SAU Community

Heavy Exedy Twin Plate

mvi77

Hi all,

I've got an 89 GTR with an Exedy twin plate clutch and lightened flywheel with about 10,000km on it courtesy of the previous owner. The clamping happens in about 2mm of pedal takeup after getting to the friction point and it's very, very heavy, but otherwise is adjusted to the right height, plenty of fluid and doesn't slip at all.

I've taken it to a few mechanics and everybody's immediate suggestion seems to be "replace the clutch" after they've driven it. I'm not that clued up yet but that just doesn't seem right me because it doesn't slip and works just fine otherwise. :kiss:

Can be done with the master or slave cylinder to lighten it up or lengthen the take-up? I've heard something about a longer pushrod on slave cylinder? Will an aftermarket one help me out?

Please excuse my lack of posts – I've been lurking around here for a while!

Any help much appreciated.

I'll answer my own stupid question with details directly from the Nismo site.

Nismo big operating cylinder:

"To reduce the pedal load when using a sports clutch, improve half-clutch operating characteristics and

provide proper clutch connection positioning, the size of the operating cylinder has been increased from

3/4 inch (ø19.055mm) to 13/16 inch (ø20.54mm). This reduces pedal pressure by as much as 14%

compared to a standard part."

I'll need the 30620-RS580 for the pre Feb '93 GT-R, available locally from folks like Slide.

While I'm here, can anybody exlpain why it bites like crazy in all the gears except reverse, which is nice and smooth with plenty of notice before it bites in?