SAU Community

M35 Stagea Engine Out

danwatt

Well the time has come for the turbo to be replaced due to it leaking oil and smoking rendomly pretty bad not to mention the squeeling sound it made when coming on boost.

Anyway on the M35's the turbo is not realy that accessible especially after the importer modified the dump so that it couldnt be removed insitu I had to lower the motor about 250mm to get access to the turbo flange bolts.

The first nut came off ok with a little persistance as it bound on the last few threads. Anyway I had a little trouble with one of the nuts and I snapped the stud. This didnt matter at the time as I had spent all day and got the turbo off which i what i wanted to do.

I dropped the turbo in to be fixed, then i could think about removing the broken stud.

A few days pass and I was prepared to remove this stud but to do so I had to lower the engine even lower so now its sitting on the floor.

Anyway now that its on the floor if anyone wants me to photograph anything now is the time.

The turbo has been modified by Bill at Adelaide Turbo Service and he has built a GT30/71 using the existing housings. The problem now is that the new turbo is now 18mm shorter ant that the existing cast aluminium inlet and outle pipes need modification, not to mention th eoil feed and witer feeds. This aside the other thing I need to do is an oil flow test to determin the turbo oil restrictor size. This is a little of a hassle as I have to now raise the motor again, connect al the looms and start the car to mease the oil flow throught the new feed tube. Afte this is done then lower ot again install the new turbo and modified parts and hopefully it will alll be good.

Here are some photos so far. Will post some pictures of the turbo and modified parts soon.

post-40391-1224275328_thumb.jpg

post-40391-1224275394_thumb.jpg

Well the time has come for the turbo to be replaced due to it leaking oil and smoking rendomly pretty bad not to mention the squeeling sound it made when coming on boost.

Anyway on the M35's the turbo is not realy that accessible especially after the importer modified the dump so that it couldnt be removed insitu I had to lower the motor about 250mm to get access to the turbo flange bolts.

The first nut came off ok with a little persistance as it bound on the last few threads. Anyway I had a little trouble with one of the nuts and I snapped the stud. This didnt matter at the time as I had spent all day and got the turbo off which i what i wanted to do.

I dropped the turbo in to be fixed, then i could think about removing the broken stud.

A few days pass and I was prepared to remove this stud but to do so I had to lower the engine even lower so now its sitting on the floor.

Anyway now that its on the floor if anyone wants me to photograph anything now is the time.

The turbo has been modified by Bill at Adelaide Turbo Service and he has built a GT30/71 using the existing housings. The problem now is that the new turbo is now 18mm shorter ant that the existing cast aluminium inlet and outle pipes need modification, not to mention th eoil feed and witer feeds. This aside the other thing I need to do is an oil flow test to determin the turbo oil restrictor size. This is a little of a hassle as I have to now raise the motor again, connect al the looms and start the car to mease the oil flow throught the new feed tube. Afte this is done then lower ot again install the new turbo and modified parts and hopefully it will alll be good.

Here are some photos so far. Will post some pictures of the turbo and modified parts soon.

What a mission! Would this be a good time to fit the big bore exhaust (if funds allow) or has that already been done? Looking forward to the new power figures!

What a mission! Would this be a good time to fit the big bore exhaust (if funds allow) or has that already been done? Looking forward to the new power figures!

I wont worry about the big exhaust just yet, I have already got a 2.5 in system thats new,front half is mandrel bent but the back end is press bent, but I think I will modify the dump to a 3 inch for future plans and the higher flowing turbo.

There are a few more thing that are on my list before then. SO I will keep you updated. :D

Do you know what spec turbo they built for you ? Was it a Garrett ball bearing unit ?

Mine ended up 20mm shorther and I had to modify the cast outlet tube to get it clear of the front drive shaft.

I don't have the turbocharger's report. Mechanic's only refers to highflowed and steel shaft conversion. Does that help?

No not really, you need the actual spec.

From the pictures you have in your post it doesnt look like the same core as mine.

My turbo was converted to a Garrett GT30/71R (ball bearing) using the existing the exhaust and Compressor housings machining them to fit the new components. This has now reduced the physical length of the turbo.

The other problem I have at the moment is getting adequate oil flow to the turbo at idle. I am measuring approximately 0.9L per minute with a 3.5mm restricted banjo on the turbo and I am looking for at minimum 1.5L per min. So I have to do a couple more tests to see what the feed tube oil pressures are as well as the maximum oilflow streight out of the block before I can put it all back together.

I don't have the turbocharger's report. Mechanic's only refers to highflowed and steel shaft conversion. Does that help?

I see your turbo replacement thread is quite old. have you done the supension since then? SK's bars are available here through Shockabsorber Services Int Ltd - can give you more details if it is not too late.

We the oild feed supply continues, I have performed several oil flow tests to get the desired flow rate of 1.8L per minute but the most I can get is about 900 ml per minute.

I checked that there was agequite pressure there at idle and the was about 85 psi. The next step is to see if the oil feed off the block will actually flow the desired amount without any restriction.

Hopefully this will prove that it is possible if not I will have to get supply from the oil pressure switch which is on the other side of the block.

I see your turbo replacement thread is quite old. have you done the supension since then? SK's bars are available here through Shockabsorber Services Int Ltd - can give you more details if it is not too late.

I'm in NZ

I did some of the bushes and now need to do the sway bar bushes and thinking of replacing the bar instead if anyone has the correct make/model/part number that I need. Will get Autolign in Auckland to do it.

I'm in NZ

I did some of the bushes and now need to do the sway bar bushes and thinking of replacing the bar instead if anyone has the correct make/model/part number that I need. Will get Autolign in Auckland to do it.

Sydney Kid made a set for my car off my standard ones from the car. 32mm solid at the front and 24mm solid on the rear. The are adjustable (3 holes) and these are the best as I found you need to stiffen the rear more than the front (just 1 extra hole stiffer to get best balance).

If you don't want to get them from him you could get a local company to copy them from your car. The front is similar to the z350 but has a different bend in the middle. The rear is the same as the z350.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy