SAU Community

off street sealed road for driver training

PranK

Hi guys,

My almost 16 year old is itching to start learning to drive. I told her I'd try to find an open space where she can get a taste of driving before she gets her L's.

Does anybody know where I could go for this? It's obviously going to be only slow speed but just a big area where she can feel comfortable.

Worth reiterating that she is currently unlicensed so needs to be private land.

Thanks

This is probably not going to be overly helpful, but if you feel keen for a drive out into the bush, there are heaps of places out west where this could be done. When I say west, picture Bourke or Cobar. 

If that sounds like a fun adventure, feel free to send me a PM for details. 

• Like 1

Personally I think it might be too difficult finding private land like this. I'd go for a big empty parking lot and not worry about it. Clip on the Ls and I doubt anyone will say anything.

I took Jen to one of the big parking lots at Olympic Park to learn to drive manual. Around P5. It is sealed, though there was a bit of gravel on it when we there. Otherwise it's great. Huge empty open space.

This should show where it is I hope:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33°50'03.7"S+151°04'08.5"E/@-33.8343627,151.0668374,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe72e1f9bd1b18021!8m2!3d-33.8343627!4d151.0690261?hl=en

Looks like they are running a cycling school there now so would have to go at a time where they are not running it. In the evening for example.

Don't have any photos, but here's 8 seconds of first time manual driving glory at that spot. That's about half to a third of the space. It's huge.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

This is probably not going to be overly helpful, but if you feel keen for a drive out into the bush, there are heaps of places out west where this could be done. When I say west, picture Bourke or Cobar. 

If that sounds like a fun adventure, feel free to send me a PM for details. 

I'm always keen for an adventure! Just a little further than I was hoping for. 😂

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

not sealed, but we've taught a bunch of kids basic driving on our driveways, we have a couple of klm, hard to hit anything. Plus if she wants a manual we have the old hilux, doesn't matter if it gets scratched.

As someone who has always lived city-ish this still blows my mind. So you could putter around for half an hour on your driveways and never leave your property? Amazing!

@soviet_merlinwe went to that car park yesterday and would you believe it, half of it was roped off with temp offices and the other half was full of cars. No matter though, we found another out doors one that was only half full. Cost $30 but was worth it. She had a ball and really seems like a natural. Only one hear-activity inducing moment. :)

Thanks @DuncanI might take you up on that! I could get her to practice on our driveway. She'd have a solid 12 meters or so to go up and down. Hours of fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Huh, it may have been a few months since we were there. Glad to hear it worked out well regardless. Where did you end up going? I will make a note then because we might be back at some point as well.

Are you practicing on a manual or automatic transmission? It certainly takes some patience either way. It has also been the only time I have seen a CEL triggered in my car. Kind of made me go "maybe we should practice in something I don't care as much about".

Can't necessarily trust the driving instructors either. Jen did a few hours with one to just get some exposure on proper roads. She ended up coming home complaining how her leg was cramping and wondering how people do it. Turns out he told her to keep the car in gear and the foot on the clutch at the lights. What the heck?!

PS: Two more options that I noted down but didn't actually try

WSU Parking on Parramatta Road

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/WSU+Parking/@-33.8097503,151.0259537,17.7z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b12a372fe3b5985:0xfc6609c5a7c9cce8!8m2!3d-33.80956!4d151.0268641?hl=en

And the Ikea Temp car park.

Seen it a fair bit on the weekend at the Regatta Rowing Centre out Penrith way  !

Actually about 4 or 5 learners going around while we were having a picnic lunch and trying not to get blown into the rowing coarse with the winds or should I say hurricanes. 

19 hours ago, PranK said:

@soviet_merlinwe went to that car park yesterday and would you believe it, half of it was roped off with temp offices and the other half was full of cars. No matter though, we found another out doors one that was only half full. Cost $30 but was worth it. She had a ball and really seems like a natural. Only one hear-activity inducing moment. :)

Thanks @DuncanI might take you up on that! I could get her to practice on our driveway. She'd have a solid 12 meters or so to go up and down. Hours of fun!

Sounds like she is ready for her first motorsport event now! 

One of the big surprises I had moving to QLD, turns out you can start driving khanacross from 14 years old. If you're up this way, it's good to know that something like this exists.

https://skidcontrol.com.au/product/lakeside-khanacross-day-6-november-2022/