SAU Community

Tapleys Hill Road

TUFF_350

Beleive i did read the whole thread my friend beleive i did.....

yea wrx drivers suck, they only 1 up on commo drivers.

great stereo types :( love em always quicker to make assumptions.

saves me having to treat ya as an individual

Edited by Inline 6

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yea wrx drivers suck, they only 1 up on commo drivers.

great stereo types :( love em always quicker to make assumptions.

saves me having to treat ya as an individual

Hrmmmmmmmm

*pulls knifes outta my back*

Many reasons why i chose a WRX my friend as my daily.

check post #31 on page one

any who i like WRX's there a great car one even took out the very first PGA dyno day last year with 305 AWKW

Read and accepted...Now lets get back to the SAU love :(:D

all p platers and people in general under 20 all cry and sook when the goverment give them restrictions on what they can drive.

15 yrs ago we all learnt to drive in 75 hp datsun 180b's, and corolla's.

it took 2 minutes to get to 100 kph and the death toll of youths was never heard off.

people these days that are 30+ have far greater respect for motor vehicles then a young punk thrashing a car his dad bought for him.

my thoughts only, but we should have 100hp cap on all people less then 20.

learn to drive before you race,

and be mature enough to recognise the consiquences.

Alright, please no old people talk here... I highly doubt everyone was driving 75hp datsuns and corollas 15 years ago... I also highly doubt there was no street racing and young drivers casualties... I'm surprised you didnt say everyone was riding horses back then. I lived back, and even though I was only 5 15 years ago, I'm pretty sure I'd remember if there were only two different cars on the road... maybe in communism but not here.

You can do stupid shit with pretty much every car... 99% (I just made up this statistic but lets just say vast majority) of P-platers die in their parents old VS commodores. Rarely you hear of fatal P-plater crash involving skylines, wrxs or any performance imports... I dont say it never happens, but its much easier to randomly trash around some $1000 commodore than $15000+ import. Young people driving imports would be more careful and have more respect for their cars and the power than sick cants in "stockexcept$500cheapchinesechromewheels" commodores I'd imagine.

Even I personally cant say I never had a bit of fun in my car, but when I do that I do it on an empty road (ie freeway at night) and with no other passengers in car and I'd certanly never do stupid shit like 140 around corner. I am waiting to be attacked by SAU's old people community again, but sometimes if the condidions are right I see nothing wrong with just giving it a bit of a squirt to see how fast the car can accelrate... especially with only one shitty race track in the whole state charging $100 per day ($100 for what exactly??? I mean I'm 20, not rich) and not to mention all other charges and licences etc...

Seems like the guy in wrx was really just showing off in front of crowds and had bit too much confidence. 140 around corner with car packed with passengers at the back is just stupid...

RIP Dimitri

Edited by Rocky88

Actually thats wrong, if you take the restrictor outta the line it only runs wastegate pressure (7psi) it needs the restrictor in the lines to acheive the boost (in my 02 wrx thats 14psi pretty sure its around the mark for all of them)

My understanding of the mechanics is thus;

Pressure is determined by the ECU (or boost controller) releasing the blow off valve when the turbo has reached or exceeds its specification (at least electronicly controlled ones do). Turbos are constantly spooling, the only reason that they don't come on boost till a certain time is because the BOV is always open, then it closes, boost builds up and then once boost is reached the valve either opens enough to keep it at the set pressure, or it opens entirely when you change gear.

At least thats how I think it works. Ryan?

-D

Pressure is determined by the ECU (or boost controller) releasing the blow off valve when the turbo has reached or exceeds its specification (at least electronicly controlled ones do). Turbos are constantly spooling, the only reason that they don't come on boost till a certain time is because the BOV is always open, then it closes, boost builds up and then once boost is reached the valve either opens enough to keep it at the set pressure, or it opens entirely when you change gear.

-D

Ahhh not quite, some of the R E A L L Y early jap turbo setups worked along that theory (like on the FJ20's they had a pressure releif valve on the plenum and thats how you set the boost up!)...If you take the BOV part out and put turbo wastegate into it your spot on the money my friend!! Only thing the BOV does is vent the excess pressure outta the inlet system when the throttle is shut.

Only reason i corrected you on the boost restrictor bit is i just had my 100000km service in the wrx done not long ago (you think its expensive on a skyline should try it on a wrx YIKES!!!) and the guy i got to do it had one before and we ended up putting the restrictor back into the line coming from the compressor housing cover to make it build the boost to 14psi! I know on the RB series you take that restrictor out to make it run more boost eh????

Ahhh not quite, some of the R E A L L Y early jap turbo setups worked along that theory (like on the FJ20's they had a pressure releif valve on the plenum and thats how you set the boost up!)...If you take the BOV part out and put turbo wastegate into it your spot on the money my friend!! Only thing the BOV does is vent the excess pressure outta the inlet system when the throttle is shut.

So did they change the way they control the boost or did they just use that combination in a different package (ie integration)

Only reason i corrected you on the boost restrictor bit is i just had my 100000km service in the wrx done not long ago (you think its expensive on a skyline should try it on a wrx YIKES!!!) and the guy i got to do it had one before and we ended up putting the restrictor back into the line coming from the compressor housing cover to make it build the boost to 14psi! I know on the RB series you take that restrictor out to make it run more boost eh????

Heh I like to learn as much as I can (im not mechanically inclined tho i'm not too bad at engineering) so i appreciate the correction. I'm not quite sure in that case what the hose on the skylines does, as when I got mine there was already a boost controller installed so I never had to play around with that side of things... I would have figured that regardless of the hose, the mechanics and tuning stays the same, what you're doing by changing the hose is reducing a pressure bottleneck along the line... no?

-D

So did they change the way they control the boost or did they just use that combination in a different package (ie integration)

Heh I like to learn as much as I can (im not mechanically inclined tho i'm not too bad at engineering) so i appreciate the correction. I'm not quite sure in that case what the hose on the skylines does, as when I got mine there was already a boost controller installed so I never had to play around with that side of things... I would have figured that regardless of the hose, the mechanics and tuning stays the same, what you're doing by changing the hose is reducing a pressure bottleneck along the line... no?

-D

No mechanic here either mate trust me, just listen and learn as i go along! Not saying everything i say is right either! Ryan can come along and correct me if he thinks its not right!!

Yer controlled the boost really well...The pop off valve was adjustable and thats how you controlled the boost!! The turbo just spun its little heart out!! Luckily this setup didn't last long beleive a few turbos and motors would've been lost along the way...Bare in mind this was the early external wastegate setups!

Yes your reducing a bottle neck which means the RB series of engines runs more boost, but to make the wrx run full boost you need that restrictor in the hose..weird i know but thats how it works!! Having gone from running wastegate boost to now running fullboost its quite a weird feeling when you put your foot down feeling it control the boost (or at least thats what i think it is lol)

Edited by Boof

it doesn't matter what car someone is driving or their age or skill level, if you're driving like a tool on a public road, you will probably kill yourself or your mates.

i don't know how many more accidents it will take for people to realise it's just not worth it.

it doesn't matter what car someone is driving or their age or skill level, if you're driving like a tool on a public road, you will probably kill yourself or your mates.

i don't know how many more accidents it will take for people to realise it's just not worth it.

Not sure who made this quote but "There is no limit to the boundaries of human stupidity."

-D

Alright, please no old people talk here... I highly doubt everyone was driving 75hp datsuns and corollas 15 years ago...

You can do stupid shit with pretty much every car... 99% (I just made up this statistic but lets just say vast majority) of P-platers die in their parents old VS commodores. Rarely you hear of fatal P-plater crash involving skylines, wrxs or any performance imports... I dont say it never happens, but its much easier to randomly trash around some $1000 commodore than $15000+ import. You

I was driving Datsuns 15 years ago :( ... but then I got bored and squeezed in an SR20 and supercharger for 250hp :banana:

Most times when I turn on the tv and there's been a prang, I usually almost always see a Commonwhore involved. Any car can be a weapon, but for some unknown reason I see mostly commodores coming to grief.

I agree with Kellie. This thread is done now. A mate of mine knew this guy and doesn't need to browse thru here and read this stuff.

QUOTE (Dohmar @ 15 Nov 2008, 11:29 PM) *

-D

A conventional, well 99% of turbo's ive ever seen regulate the boost via the wastegate. An internal wastegate is held shut by an actuator with a set pressure spring in it with a vac/boost line connected to it. The wastegate is shut completely to allow all your exhausts gasses to spool the turbo as fast as it can. If you have a 8psi actuator, The 8psi of pressure in the boostline will push the actuator spring inwards, which then pushes the actuator rod outwards and wastegate will open to a certain amount, allowing the exhaust gasses to bypass the turbine (partially) still allowing a certain amount of gasses to spool the turbo.

This is the rear of my turbo. You can see the actuator is on the left hand side. It's basically a little flap which controls the flow that bypasses the turbine.

The blow off valve on an RB motor is open under vacuum (also a spring i believe) and when boost builds, it holds it shut, so then when you back off the throttle and vac is applid then the blow off valve releases the pressure (instead of back through the turbo) back infront of the turbo and behind the AFM. This has no control over boost levels.

I hope this made any sense whatsoever.

17092008373.jpg

Edited by Ryanrb25

yo man

i just read ur post about turbos and it made sense

i was just wondering how an EBC can superseed a fixed mechanical valve?

generally an mechanical style 8psi actuator will start opening up around 4psi, and slowly open up to a max of 8psi. This kind of slows the spooling down because gasses are slowing being bypassed before the turbo has reached it's desired psi. An electronic boost solinoid, bleeds all boost going to the actuator so it's dead closed before it reaches 8psi, Bang on close to 8psi it will allow boost to push the actuator open so it's spooled it's hardest right up to 8psi. Then the solinoid pulses rapidly to allow either boost in or out of the actuator to control any fluctuation in the boost curve...it's pretty smart the way it works..it's easier to explain when it's right infront of you...

• 2 weeks later...

i use to do to school with the guy that died, and the driver.

dimi was a good guy. some dick head driving like a complete tool caoused him to die.

the driver was like 'they shouldnt have been in the car with me' so i have been told.

15 mates watching one of your best mates die. the other 2 in the back seat watching him take his last breth... changes your totall perspective on life its self.

this was pretty horrible,

i went to school with the sister of the teen who died and were friends with her, as was vu (typevu). shes absolutely devastated by this.

hearing about what exactly happened coming from directly from the source was almost sickening. i wont repeat the exact details but as you can all imagine its not very pretty.

i cannot tolerate speeding on any extent after my crash in my 33 (not that i was speeding.) just being in a car going 1k quicker than the spedd limit scares me.

just thinking about crashing at 100k+/hour is enough to send shivers down anyones spine. 99% of people on here are responsible on the road but for the 1%, honestly just grow up. it's not worth it.