SAU Community

Legal R32 Gtst?

-**wHiStLe**-

If you got your P's after July 1st, 2007 then you cannot drive any turbo'ed or supercharged car unless it's a diesel.

If you got your P's before July 1st, 2007 then you have to be under the power/weight ratio: http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/node/199

Edit 1: Link to power to weight calculator: http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vr...pwcalc?OpenForm

Edit 2: Another link: http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/node/197

:P

Edited by rh1n0

Are you on Green P-Plates where your restriction is 125kw/tonne?

If yes,

- series 2 R32 GTST (1991-1993) is a kerb weight of 1320-1350kg.

- Law implies unladen mass (ie. no fluids etc)

- Police use the value of Vicroads sticker as unladen mass (My car 1250kg, which is a series 2)

- 158kw~ factory power

= 126.4kw/tonne (1.4kw/tonne over the limit)

Reduce the power figure to 156.25kw factory, and the car is legal.

Increase the weight to 1264kg, and the car is legal.

Conclusion;

- The series 2 r32 seems to be in the grey area as the police determine if its illegal based on your vicroads weight sticker and your power estimate.

- Vicroads weight sticker is usually different amongst r32's, but im sure you can always say the car has 155kw factory and still be legit :P

- The cop can always throw you into the same class as the r33/r34 and you would need to convince him that it is under the limit....

If yes,

- series 2 R32 GTST (1991-1993) is a kerb weight of 1320-1350kg.

- Law implies unladen mass (ie. no fluids etc)

- Police use the value of Vicroads sticker as unladen mass (My car 1250kg, which is a series 2)

- 158kw~ factory power

= 126.4kw/tonne (1.4kw/tonne over the limit)

Reduce the power figure to 156.25kw factory, and the car is legal.

Increase the weight to 1264kg, and the car is legal.

Conclusion;

- The series 2 r32 seems to be in the grey area as the police determine if its illegal based on your vicroads weight sticker and your power estimate.

- Vicroads weight sticker is usually different amongst r32's, but im sure you can always say the car has 155kw factory and still be legit :)

- The cop can always throw you into the same class as the r33/r34 and you would need to convince him that it is under the limit....

Pat, the vicroads weight is not worth the sticker its written on! my gazelle's rego sticker says it weighs 1400kg ahahahahaha what a joke!

r32's are legal for the old system of 125kw/tonne.... ive never heard of anyone being done for power/weight in an r32 gts-t ...

i drive one on my green p's and i got my license in april 2006 so if your in the same boat as me should be all good. other wise...what they said^^^^ lol

yea as i said i'm only after the power to weight, i got my license in 06 so that's all i'm on.

If you re rego a car do they re-weigh it or do they source the stock weight from the specs in there system?

Yea i was going to get another s13 but from what i've heard they're over.

yeh jsut comes out from their system depending on the year of 32 you have...i remember with my last 32 which was a 89 model it had 1200 on there which would clearly make it over power to weight. my current 32 which is a 92 came with 1400 which is over.

if you you have a 89 or 90 skyline you can be questioned as i have heard that they are lighter then the series 2 r32's hence why i made sure i got a 91 and up one lol just in case.

Some green p-platers are not allowed to drive a turbo at all - if they got their license after July 1st 2007.

I was worried about this as well when i got pulled over in my 32 GTS-T. The cop was flipping through the "High Powered Vehicle" book trying to find my car, then he got me to look for it lol. Then i had to convince him it wasnt a GTR (There was the picture of the GTR in there and he thought thats what i had)

He noticed the pod/cooler and said you cant have them both.. I just argued that wasnt a pod it was a cold air intake that comes stock with the car. Also had my BOV blocked and sitting there with the hoses but he didnt know much about cars to notice anything.

Are S15's legal to drive on Green P's? Ive heard they were because they are SR20DET's but I dont know too much about if they were legal or not.

Pat, the vicroads weight is not worth the sticker its written on! my gazelle's rego sticker says it weighs 1400kg ahahahahaha what a joke!

r32's are legal for the old system of 125kw/tonne.... ive never heard of anyone being done for power/weight in an r32 gts-t ...

yeah i know it aint worth anything but that's what the police use.

When i was pulled over by mr. k_nox TMU he was going to issue me a fine for high powered vehicle. Had a 30minute+ discussion with him trying to prove that it was legal for P-Platers.

He asked me the factory power rating, to which i replied 158kw.

He then checked on his computer the weight of the car which came out to be 1250kg unladen mass. The same weight which is on my vicroads sticker.

He did the calculations on his PocketPC and showed me that it was over the limit from my power assumption and his weight information.

He was kind enough to let me off as it was 1kw over the limit, but said that if I had an accident he would fine me high powered vehicle and that my insurance would be void.

(i still left with a defect though :P )

So unless you have some valid proof that the car doesn't weigh 1250kg, its his police system over your word...

I was worried about this as well when i got pulled over in my 32 GTS-T. The cop was flipping through the "High Powered Vehicle" book trying to find my car, then he got me to look for it lol. Then i had to convince him it wasnt a GTR (There was the picture of the GTR in there and he thought thats what i had)

He noticed the pod/cooler and said you cant have them both.. I just argued that wasnt a pod it was a cold air intake that comes stock with the car. Also had my BOV blocked and sitting there with the hoses but he didnt know much about cars to notice anything.

Are S15's legal to drive on Green P's? Ive heard they were because they are SR20DET's but I dont know too much about if they were legal or not.

Australian Delivered S15's are P-Plate legal (due to running less boost and different turbo?)

JDM S15's are not.

When i got pulled over by TMU, this old guy who knew nothing about skylines was trying to get me for High powered vehicle. Kept arguing with me and saying that my car was rb25 and it wasn't legal. I was like nah mate its rb20, its legal for me to drive......luckily the younger bloke knew what he was doing and corrected the old fella....But yeah still copped a defect for intercooler and poddy....almost got off though, coz im running a ARC turn flow the young coppa almost missed it!!

When i got pulled over by TMU, this old guy who knew nothing about skylines was trying to get me for High powered vehicle. Kept arguing with me and saying that my car was rb25 and it wasn't legal. I was like nah mate its rb20, its legal for me to drive......luckily the younger bloke knew what he was doing and corrected the old fella....But yeah still copped a defect for intercooler and poddy....almost got off though, coz im running a ARC turn flow the young coppa almost missed it!!

They tried doing that to me in myNA 34, telling me RB25 is too powerful but RB20 is ok... but its NA so it doesnt matter... gave me a fine had to go get a dyno done to show it was under power:weight. I sent a copy of my dyno sheet in and got it quashed.

Yeah, they are spastics sometimes i swear. I was lucky that time though, he pulled me over and said i was driving a little too fast and he asked me what my excuse was. At the time i had a buckled front right rim and it was losing a lot of air. So i said to him i needed to beat the traffic to get into the left lane to get to the servo to pump my tyre up. He was like, i understand the predicament you were in so i will let you off for speeding, but i will have to defect you for the buckled rim. Fair enough though, better that then losing demerit points!!

Hoy did you get defected again or was that the time when u borrowed my air box? Was it burwood TMU? He probs thought it was my car with the 25 in it lol.

Hahah nah, it was the time when i borrowed your airbox......i got done in Blackburn so not sure which precinct he was from. Undercover black VE SS came flying up behind me. I was like BALLS!!!

Haha yeah probs thought it was you!! The coppas love dicking you!! (But ya still a coppa and your gaaaaaaaaaaaay)