SAU Community

Potenza G Ii....wtf?

Hey Guys......had the V35 for a couple of weeks now....going back in Jan to get a new gearbox (under warranty), but other than that ...great!...fantastic on petrol, compared to my last car, a 33GTST.

Now..Potenza G2 (I believe the standard release tyre for my car)....@ about >80 tread, and bloody noisy!

(hoping it's not the bearings, but unlikely)....

Potenza drivers???...DO YOU FIND THIS particular TYRE NOISY????...Mine give me the shits...not to mention their very little wet weather performance!! (IMHO).

Also, would love to hear suggestions on a good mid-range tyre that IS QUITE!!!!

I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Cheers.

oh!..ps!......do you think that tyre manufacture's actually test their tyres at all ranges of the tyre's age...I've had this issue too many times where the tire is quiet at first (new), then shite at 8-10 months in...(talking about tyre noise here).

Edited by superspit

If they're the same as mine, I noticed massive tyre noise too: I put it down to mild flat-spotting as the car sat for months during transport/compliance, and I've only driven about 60km on them: I am hoping the sort themselves out. My other V35 with 19's on it is way quieter in the tyre department

If they're the same as mine, I noticed massive tyre noise too: I put it down to mild flat-spotting as the car sat for months during transport/compliance, and I've only driven about 60km on them: I am hoping the sort themselves out. My other V35 with 19's on it is way quieter in the tyre department

hi mate....merry christmas!

Not sure if mine are FSpotted......it's a very constant, proportional (with road speed/surface type) noise...'zooming' almost...kind of like bearings, but not (i hope)....it really shits me mate!

When I bought my R33 it came with Potenza G-IIIs, and I don't recall being a massive difference in road noise between them and what I am currently running, Federal 595SSs. They did make a fair amount of noise, not enough to give me the shits after 6+ hour drives though.

+1 on wet weather performance though, I think my Federals are slightly better in that department. Dry weather though, Potenzas had it hands down. The Potenzas where better to drift on too, until it rained anyways lol

When I bought my R33 it came with Potenza G-IIIs, and I don't recall being a massive difference in road noise between them and what I am currently running, Federal 595SSs. They did make a fair amount of noise, not enough to give me the shits after 6+ hour drives though.

+1 on wet weather performance though, I think my Federals are slightly better in that department. Dry weather though, Potenzas had it hands down. The Potenzas where better to drift on too, until it rained anyways lol

hahahaha...cool man!

I don't drift but!....(lol)

I'm with you on the dry weather comment....they are a great tyre for that, very confident....

...wet=downright dangerous and embarrassing!...(1985 Magna's take off faster than me in the wet!!!)..shits me!

Maybe your G3's are just a better designed tyre than my G2's???....maybe my ears have better frequency selectivity than yours!..lol!!!

Merry Christmas Cassbo!!!

hahahaha...cool man!

I don't drift but!....(lol)

I'm with you on the dry weather comment....they are a great tyre for that, very confident....

...wet=downright dangerous and embarrassing!...(1985 Magna's take off faster than me in the wet!!!)..shits me!

Maybe your G3's are just a better designed tyre than my G2's???....maybe my ears have better frequency selectivity than yours!..lol!!!

Merry Christmas Cassbo!!!

I had a set on mine. They were feathered to hell. Swapped them for semi-cheapies until i can find better. Got Nexen N-5000. They are OK but not good. It bought my sanity back though.

I'll be looking for a better set real soon though.

Hey Guys......had the V35 for a couple of weeks now....going back in Jan to get a new gearbox (under warranty), but other than that ...great!...fantastic on petrol, compared to my last car, a 33GTST.

Now..Potenza G2 (I believe the standard release tyre for my car)....@ about >80 tread, and bloody noisy!

(hoping it's not the bearings, but unlikely)....

Potenza drivers???...DO YOU FIND THIS particular TYRE NOISY????...Mine give me the shits...not to mention their very little wet weather performance!! (IMHO).

Also, would love to hear suggestions on a good mid-range tyre that IS QUITE!!!!

I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Cheers.

oh!..ps!......do you think that tyre manufacture's actually test their tyres at all ranges of the tyre's age...I've had this issue too many times where the tire is quiet at first (new), then shite at 8-10 months in...(talking about tyre noise here).

Just wondering what was wrong with the gear box ?

I had Potenza's on my Audi and they were really load.. I just picked up my v-35 and went for a long drive IE... Brisbane to Melbourne and they were even louder... I stopped and checked what tyres i've got.. and guess what... bloody Potenza's.... never again... So what is the quietest tyre ?

I had Potenza's on my Audi and they were really load.. I just picked up my v-35 and went for a long drive IE... Brisbane to Melbourne and they were even louder... I stopped and checked what tyres i've got.. and guess what... bloody Potenza's.... never again... So what is the quietest tyre ?

I have to admit (though I'm sorry for your noise) that I'm happy that I'm not the only one!..lol!

Did you ever suspect (wheel bearings, as I did.....(and still can't quite shake that feeling?? )

This morning I drove my 2 bosses to work, (break-up piss up) and they enjoyed the drive (well, the one in the front seat did anyway!!..lol!), but commented on the 'cheap sounding' ride, for such a luxurious type car......I appreciated their comments, coz they were farkin true!

I think my next set of tyres will be a very standard performance tire, without all the 'supa-groovy, supa-wanky' tread patterns, that still seem to leave me spinnin my wheels from the lights in anything but dry weather.

My 95 auto Ford Festiva is a darn side quieter!...that reeeeeeeeeeeally shits me bra!

So, on top of a gearbox with a 'shot' input shaft bearing (and god knows what else), I've got shit Potenza's that tell me when my car is moving at any speed greater than 30kmh.....

Still love the car though.

Anyways, while I'm half sozzled I'll ask this to those out there...is there a definitive test for wheel bearing noise, without resorting to spanners.......(there's no free-play on any rims, incase you might ask)

cheers!.

oh...on another note...I felt good throwing (donating) a little cash at this site lastnite......it is just a great place, and has served me very well over the last few years...thanx SAU, and the people who make it possible!

I have to admit (though I'm sorry for your noise) that I'm happy that I'm not the only one!..lol!

Did you ever suspect (wheel bearings, as I did.....(and still can't quite shake that feeling?? )

This morning I drove my 2 bosses to work, (break-up piss up) and they enjoyed the drive (well, the one in the front seat did anyway!!..lol!), but commented on the 'cheap sounding' ride, for such a luxurious type car......I appreciated their comments, coz they were farkin true!

I think my next set of tyres will be a very standard performance tire, without all the 'supa-groovy, supa-wanky' tread patterns, that still seem to leave me spinnin my wheels from the lights in anything but dry weather.

My 95 auto Ford Festiva is a darn side quieter!...that reeeeeeeeeeeally shits me bra!

So, on top of a gearbox with a 'shot' input shaft bearing (and god knows what else), I've got shit Potenza's that tell me when my car is moving at any speed greater than 30kmh.....

Still love the car though.

Anyways, while I'm half sozzled I'll ask this to those out there...is there a definitive test for wheel bearing noise, without resorting to spanners.......(there's no free-play on any rims, incase you might ask)

cheers!.

oh...on another note...I felt good throwing (donating) a little cash at this site lastnite......it is just a great place, and has served me very well over the last few years...thanx SAU, and the people who make it possible!

oh shit...they're actually Pot G3's...not G2's!