SAU Community

Illegal Import Help!

vice5500

I know this might be a bit late in the day....but its a big wake up call for buyers. There are plenty of dodgy cars out there make sure the car you buy is road registered in OZ.

It's not technically illegal.....it is illegal and the seller can be in some serious trouble there are plenty of laws that cover this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the car has been flagged on the system by DOTARS. When the new owner tries to register the car, the inspectors will have fun tearing it apart for closer inspection then removing it from your possession.

vice5500: as I've told you on the phone a MILLION times, you cannot put a new VIN on the vehicle and think everything will be ok. It wont! I dont care if you recon your transport department said it could be done, it cant and they will work that out once they get the whole story.

What I recon has happened is the car was complied and PASSED compliance mid last year. Then somehow you have obtained either a written off car or a car with a copied VIN.

1. The car was written off and all compliance plates including the original VIN on the firewall was removed by the insurance company. The owner bought the car back, then redid the VIN number fixed the damage and sold it to you.

2. The original car is still registered somewhere in Australia and what you have is another car that has had the VIN copied from an already complied vehicle. Obviously you cant have 2 VIN's on the road in Australia, so you're screwed.

3. The original white car was written off then the VIN was copied onto a donor car/half cut to fool you into thinking that its roadworthy.

Why they gave you a fake invoice with my company name on it saying that it failed compliance, then has the details for compliance of a VZ-R Pulsar on it with balance owing of $1800. And of course they gave you a front page of a import approval that is meant for a VZ-R pulsar. Obviously this was done to try and make it look legit to you, but you really didnt think or look much into it before handing over your money.

Why would a compliance shop charge $1800 to fail a car for compliance. Usually we ask for our documentation fees and tell the owner to take the car and piss off.

Heres a tip for you. Dont try and register the thing, get rid of it legally otherwise you will get into trouble. Even if you manage to fool the local transport authority, they will eventually find out. Remember, they have all the details.

If a deal looks dodgy, it usually is.

Edited by sbyder

sbyder is probably right...I take it the guy gave you the "I can't comply it but hey it's real easy if I transfer it to you with this new VIN and you get a cheap ride" line? Short story is if he can't comply it, there's no way you can so I would give up on ever using the car.

If not getting your money back is an option (e.g. he's gone or you knew it was like this) then best thing to do is hope the parts are in good condition and part it out and sell the shell to the wreckers. Get as much back as you can and then save up for one from a reputable dealer.

Hey, I know the lure of a good deal may be too hard to resist, but you will learn from your mistakes :(

It looks as if in Modifications & Maintenance > General Maintenance that...

you can't get 9 of the wheel nuts off it either !!! :(

'Der... they're those special dr/ft wheel nuts where you can screw 'em on, but ya can't screw 'em off!!! :)

Yeh! That's it! Special wheel nuts with explosive powa

• 2 months later...

What can be used from an illegal car? Is the engine allowed to be put in a road registered car? Other parts? If your car is flagged can't buy a registerable rolling shell and transfer parts ?

Just curious

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What can be used from an illegal car? Is the engine allowed to be put in a road registered car? Other parts? If your car is flagged can't buy a registerable rolling shell and transfer parts ?

Just curious

yeh I think so. I'm pretty sure I read a thread a few years back on supraforums about a guy whose TT Supra was knocked back for compliance, in the end I'm pretty sure he got an NA aerotop and transfered all the gear to that.