

Correct, no one else makes this Transmission Fluid.

Only Global.Rakuten has some if you want to buy some from Japan.

I am buying mine from CVT.CO.NZ & then will compare against the Japan market...

Despite the transmission oil price, i think the 8 speed CVT is a quality transmission. You guys shouldn't be bad-mouthing it or spreading anti-CVT views just because the flush is expensive.

I mean, look how expensive Porsche maintenance is, yet there are still so many owners out there. Another example, look at superchargers, they are a great technology, but parts need to be replaced often, and often quite expensive...How come no bad-mouths superchargers? And turbo's, etc...The list goes on...No mechanical product lasts a lifetime!

If you buy something, be prepared to maintain it, through good and bad....Sounds like marriage...LOL...

For those married, you go try tell your wife "Oh, I married you thinking you were cheap to maintain. But it seems not!" ...See if you get out of the house alive!!!

That is so spot on said!!! Heheeheh

I love my GT-8 to bits ;)