SAU Community

Fuel Testing On Today Tonight

kidafa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that this is an appropriate time to ask.. but what are the benefits of using the high octane petrol vs regular? I know it seems like a pretty silly question, but i've never really asked and the station brochures are just trying to sell their product..

Sez

Edited by Ryan&Sez

Troy.

10% eth does not kill engines unless you drop it in to a car that has been tuned for bp98 and running 12:1 afr's. The ethanol leans out the motor a fair bit; enough for you to feel the top end going lean and a slight power drop as a result. A stock ecu'd car will be fine as they run rich anyway so you'll pick up some nice power.

What sort of octane boost do you run to crack 102ron? Toluene or 2-3 bottles of Nulon Pro strength?

So how did they determine which fuel was best? economy power?

good call Joel ive heard your lucky if you pick up a point so from 98ron you may see 99ron

never run regular in a turbo car or any hi compression engine unless you want to blow it

I was forced to run 95 once on the GTR (was stuck waaaaaay down South).

Didn't go over 3k on the way to the next petrol station and didn't let it touch boost!

But 95 is the minimum recommended for RB26's (says it underneath my bonnet lol)

What are peoples opinions on V Power that have used it??

Maybe you've used it on your DR shane? ...... P.S when will it be ready ;)

I've got it in the rex atm and personally wouldn't use it again...Feels like i've lost alot of power all round and throttle response is none! (just saying what im feeling don't flame me on this one)

DR and all my cars only ever run BP ultimate! If i can't get ultimate its like 10 bucks of some premo until i find a BP again!

Ahhhh DR's been put way back on the back burner champ, works gone to shit no bastards buying cars, working 3 n 4 day working weeks for the rest of the year and possibly into next year so no overtime = no spare cash floating around and not to mention wifes 24 weeks pregnant so that kinda takes precedence over it all!!

What are peoples opinions on V Power that have used it??

Maybe you've used it on your DR shane? ...... P.S when will it be ready ;)

I use only V Power or Mobil 8000 in my bikes because they're tuned for it and that fuel is highly recommended by the tuners.

I use mostly BP Ultimate in the Stagea ... maybe V Power or 8000 when its convenient.

:wub:

Mine feels the same on all the normal fuels but it was tuned on v-power.

Push E10 in to it and the pedal feels just that little bit harder as it feels as though it spools slightly earlier. Probably due to the leaner mixture.

V-power is also 10c more than ULP compared to BP's 13c. ;)

good call Joel ive heard your lucky if you pick up a point so from 98ron you may see 99ron

10% ethanol has been required in Denver and a few other cities where I'm from in USA for over 10 years to reduce emissions in the winter time?. in summer it random vapor locks all cars, new or old ones and isnt used in the summer months because of that, High altitude 2k or more above sea level and low octane 82-85ron , or low volatility/flash rates dont mix. it boils in the 40 degree days in the fuel lines and when you come back to start the car it wont. its flooded. on vapours from boiling fuel , you have to open the fuel cap to get the pressure down in the tank . most of the time that sorts it out otherwise you have to wait a while for it to cool off more a pain in the ass?. its also linked to engine failures in normal daily driven cars, they start to smoke in a few years, mitsu ,hyundia,kia and the smaller GM,Ford cars are the worse.

and its been shown to kill off the fuel pumps and dry out the fuel lines premature, even in the manuals of cars there it a huge warning on page 1 not to use it , but some places you cant avoid it.

the high octane of 102ron or more is created by using BP ultimate and pro strength nulon ,Moroso, NOS , but make sure its safe for cats and sensors or it will melt them and kill your engine, dont use acetone based products to increase octane they kill lots of things including your paintwork..lol

BP in the UK sells 102ron at the pumps ? does anyone find it here, i checked the web and didnt find it anywhere but the UK?

but like all things more octane isnt always better. it gets to the point of melted pistons or broken rings ,costs a lot too, we used to much in a race car once and it melted the pistons and stained the race foam fuel cell dark brown, poured them out of extractors after pulling it apart. you run more octane to increase the timing of engines (more power to a point !!! ) and to keep detonation from breaking the [piston ring lands on the turbo cars or hi compression ones. also to keep the plugs cleaner to avoid misfire, and carbon build up in oil and combustion chambers. and you should notice it has more power (more efficent engine ,burns hotter, heat is power inside engines )= more kilometres per tank full if you keep your foot out of it. hard to do with more power...lol

why do you think aircraft use it, you want you life dependant on lousy fuel while flying ? even airliners measure fuel weights to check the fuel quality in a test tube often in the day and for impurities. I used to fuel prop /jets in college to learn how to work on aircraft engines and avionic /electronics...lol

high octane fuel is filtered more?

but like eveything, watch the place you buy it from , if its an old place it could have sand sepage from leaking tanks, had it happen at a old caltex(texaco) in usa, filled my RX7 with fuel, the sand ran into the tanks a little from tank leaking and it clogged my filter and float bowls up with microsand till the engine died of no fuel a few miles away.they ended up closing the station to replace the tanks, you might notice it happening here lately, replacing the tanks, which sit in sand beds underground.? a lot down south

if you tune your car it will run on lower octane fuel with similar power in street trim, it was tried by a some pros in the states just to show a lower compression engine with a proper tune can make similar power, mind you this wasnt a cheap process to do , and not an option to most of us due to cost involved. much easir to put high octane in ...lol

if you run cheap fuel in your car it wont kill it if your just driving /cruising off boost/soft with it. but might foul the plugs and it will chew thru it faster, but i wont do it unless its a emergeny ( 100k flat land cruise) without boost needed

it not worth the risk to stuff up a motor or if i need to kick the foot down to pass someone.

when they create ethenol at high octane it might be ok but til then im staying clear of it in the skyline. heel who know it might run on hydrogen some day..lol

Mazda has a Rotary in testing that does run on Hydrogen

otherwise I'll stick to BP Ultimate or if i could find Shell Optimax

read up on Nulon pro here

http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?produ..._Octane_Booster

Indicative RON increases:

91.5 Unleaded +PSO=96.5 (5.0 RON increase)

95 PULP +PSO=98.1 (3.1 RON increase)

98 PULP +PSO=100.1 (2.1 RON increase)

100 PULP +PSO=103.5 (3.5 RON increase)

(When used at maximum recommended treat rate.)

Directions for Use:

To boost octane add one 500ml bottle to 60 litres of petrol. Add directly to the tank prior to filling. Experiment with lower doses to establish the optimum treat rate to stop detonation. Use with each tank full.

To stop valve seat recession, add 1ml to each litre of petrol.

Edited by sapphiregraphics

Was it just a power run with all the different fuels or did they analyse burning properties, monitor knock with a chassis ear? you know the real evidence of fuel quality.

I usually use ultimate or v-power where i can find it. I find no difference between those two.

Edited by Ryanrb25

This is interesting, A few mates of mine and my self conducted an expermint around Townsvilles Petrol stations, Bascily alot of the turbos vechiles around town had been losing performance and even i had encountered missfires and backfires.

As part of my job within the Defence i am requried to conducted Fuel quality control checks prior to daily use,

Main two fuels that i work with is Avtur( basicly deisol) and AVGAS ( bascily high octain petrol containing led or low led 110 or 100 octain rating very low flash point.)

AS the fuel i work with is use on military aircraft its important that its tested constantly and monintered.

The types of tests we conduct on fuels are, Fuel drain offs, basicly take a visual samlpe mainly drain off a bucket from the LOW POINT of the tank and collect fuel into a jar and inspect. Shell water detectors, ( 5mm of fuel is sucked up into a syringe with an water detector on the bottom of it,)

This detector turns blue if any water is dected in the 5mm of fuel)

Also visual test to look for particulate and water in droplets its self

Conduct a mid sample from the middle of a fuel tanker, take a 1lt samle bottle and take to the lab..

Milipore testing.. This is the main test that tells as bascily every thing about the contition of the fuel.

Milipore kit is a filter type element that fuel passes through thats connected to the nozzle of the hose. Hose is conected onto a cam lock and fuel is circulated around the tanker and fuel is filtered throuhg the milipore.. Then taken to the lab after a few thousands liters of fuel is transfured

Ok finaly, At the lab you have your 1lt sample that we took form the mid point of the tanker and our milipore, Here we are able to conduct the following on the fuels, Flaspoint testing, octane rating testing, mixed product , water, levels of FSII ( fuel system iceing inhibrator,prevents fuels from freezing at high altitude,mainly in avtur.

ANYWAY,,, So a few mates of mine went around Main petrol stations around Townsville to conduct fuel testing,

I will not name the fuel stations for legal reasons i guess but the results were amazing and ull see why,

The major fuel stations that most import car owerners use were tested,

Firstly we drained of 20liters of high octain fuel being 98ron, small ammount was also put into a jar after the 20liters was drained into jerry can.

The fuel was visualy inspected and shell water dected. we then drained 10liters of standard fuel just for a visual inspection.

Then back to the lab for a flashpoint test etc

This was done at three main BIG name petrol stations..

The restults were:

First petrol station ( 98ron) FQC visual and shell water, water found, particulate found, octane number RON=( 92), Flash Point -(37)-40°C,

Visual inspection on standard fuel( particulate and water dected)

Second petrol station. (98ron) FQC visual and shell water. No water dected, minor particulate found, ouctane number (87! !) flashpoint -(36) -40,

standard fuel, visual and water test, PASS.

Third petrol (95 to 98ron) FQC pass, water pass, flaspoint -39 (-40) octain number 91

standard fuel failed the visual and failed the shell water test,

At this point i was curious as to why the fuel was such poor quality and standard.

I got a number of mixed answers,

Firstly, that they had justed changed the batch of fuel from that morning, from reg to high,

They dont conduct tests on the fuel as they have not have had formal traning on the fuel, fuel system or testes,

They are only required to DIP the tanks its not there responsibility to test for water,

Some times water gets in the storage tanks and people get water in there fuel' but its not ennough to affect vechiles in anyway (WRONG)

Last one.. We didnt have much highoctane left and we switched loaded the reg tank into the high octain tank. becuase there was not going to be another odd load for 4 days.. People wont notice tho! (wrong)

Are there filters in the refueling system and are they checked.?

First station. Yes and yes, ok good

second station. Im not to sure on that i can check for you.

Third: same as last.

As you can see from the test that i and my friends conducted the standard of fuel is very poor, We are not getting what we pay for, it is damaging our vechiles, companys are using incorrect procedures to suply fuel and staff are not quallified to correctly handel and test fuel( DAILY)

Just to make sure, 6months later being from the original test date, we conducted the same test again. The results had changed in water wise, however the octain ratiing was still the same with higher then normal flaspoints all around.. Its a joke.

A fellow test buddy found microbiological contaminate in the diesol he tested.. Cladosporium resinae!!

Hope this was some usefull information to you... Personaly i use BP in my car. ;-)

Sorry for the bad spelling and rammbling on.