SAU Community

V35 Import Timeline

Roma

actually:

chassis ends in: 650136?

yeah it is, do you know whats going on with my car or any tips or advise regarding this situation?

the wait is something that I can handle, but it's the lack of info that is driving me mad!

the broker said i sholuld get the car on road by mid nov or latest end of nov when I was looking around for the car.

so with the shop unwilling or unable to provide an approximate date when my car will be looked at, i dunno i need to wait another 1 week or 1 month!

and with xmas getting near and near i dont know if they gonna get around to my car this yr or not!

i tried to contact my broker for advice, but the office is closed due to the " low exchange rate" and wont re-open for another week, I dont know if it's just my luck or something, but when ever I need advise or help from my broker, he is never available!

last question, if I did get my car towed away from the compliance shop would any other shop be willing to take over or there are legal issues and stuff?

really dont want my car to be sitting out in the rain and sun through out the whole summer...

so, if anyone can give me some advice or suggestions are more than welcomed.

Edited by Roma

spoke to them about it today . as I understand the car goes on hoist monday. they cleared 15 other cars that were scheduled before yoursand that is before the vans and buses they had to do. each car takes 1.5 days to do after they service it and do repairs/tyres. if there are parts to be ordered it takes longer. from it then gets inspected by DOTARS and from there a plate is issued. that plate takes 5 days at best to arrive. yours was last in the last pile of cars on that boat of which there were 300 cars brought in for compliace here in brissy across 6 shops.

spoke to the shop in question about communication today and the understanding I have is there were two calls they knew about. he's approachable if you wish to contact him directly. there are several cars on here that have went through them (RS73 is one.) without a hitch. unsure on the import approval side of things but DOTARS in canberra process 2-300 a day at a minimum so yours would have been in line somewhere. if the car was shipped before the approval was done then the information was correct. if dotars saw fit they could have refused entry to this car. - they didnt. the wharfies still have control over how much comes off the boats in a day/week. that would explain the delay on that end. when the workshops are swamped with 50-60 cars at a time over a 3 week period people tend to get annoyed and wonder what is going on.( this has happened twice in 2 months now.) I had 4 cars there myself with the owners in Victoria asking me what was going on - I cleared my end of these well over 3 weeks ago and the cars left brisbane 2-3 days back for their owners. yes there is that much of a backlog.

call them in the morning and have a chat about it. its probably better than complaining on a forum and pissing everyone off.

last question, if I did get my car towed away from the compliance shop would any other shop be willing to take over or there are legal issues and stuff?

really dont want my car to be sitting out in the rain and sun through out the whole summer...

its not that easy. the car is assigned to that shop. to move it requires it to be transferred to a new shop via canberra which takes more time to do at.

sit tight - the car will arrive this year :P

its not that easy. the car is assigned to that shop. to move it requires it to be transferred to a new shop via canberra which takes more time to do at.

sit tight - the car will arrive this year :)

Thanks for the help Chris!! :)

Will give Michael a call, and hopefully I will be able to drive my real soon :D

Edited by Roma

no problems. its a bit frustrating when you put $40k down on acar and have to wait 2 months to see it.

thats the way the system works I'm afraid. its all patience even though the wait drives you nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
no problems. its a bit frustrating when you put $40k down on acar and have to wait 2 months to see it.

thats the way the system works I'm afraid. its all patience even though the wait drives you nuts.

just came across this thread....and I have to say....I'm waving the 'Chris-Rogers' banner...wave wave wave......You farkin rock man!!! :)

oh yeah..Chris..I got the "Cyclops Paralyser" alarm/immob installed today ($680..Tower Audio Melb)..it's a supplementary/upgrade to the factory unit, that wasn't good enough (apparently) for my insurance company. (pricks!)

Anyways..my car go chirpy beep crazy chirp when I unlock it....all crazy fancy like.....

Ok...I'll shut up now.

Edited by superspit

just came across this thread....and I have to say....I'm waving the 'Chris-Rogers' banner...wave wave wave......You farkin rock man!!! :P

oh yeah..Chris..I got the "Cyclops Paralyser" alarm/immob installed today ($680..Tower Audio Melb)..it's a supplementary/upgrade to the factory unit, that wasn't good enough (apparently) for my insurance company. (pricks!)

Anyways..my car go chirpy beep crazy chirp when I unlock it....all crazy fancy like.....

Ok...I'll shut up now.

you can turn that off you know. its in the book.

• 1 month later...

Having read this thread, I am gobsmacked: I would LOVE to have waited only 2 months for a car! So far I have imported 4 vehicles from Japan:

Toyota Chaser: 4.5 months: most of the fault was with the incredibly dodgy compliance workshop: the guy was using my car as a daily driver for weeks/left alcoholic drinks spilled all through it/wreched the exhaust etc......

Mitsubishi Legnum: 4 months from purchase to collection (this was with the compliance shop I have 100% faith/trust in): DOTARS didn't send the plates for around 6-8 weeks.

And finally, my 2 V35s: 6 months in total (same, excellent compliance shop as the Legnum). My cars sat at the docks for about 6 weeks or so in Japan (where one was damaged), trying to get on a boat, then the compliance workshop was crazily busy, so I had to wait my turn. Finally, DOTARS was playing funny buggers again, so the wait was on for the plates again.

I believe I have just been unlucky in these cases (I'm not known for being fortunate), but most delays can't be directly attributed to the compliance workshops in my case. Even though I am using a RAW of good repute (One of Chris'), I have still had unforseen, lengthy delays. I was hoping, given the wait on the first 2 cars, that I was due for a break, but sadly it was not to be.

All I can say to those new to the process is: be patient. I know it's exciting to have a new car, and extremely frustrating when the delays occur: I was pretty much over the whole thing by the time I collected my first import (I had been told 6-8weeks max, from start to finish), but unfortunately, the wait is a possible (likely?) price you pay for the benefit of buying cheap via a broker (although it doesn't seem to have been very cheap in at least one case here).

Unless you can directly attribute the wait to the RAW, let them get on with it: they want the car finished as much as you: they don't get paid until it's ready to leave... I have a great relationship with the workshop I currently use, simply because I didn't ride them all the time over things they had no control over. I now get offers of parts, assistance and advice from them whenever I need anything. Given that my cars would not have been ready any sooner had I kept on their backs, I consider myself ahead.

At the end of the day, I'm happy that I've done it: I believe the wait is worth it.

the most I have ever had to wait for a plate under normal circumstances was 3 weeks over the holiday period 2007 when dotars were down on staff for the break

most likely your trusted compliance shop had run out of plates and was waiting on more to become avaliable . so they blamed dotars

the most I have ever had to wait for a plate under normal circumstances was 3 weeks over the holiday period 2007 when dotars were down on staff for the break

most likely your trusted compliance shop had run out of plates and was waiting on more to become avaliable . so they blamed dotars

Possible I guess, but they have been fantastic with every query/suggestion I have made: I take them at their word, unless it can be proven that they were the hold-up...