SAU Community

Boost Leak

donut_kng

Ok, after having grief getting my boost controller to work, I have narrowed it down to it being a boost or exhaust leak.

Im thinking its either from either 1) exhuast i.e manifold to ext wastegate or turbo to manifold or manifold to engine or no. 2) somewhere along the intercooler piping to throttle body.

Basically what it does, is no boost past 15psi with any boost controller turned up to max, and with no boost controller - running it straight of the ext wastegate I only see bout 10psi, when it has a 14psi spring.

My question is is there any way to tell where the leak is from (1 or 2)? Just would like to get a heads up before I start ripping off impossible to get to wastegates.

Cheers in adavanced.

by boost i mean exhaust pressure or boost pressure,

as my theroy is if im not making boost its either bcause its pissin out through a leak before it gets to the turbo, or after the turbo has made the boost BUT before it gets to the plenum (which is where the guage is tapped off)

I have tried 2 boost controllers both with the same problem - and even tried it with no boost controller and im only getting 10psi out of a 14psi gate.

(I keep this saved because I couldn't be bothered to write it up everytime someone asks how to find a leak in the intake.)

1. take your pod and AFM off.

2. use a baked bean can (full) and put it into your rubber intake pipe (assuming its still the stock one).

3. tighten up the hose clamp onto the tin creating a seal.

4. Open the throttle body with a brick on the accelerator pedal.

5. take a hose that is plumbed into your intake between the turbo and the plenum or off the plenum itself.

6. Get an air compressor and pressurize the system through the hose and get someone to read the psi on the boost gauge. you only need about 5psi. you can use the compressors at the servos.

7. Listen for a leak. And use the soapy water in the spray bottle to find exactly where it is if need be.

It is easier to find a boost or pressure leak using this method because the car is not running and is easier to hear and locate.