SAU Community

An Amicable Discussion On P Platers And The Law.

blaizer

has anyone heard about all this new shit the governments saying how if labour gets into power their going to ban p plates driving 6 cylinders or turbo cars?

its bullshit coz now the money weve been saving is going to get spent on something we dont want.

any thoughts?

Article added for reader reference:

V8s driven by P-platers will be sold: Carpenter

EXCLUSIVE: P-PLATERS will be banned from driving high-powered cars under Labor - and confiscated vehicles will be sold, even if they belong to drivers' parents.

Premier Alan Carpenter outlined the new policy in an interview with The Sunday Times and said the proceeds of cars sold would be used to help victims of road trauma.

P-platers would be banned from getting behind the wheel of V8, turbo or super-charged cars and even those with modified six-cylinder engines.

The car models to be banned would be listed in the legislation.

Even if owned by the driver's parents, confiscated cars would be sold.

Mr Carpenter said the new laws were a way of protecting young inexperienced people on the road.

They would also protect their friends and families.

"It is obvious that 17-year-old boys getting behind the wheel of a high-performance car is asking for trouble,'' Mr Carpenter said.

"We've got to stop that from happening. It's about the safety of the broader community and the safety of the young kids themselves.

"And ordinary people do not want to be terrorised by hoons. Some of these accidents have come ploughing into people's houses.''

Under present laws, cars can be impounded by police for seven days on the first hoon offence and 28 days on the second. Police can confiscate the car on the third offence.

The ban on high-powered cars was no different from existing laws that restrict novice motorcycle riders to machines under 250CC.

Work-related exemptions would be considered.

"But as a general rule young kids, invariably boys, don't need as their first vehicle to be driving a high performance car,'' Mr Carpenter said.

Hooning was one of the most complained-about law and order issues in the state. It was traditional in Australia to own bigger cars because of our wide open roads, but hoons had become more of a problem because young people had more money to spend than before on big, powerful vehicles.

Mr Carpenter said he had often seen hoons. One night last week, while driving back to Perth on Great Eastern Highway, two cars flashed past him.

"They were obviously racing,'' he said.

Mr Carpenter said it made more sense to sell confiscated cars than crush them.

"Rather than the vehicle being crushed, and effectively becoming worthless, the vehicle should be sold and the money go into the Road Trauma Trust Fund,'' he said.

"So it will be directly earmarked to assist people who have been injured in car accidents.

"It is not as superficially attractive as crushing the cars, but it makes more sense because you get a return.''

The latest move to strengthen anti-hoon laws comes only two months after the Government increased the power of police to confiscate cars for seven days for a first offence and 28 days for a second offence.

The Government has picked up on community sentiment reflected in a The Sunday Times law and order survey last September.

On the issue of hoons, 95 per cent of readers who responded to the survey believed P-plate drivers should not be allowed to get behind the wheel of high-powered vehicles. And 50 per cent wanted confiscated cars to be sold, with the proceeds put back into road safety.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P Plate restrictions are already in place in other states.

Personally i support the idea. Young guys need to get experience on the road before driving performance cars.

If you have a good look at the rules in other states, you will easily find loop holes all throught so even if it does happen here, it wont change to much, just makes people do a few extra things to be able to drive a performance car.

loop holes ay?

like what?LOL

its just made me angry coz ive bin saving for liek 2 years to get a turbo s13 or skyline or the like.and now they r saying no sorry u cant.its liek well its fine for them coz theyve got their license and they "know whats best".but whos to say that all of us are going to drag and drift the cars on public roads?

i know i wudnt first because i can do it at the track.

second because ive spent all MY hard earnt money on the car and wudnt want to f*k it up

third coz i dont feel like losing my license

loop holes ay?

like what?LOL

its just made me angry coz ive bin saving for liek 2 years to get a turbo s13 or skyline or the like.and now they r saying no sorry u cant.its liek well its fine for them coz theyve got their license and they "know whats best".but whos to say that all of us are going to drag and drift the cars on public roads?

i know i wudnt first because i can do it at the track.

second because ive spent all MY hard earnt money on the car and wudnt want to f*k it up

third coz i dont feel like losing my license

Everyone of your agruments has been said by several P platers who have promptly ploughed into a pole etc.

I think the first few years on the road you need to concentrate on driving and learning how the roads work and predicting traffic etc instead of concentrating on looking good with your doof doof blaring while drag racing every other putz at the traffic lights.

For a plater (and 3 quarters of the car club community) to say "im going to do my racing at the track" doesnt mean much to me at all. I race at a lot of events per year and hardly ever see a P plater. The NoLimits club attendance numbers are around 20-25 entrants. Why? they can accomadate to around 50. So where are all these people who will do their racing on the track? The real deal is as soon as people hear $150 entry fee, plus a race license at $80 they feel its way to expensive and not going to do it.......yet i bet you have no probelms spending $1000 on FMIC, or $5000 on doof doof, of $3000 on da rimz etc etc.

Im not having a go at you or anything like that...just voicing my opinion.

yer i know what u mean but like.

just think having saved for 2 years.doing less on the weekends than you could be so that you have the money to spend on what you want instead of just a shitter.and then someone saying sorry your going to drag race and kill yourself.better not let you have this high powered car. i know id preffer not be wearing a power pole so why can they say i will do it.

and yes everyone does burnouts.if you say you dont your kidding yourself.but still it isnt very fair on those of us who have had to wait so long and be told we cant get it.

and yer i think id crash the car.but then i cud crash any car.so could non p-platers.so why dont they just ban turbos and v6's all together?

i know what they r trying to stop but i dont think this is the right way to go about it.

well then what is the right way to go about it?

why dont you buy a non turbo skyline or silvia for your first car?

you first year or 2 on the roads is the most crucial as this is when you learn the most

you want to be observing and learning to drive better, not boosting around

your driving instructor and parents might say you're a good driver but in fact you're probably far from it

im still on my P's and have a turbo car but i did drive a non turbo for a year and a half first

probably still too soon to be in a gts-t but i drive responsibly most of the time

i think the new laws are a good idea

you hear way to many stories of people being killed on the roads

i garuntee im nto a good driver.not as experienced as an adult or who ever.a better way to go about it is to have power restrictions now item restrictions. if a cop ays have you got a turbo .you say yes.they give you some ticket to go get it dynoed.simple if its excessive of what ever they make the limit.you get fined (or some other penalty) if not its all good. and id love to have a non turbo silvia or skyline for a first car.but what about whne ive finished my p's and want more kick?i dont want to ahve to spend all the money to get a turbo put in.and by then silvias wud b an out of date car meaning id be losing money.

its funny though coz wen im off my p plates itll sound liek a good idea and someone else will come alogn with the same complaint LOL

your always going to loose money on a car

plain and simple

what do you mean "out of date"

silvias and skylines have been around for a long time and they are still popular

they wont be any less popular in 2 years time

more and more people are buying japanese imports all the time

just sell the non turbo and upgrade when your ready

the dyno test idea wont work

that costs money and the readouts aren't 100% accurate

its much easier to ban something completely than do it on an individual case basis

Edited by inthisglass

P-PLATERS will be banned from driving high-powered cars in Western Australia under Labor - and confiscated vehicles will be sold, even if they belong to drivers' parents.

Premier Alan Carpenter outlined the new policy in an interview with The Sunday Times and said the proceeds of cars sold would be used to help victims of road trauma.

P-platers would be banned from getting behind the wheel of V8, turbo or super-charged cars and even those with modified six-cylinder engines.

Even if owned by the driver's parents, confiscated cars would be sold.

Mr Carpenter said the new laws were a way of protecting young inexperienced people on the road.

They would also protect their friends and families.

"It is obvious that 17-year-old boys getting behind the wheel of a high-performance car is asking for trouble,'' Mr Carpenter said.

"We've got to stop that from happening. It's about the safety of the broader community and the safety of the young kids themselves.

"And ordinary people do not want to be terrorised by hoons. Some of these accidents have come ploughing into people's houses.''

Under present laws, cars can be impounded by police for seven days on the first hoon offence and 28 days on the second. Police can confiscate the car on the third offence.

The ban on high-powered cars was no different from existing laws that restrict novice motorcycle riders to machines under 250CC.

Work-related exemptions would be considered.

"But as a general rule young kids, invariably boys, don't need as their first vehicle to be driving a high performance car,'' Mr Carpenter said.

Hooning was one of the most complained-about law and order issues in the state.

It was traditional in Australia to own bigger cars because of our wide open roads, but hoons had become more of a problem because young people had more money to spend than before on big, powerful vehicles.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24232378-421,00.html

I don't really care anymore, by the time I can afford what I want in 4-5 months time I will only have another 6 months on my P's.

I don't really agree with it but just look at it as an opportunity to save more money or something.

I think I actually agree with this propostion.

Not to the extent that I'd go out of my way to help bring it in, but if it does come into effect I wouldn't really see any issue with it.

I've had my license for over 2 years now, so I've been off my Ps for a few months. The entire time, I've had my N/A rb30 R31. No real performance mods, and it's been a quality, reliable car.

I've done a lot of driving in this time, travelling between Bunbury and Perth weekly on top of day to day commuting.

Looking back, I have to say that I am SO glad I stuck with N/A for my first few years. If I had bought a turbo car (which I nearly did just before getting my Ps), I think I would have wrapped it around a pole by now.

I'm not a bad driver, but initially I was very inexperienced and not confident. Over time I've gained a lot more driving awareness, something that's vital to have before going and throwing more power into the mix.

Now that I have a bit of driving experience under my belt, as well as having had the opportunity to often drive my boyfriends rb20det, i feel I will now be able to handle more power in my own car. Something that I don't think many people can do right off the mark.

Thats bullshit. So anyone with a turbo car when this comes in will have it confiscated (Even though they did nothing wrong) and have it sold? And all proceeds going towards road trauma? Last time I checked, high powered cars arent the ones causing the trauma. Plus, how about putting some of the huge amounts of money taken from speed camera's into the same thing? This new law is shit, just trying to look like their doing something :(

This is f*cken BS, I still got about another year on my P, & my 1st car since I got my P was the GTS-T, & through this time, I have never even got a speeding fine (& I have passed through lots of speed cams, cop cars & cops with speed guns).

So they are basically saying, that I have to sell my car even though I had it under my name for ages just coz of this?

This is by far the worst news, since that gay IP filter the government is trying to do.

At least with the other states, the laws are that you will only be affected if you got your Ps after they came into affect, by the sound from that article, they are trying to make it affect everyone, so even if you owned your car for a year (with no fines & stuff) you so still have to sell it?!

What a f*cken joke!

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Ban my R33 NA Auto with around 100hp (guessing) absoloutely bog standard, lets all go rotaries 1.3l :(