SAU Community

Advice Needed On Registering Car Being Bought Over From Nsw

stolly

Hello, just wondering if someone can tell me whats involved in getting a car registered in WA that will be bought over from NSW. It's a late model Monaro (about 3-4 yrs old) basically std except for exhaust and lowered. It has also been un-registered over here for the last 5 months - not sure if this will make a difference or not?

Thankyou.

This topic has been covered a bunch of times here already.

But basically; you'll need a temporary moving permit (48hrs) which will allow you to take it to the pits, you'll need to get a inspection done and as long as everything is legal on the car; you should be good to go the same day.

You will need to check that the car has an immobiliser as they're required here but not in the eastern states. If you don't have an immobiliser; you'll need to get one fitted before getting the inspection done.

For the inspection you'll need change of ownership forms and any other related documentation. Also you'll need to make sure all lights/wipers/indicators etc. etc. is in 100% working condition.

dont expect to pass over the first time tho, they will turn you away if you have a slight oil leak. being a comodore it will have plenty :banana: as soon as the car hits WA soil you arnt aloud to drive it so yeh like levinet said.. get a permit, its only about 12 bucks.

prepare to pay about 70 bucks for your first going.. second time will be about 35 from memory.

go first thing in the morning and go to welshpool.

that's what taking it over the pits is for.

Oh and be prepared to pay a fair whack for stamp duty and any sort of contract you had showing purchase price.

My guy let me pass with a minor oil leak which he said to get fixed and I have.

• 7 months later...

are there any pits here that do inspections by appointments? Last time i went to welshpool the dam line was pass the outside gate. From memory i was there for 3hrs. My car is stock bar cat back so shouldn't have problem passing. More concerned about not waitng to pass. Is midland busy? Also where do i ring for temp moving permit?

Edited by drgnball34

are there any pits here that do inspections by appointments? Last time i went to welshpool the dam line was pass the outside gate. From memory i was there for 3hrs. My car is stock bar cat back so shouldn't have problem passing. More concerned about not waitng to pass. Is midland busy? Also where do i ring for temp moving permit?

All the centres in Perth are by appointment, I think at Welshpool you can rock up before 8 without an appointment ?? Not to sure about this though. Easier to make an appointment.

Temporary Movement Permits can be purchased over the phone with credit card, or at any licensing centre. $13.85 ?? or something minor, you'll need the VIN/Chassis and Engine number.

Don't forget you will probably have to do an IMS240 test if you have a modified exhaust so budget a couple of grand for that(pits will te3ll you if you need this test)

^^^ its not an import so it'll be fine... LOL.

No really, I bet he'll pass without the IM240 test, its post 89, and naturally aspirated, and its not like the guys at the pits know what theyre looking for either.

any vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust it supposed to have the test :)

Actually, its an R34, not a Monaro, LOL when I read the thread I did notice it was an old one bumped, but for some reason that didnt click when I was replying.

Yeah, R34 Skyline, put another few grand away for emmisions buddy, you'll need it.

picked up my vspec II from nsw last tuesday and took it over the pits on thursday and passed. It has turbo back exhaust, rims and coilovers. Did the inspection at east perth. Really nice guy and was more interested in my car then the inspection lol.

picked up my vspec II from nsw last tuesday and took it over the pits on thursday and passed. It has turbo back exhaust, rims and coilovers. Did the inspection at east perth. Really nice guy and was more interested in my car then the inspection lol.

Was the vehicle already registered over East?

if not, no emmisions test?

It was complied march last year and ever since then never been registered and sitting in the yard. But the day before the dealer sent it to the depo he got it registered to nsw. Dont know why thou but it rolled of the train with brand new nsw plates. I didn't need a emmision test.

It was complied march last year and ever since then never been registered and sitting in the yard. But the day before the dealer sent it to the depo he got it registered to nsw. Dont know why thou but it rolled of the train with brand new nsw plates. I didn't need a emmision test.

So you were registering a "vehicle transfer", not registering an unregistered vehicle, that'd be why they didn't ask for an emmisions test.

Although I keep hearing alot of people are passing pits with all stock setups.

so let's say you brought over a car from NSW that had a cat-back...

it is registered but needs WA plates now... if you have a modified exhaust you will need to get the IM240 test?

and on another note: if you go over pits now with a standard exhaust (car already registered here) there will be no IM240 test required correct?

thanks guys