SAU Community

Tapleys Hill Road

TUFF_350

From what I've read they aren't allowed to drive a restricted vehicle regardless...some still take chances but if they get caught they're in big trouble. I'm not entirely sure of the consequences but it's either most of the demerit points take, big fine and car impounded (I don't know how long) or they get their licence suspended, big fine and car impounded. It would again be better to research the topic through government sites though.

there are mods on cars which are illegal and defectable but does that stop people from doing it? we also have laws on hooning but does that stop people from doing it? we have a shit load of road rules like speeding etc but does that still stop people from doing it? and the list goes on. if 4 cylinder cars with 100kw max were only allowed in this country then yes it will stop them

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there are mods on cars which are illegal and defectable but does that stop people from doing it? we also have laws on hooning but does that stop people from doing it? we have a shit load of road rules like speeding etc but does that still stop people from doing it? and the list goes on. if 4 cylinder cars with 100kw max were only allowed in this country then yes it will stop them

I never said about it being bullet proof. :) Unless we become a police state there will always be people who think they are above the law or can outsmart it.

Edit: If we were only allowed 100kw 4 cylinder cars there will be people that modify the cars to get more performance out of their car.

Edited by Eddyfier

They ought to ban any Holden that is RWD/V6/V8 to teenagers. There goes a vast majority of Thursday, Friday and Saturday night's hooning problems. It wont be easy to change the driving attitude of Australia when society revolves around V8 Supercar, V8 production cars, V8 this V8 that V8 is the be all and end all, "powerful" "muscle" cars and so forth - similar problem to this "underage drinking" problem and drink driving - how can a society end that problem when said society revolves around beer and alcohol! Beer and bbq, beer down at the pub, beer and alcohol at parties, beer and alcohol on friday saturday nights, beer this alcohol that. AND the fact that picking up a RWD V6 Commodore can be had by any young punk with a maccas pay and drive around thinking their the next Mark Skaife.

And yeah, power restrictions is a solution but is only a PART of the solution - or more like a band aid fix for the government to avoid spending money/effort. There needs to be more things done alongside to really make an impact. All it takes is for some kid to wrap the family's V6 Commodore around a pole while doing a burntout and it'll end up on the news as "teen seriously injured after hooning in suburbs" or some kid in a bottom of the range Honda/Pulsar/Corolla thinking his king of the mountains after watching too much Initial D flies off a cliff and ends up on the news as "teen killed in street racing".

I dont think its just the "driving attitude" that is a problem in teenagers nowadays but more like their attitude towards society in general is lacking altogether - lack or respect towards fellow humans, respect for property, peer influences, their tolerance towards death and injuries are higher due to movies and television therefore watching crash videos isnt going to phase them too much - it'll brush off as soon as they exit the doors... theres alot to mention and they all come together to influence the way they drive.

if you ban commies v6-v8's then won't some of them get skylines to hoon in? which results with it rubbing off on us again!

it's not only their attitude towards society but i believe even the older generation plays a part! basically with some people it's monkey see monkey do! the people who i grew up with had older family members who were big holden fans whom basically taught some of my mates how to become hoons! directly and indirectly influenced them

Edited by nos man

if you ban commies v6-v8's then won't some of them get skylines to hoon in? which results with it rubbing off on us again!

Its kinda obvious: if you introduce a power restriction rule for L and P platers, then that would also rule out Skylines. Problem solved.

The police also need to get strict with offenders. I love the NZ 3 strikes you're out rule. They catch you doing 3 offences, they impound your car on the spot. Keep doing it and you lose it for good and you get the bill for the crushing. So if you spin the wheels taking off from the lights, whilst talking on your mobile, and then speed off ... they nab you.

A bit harsh? Not as harsh as killing an innocent person. My best friend was killed by a speeding driver who had been caught offending 4 times prior to that in the span of 2 months. Not once did they throw him in jail or stop him from driving. If they'd put him in jail or crushed his car, my friend would still be alive today.

Edited by RubyRS4

with the restrictions what's stopping them from registering the car under their parents name? i know many teens who do it, especially for insurance purposes! or maybe getting a hyundai excel and turbocharging it?

Hyundai + turbo = illegal = cancelled insurance = police prosecution etc etc. If they wanna risk it, then they can suffer the consequences. Its called fraud ... and there are some big penalties. Police breathos can assist in filtering young drivers in cars they are not allowed to be driving. If the police want to get serious on reducing the death toll, this would be a great place to start. Go straight to the source of the problem: young drivers + big cars.

Same theory for motorcyclists. Whats to stop them riding a 600 or 1000 whilst on their Ls? Some do ... but all the one's I've heard of got caught. As a motorcycle community, we don't tolerate it. We've sent riders home because they've been riding a bike they cannot legally ride. Perhaps the car community could do the same thing, and let drivers know illegal behaviour is not tolerated. Oh wait a sec, some of us do ... but we've been criticised for doing so. Car drivers tolerate illegal activity, thats the problem. Shops sell goods they fully know are not for street use.

There will be ways around things, but at least make it harder for the offender.

We've sent riders home because they've been riding a bike they cannot legally ride.

And Kellie was keeping people away from us that drive like wankers, and she got flamed for it. Where do you draw the line?

I got hit head on by a drunk driver, had been on my P's for a week. Wrote mums astra off, guy tried to knock out the cop at the scene and was well known by the cops prior to the incident. I could safely assume hes back out in the community. I personally think the justice system must cop the brunt of alot of this, people lose their license and appeal in court saying you need it for work etc. Maybe we do need to adopt the 3 strike rule. I remember when they introduced the new hoon laws, where police can impound your car for 24, 48 or 72 hours, something like that. Dont think it really scares anyone (talking about the hoons), or does the impounding even occur? I think offenders tend to get away/ get off lightly, and its usually those who have done stupid shit in the past and got caught who are the repeat offenders.

i say bring on the 3 strike rule!

otherwise if you wanna stop youths from killing themselves then we should adopt the finland way of getting your license! you gotta learn how to car control in finland

should have to learn to control your car. period. sure teaching those 'no good kids' how to drive their own car might give em a bit of an ego boost, but shit, if what he learns helps him avoid a fatal situation just once when he does do something stupid, then its worth it.

edit: and for everyone else, the well adjusted kids who just wanna learn what to do when the shit hits the fan on the roads, how could that possibly be a negative?

Edited by scandyflick

As Dave said they don't crush, they put the car up for auction.

I've actually seen one of those shows where the cops in NZ did actually crush cars. I'll see if there is a YouTube source somewhere.

But I am sure most are auctioned off or returned when a hefty fine is paid.

you can take the car away from the hoon, but you cant keep the hoon away from a car.

Yes you can. Its called jail.

What we needed was the "H" hoon plates to be introduced. I'm all for it. Most dickheads would consider it a trophy, but if it had very strict conditions imposed on it, the authorities could make the punishment severe and really thin down the hoon population.

Such as: any cars pulled over with H plates speeding is an instant loss of licence and car impounded (whether they own it or not), talking on mobile also means instant loss of licence and car impounded, pulled over in a car with mods or above the power restriction would mean car impounded and the driver's licence suspended.

People caught driving whilst suspended should be banned from ever holding a licence for life. Keep driving, throw them in jail. If you were handling a firearm unlicenced, you'd be thrown in jail for that!

Who here would like to be hit by a hoon in a car not his, uninsured and unlicensed?

SLED. no need to be smart.

When I was growing up driving I was sick of all the negativity. teenagers this. teenagers that. I was a good driver. not a hoon. I feel sorry for the genuine drivers out there.

yes the 17 - 25 range have a slightly higher death rate in %.

innocent till proven guilty.

Thats all Im saying. >_<

innocent until wrapped around a pole.

get serious would you.

accidents take 1 second to start a chain reaction ocurring.

over the next 1 - 3 seconds your descision making will alter if you live or die.

how fast and capable your descision making is, is your only chance of survival.

i for one got involved with a rally club at 14. over the next 4 yrs 1 night a week we would get a group of teenagers and a few senior

members together and build maintain etc a group of rally cars.

these were raced in the events held around SA.

thru my experience with the club i got to co drive in a mazda familia rally car in the 95 Adelaide rally.

these sorts of experiences for me were pricless on many levels.

both in learning the art of rallying from a pro, and also in the mechanical and building side of things.

these sort of activities were supported by the labour government at the time and they funded a lot of our trips etc to help

teenagers interested in this sort of thing, by keeping them of the streets.

we were given government plated vehicles to get to the events and show the youth's what rallying was all about.

not long after john howward got in office the whole organisation was scrapped.

no more rallies for those that couldnt afford to get there themselves, and more importantly

no where for teenagers both mail and female, to come along and learn about motorsport.

I've actually seen one of those shows where the cops in NZ did actually crush cars. I'll see if there is a YouTube source somewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see car crushing over here in the not too distant future.

The reality is that you will never eradicate the issue. London is a great example of this. The CBD has cctv cameras covering just about every street and most businesses have multiple cameras setup and yet people still deal drugs, attack others, damage property, etc despite the extreme amount of surveillance. No matter what legislation is bought in people will still drive like idiots.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see car crushing over here in the not too distant future.

The reality is that you will never eradicate the issue. London is a great example of this. The CBD has cctv cameras covering just about every street and most businesses have multiple cameras setup and yet people still deal drugs, attack others, damage property, etc despite the extreme amount of surveillance. No matter what legislation is bought in people will still drive like idiots.

Then the authorities should then thrown them in jail. Auction off the cars to fund their jail term. No leniency.

None of this current rubbish of "Oh gee, you caught us out bluffing. Here's ya licence back. Off you go you silly driver" >_<

If control on hoon driving isn't taken seriously, then the hoons won't take it seriously.

government should give hoon drivers (and everyone else) an outlet before they start taking licences and crushing cars. if youre too cool to pay $20 to throw down some legal skids and drags, then enjoy catching the bus to work.

innocent until wrapped around a pole.

get serious would you.

accidents take 1 second to start a chain reaction ocurring.

over the next 1 - 3 seconds your descision making will alter if you live or die.

how fast and capable your descision making is, is your only chance of survival.

i for one got involved with a rally club at 14. over the next 4 yrs 1 night a week we would get a group of teenagers and a few senior

members together and build maintain etc a group of rally cars.

these were raced in the events held around SA.

thru my experience with the club i got to co drive in a mazda familia rally car in the 95 Adelaide rally.

these sorts of experiences for me were pricless on many levels.

both in learning the art of rallying from a pro, and also in the mechanical and building side of things.

these sort of activities were supported by the labour government at the time and they funded a lot of our trips etc to help

teenagers interested in this sort of thing, by keeping them of the streets.

we were given government plated vehicles to get to the events and show the youth's what rallying was all about.

not long after john howward got in office the whole organisation was scrapped.

no more rallies for those that couldnt afford to get there themselves, and more importantly

no where for teenagers both mail and female, to come along and learn about motorsport.

damn this site is quick with smart ass responses.

All i was saying is leave the teenagers doing the right things alone. its not all of them.

yes the ones causing trouble should be dealt with. IMO more harshly.

Then the authorities should then thrown them in jail. Auction off the cars to fund their jail term. No leniency.

well judging by the way our judicary system works! the offenders may get compensation for stress from facing prosecution or some shit. it's a joke how so many serial road offenders are punished

Edited by nos man