SAU Community

Illegal Import Help!

vice5500

hello all I recently purchased a r34 gtt and the vin number on the firewall has been tampered with. Now what can I do to get this car complianced and on the road etc.

Also don't import cars get given a new vin upon import

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello all I recently purchased a r34 gtt and the vin number on the firewall has been tampered with. Now what can I do to get this car complianced and on the road etc.

how was it tampered with?

I'm suspecting it's a car that has been previously stolen and recovered - it seems to be the done thing to scratch off the chassis number. It's a pain in the bum, but your workshop should know what to do in these circumstances. Normally you will have an export certificate that lists the original chassis number but notes that it has been tampered with.

I had a customer of my own in a similar situation, and we put the car back through auction, but I've since heard that such cars can and have been complied and registered before.

First of all, do you have an original dereg certificate? The car's uncomplied we're assuming, right?

Second of all, if it is complied, you're not confusing VIN stamping with the original chassis number, right? Because you have to add 6U90000 before the chassis number, sometimes they just add stamps to the original chassis number and it looks dodgy but it's acceptable.

Basically, we need more info about the current status of the car in order to help you out more properly.

cheers,

David @ Carizma

Ok well what happened is I bought the car from a guy and he gave me the import approval paper and a failed compliance invoice so I rang up the compliance place and he said it has been forged and on the firewall I am not sure if it's the vin number or the chasis number bit it's in the firewall and u can see paint run marks where it looks like it's been filled with primer filled and given a different number or something and a drill hole through a few of the numbers. It's er34xxxxx or something not writing the exact numbers down here of course. So how can something look dodgy and still pass. Doesn't it have to be cross referenced with the department of main roads when u try to register it?

Ok now I'm confused - take a photo of the problem for us all to have a look at.

Agreed, best to see photos to help work this out for you .. of course you are welcome to blur out some of the chassis number digits but make sure we can easily see the problems you are talking about ... then you should be able to get 3 good opinions from all of us experienced importers :yes:

Ah, ok, understood. Yeah, it's failed compliance, that's what a workshop does when it fails compliance. They'll usually cut out the chassis number or mark it so it can't be complied. (Some NICE workshops WON'T do this, they'll just say they never saw the car and let you deal with it another way)

Basically, you can never get this car complied, and you're supposed to destroy or export it, but you could use it as a track car, but forget about road registration cause of the failed compliance.

I assume the owner who failed compliance put a new chassis number on just to sell it (highly illegal), but you can't legally get a new import approval with this chassis number.

Try to get your money back.

Ok well what happened is I bought the car from a guy and he gave me the import approval paper and a failed compliance invoice so I rang up the compliance place and he said it has been forged and on the firewall I am not sure if it's the vin number or the chasis number bit it's in the firewall and u can see paint run marks where it looks like it's been filled with primer filled and given a different number or something and a drill hole through a few of the numbers. It's er34xxxxx or something not writing the exact numbers down here of course. So how can something look dodgy and still pass. Doesn't it have to be cross referenced with the department of main roads when u try to register it?

Well since the original person who imported it wont hand over the paper work because another companies name is on the paperwork, then cant the DMR give me a new vin number (surrogant vin)?? or get a repairable writeoff vin and use that?

i cant get my money back, and there is no way that i can get the original vin number through the export papers.

since no one can prove the vehicles history and its failed compliance cant i lodge an appeal against them and get it transfered to another compliance workshop ?

cant send a picture of firewall sorry

plus the number on the forms and the vin match a white r34 mine is silver

No, because it's an imported vehicle. Vehicle imports are governed by federal regulations (DOTARS), and only after your car is approved by them is it put on NEVDIS, which allows state governments to register it.

When a vehicle first comes in for compliance, the workshop does an Incoming Vehicle Inspection Report. If your car was accident damaged, the workshop reports this to DOTARS and your car can never be registered. It's supposed to be exported or destroyed, but you could still use it for track use (or part it out possibly). But forget about ever getting it registered.

No hope of repairable write-off VINS either, since the car is an illegal import as far as the federal government is concerned.

Do you have the original import approval? Or a copy? Technically, you should also have the de-registration certificate from Japan, but I'm assuming you don't.

If the original workshop already reported this vehicle as accident repaired to DOTARS, you can't transfer it to another workshop.

Well since the original person who imported it wont hand over the paper work because another companies name is on the paperwork, then cant the DMR give me a new vin number (surrogant vin)?? or get a repairable writeoff vin and use that?

i cant get my money back, and there is no way that i can get the original vin number through the export papers.

since no one can prove the vehicles history and its failed compliance cant i lodge an appeal against them and get it transfered to another compliance workshop ?

cant send a picture of firewall sorry

plus the number on the forms and the vin match a white r34 mine is silver

I've heard the story through a phone conversation or three, and believe me, the plot is thicker than Santa's waistline.

Long story short - it was sold as never being able to be complied, and...is never able to be complied.

Bit of a no no, but he could rebirth it...plenty of written off lines around *cough

Pls delete if inappropriate....after all I doubt it's worse than any of the repairable write offs going around.

No, he can't. That's the whole point of the new system, to stop this kind of stuff.

You're probably thinking of the old system.

That's why the workshop damages the chassis #.

Bit of a no no, but he could rebirth it...plenty of written off lines around *cough

Pls delete if inappropriate....after all I doubt it's worse than any of the repairable write offs going around.

So you suggest something highly illegal, THEN wonder if it's appropriate??

facepalm.jpg

wow how good was that...Didn't wonder at all, I left it up to the moderator.

Pls delete if inappropriate. I was also unaware re-shelling a car was illegal...but hey what would I know.

Chef...funny?

Thanks for the imformed response Carisma

Document any lies you've been told and diarise them according to

i) date

ii) witnesses

iii) the paperwork

iv) photos of relevant parts of the car

v) e-mails between you and the vendor converted to hard copy

vi) sms recordings and obtaining a list of messages from your carrier of vendor > you; and you> vendor

vii) calls between you and the vendor as listed from your telephone provider and have the whole months calls sent to you

and then write down what you remember was said at each call.

Take this documentation to your solicitor and do not tell the vendor what you're doing if you have already exhausted negotiations.

If negotiations have not quite finished, I don't know what your chances are, if you front him with a witness ie. your witness to what has happened.

Yes, I'd feel like taking a baseball bat down there; but that's just your heart.

It's time to think with your head!!! Remember that there may be one thing in your favour! If this goes to court, the judiciary or tribunal is more inclined to believe the credibility of a "diary" over a "verbal"

Hope this helps,

Tez

Document any lies you've been told and diarise them according to

i) date

ii) witnesses

iii) the paperwork

iv) photos of relevant parts of the car

v) e-mails between you and the vendor converted to hard copy

vi) sms recordings and obtaining a list of messages from your carrier of vendor > you; and you> vendor

vii) calls between you and the vendor as listed from your telephone provider and have the whole months calls sent to you

and then write down what you remember was said at each call.

Take this documentation to your solicitor and do not tell the vendor what you're doing if you have already exhausted negotiations.

If negotiations have not quite finished, I don't know what your chances are, if you front him with a witness ie. your witness to what has happe

Ok thanks for your help everyone

if it was sold as an uncompilable vehicle and you knew , thats the end of it . If your were misled your going to need PROOF it wasnt to have any sort of case.

technically its a illegal to sell the uncomplied vehicle but it seems dotars just like the say that a lot and never really do anything to anyone who does sell them especially members of the public. this would only result in a fine to the seller , not your money back anyway

you need to prove these goods were not as described and fit for purpose . if you cant PROVE it was sold as a compliable road registerable car its not going to go anywhere.

and unfortunetly it could be rebirthed under sevs , as long as its new identity is allready complied and registered .