SAU Community

No Down Low Power? R34 Gt Sedan What Could Be Causeing It?

beemer395

Hi guys about six months ago i purchased an AUTOMATIC 99 four door r34 gt.

Ever since i have owned the car it has seemed to have no "down low" power as in a charade could get of the lights faster than i could. When i bought the car it was fitted with a massive four inch cannon and a pod filter (pod still fitted at this stage but am looking for a stock airbox if anybody wants to sell me one)

i originally thought the cannon could be causeing the loss of downlow power so this was replaced with a stock twin tip muffler from a two door r34 with no improvement at all...Recently the twin tip i bought has carked it and only vents from one of the tips and makes a horrible noise on acceleration ( i know this has to be replaced could this be a reason for the loss of power? A loss of pressure possibly???

could the K & N pod be causeing this lack of downlow power? I appreciate it is no turbo and auto but my dads hyundai elantra has better take off than my car something is just not right..any tips would be greatly appreciated other than the pod it is completly stock..

stock rear muffler only vents from one side until pressure is up........thats my experiece with a turbo factory r34 muffler.

id be getting it serviced and tuned..... get a stock box with high flow filter or sheild the pod and get cold air into it........ wat fuel do u use?

stock rear muffler only vents from one side until pressure is up........thats my experiece with a turbo factory r34 muffler.

id be getting it serviced and tuned..... get a stock box with high flow filter or sheild the pod and get cold air into it........ wat fuel do u use?

Ok my only vents from the left vent. I plan on getting it serviced very soon how much is a tune?

Ive been trying to get my hands on a stock box for months with no luck the only one's that seem to be for sale are turbo airboxes...are any old airboxes interchangeble with the gt airbox?

Hey mate,

You got the same problem as me. I assume you have a RB20de R34 gt like me?

I know what you mean about the sluggish low down power. A air filter change could be a start but it didn't help me. I've also done a service, but yet to do the plugs. And still no joy.

However, i'm 99% sure the problem is caused with cat convertors stuffed. I'll be getting a new hi-flow one along with a new O2 sensor which should give me a bit better fuel economy as well.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by Chang

Hey mate,

You got the same problem as me. I assume you have a RB20de R34 gt like me?

I know what you mean about the sluggish low down power. A air filter change could be a start but it didn't help me. I've also done a service, but yet to do the plugs. And still no joy.

However, i'm 99% sure the problem is caused with cat convertors stuffed. I'll be getting a new hi-flow one along with a new O2 sensor which should give me a bit better fuel economy as well.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wait.... I think I found your problem.

Yeah some did mention it could be the cat converter was probably stuffed how much are they to get replaced ruffly i heard it was pretty expensie??

Im not sure which engine i have in mine all i know that at the moment for a V6 it goes like ass...it wasnt like that when i first purchased it thought has just got progressively worse.

Haha, I know. But it is a base car and the engine is only temporary until my new transplant goes in.

Take a photo of your engine bay, I have never heard of a RB20DE in a 34. If it actually is an auto RB20DE in a sedan R34 than you shouldn't be so surprised its slow and sluggish especially with the extra weight of the R34 sedan over a R32. They arn't exactly meant to feel super responsive and quick. I suspect you have an Rb25DE though.

Edited by gunmetalgrey

Yeah some did mention it could be the cat converter was probably stuffed how much are they to get replaced ruffly i heard it was pretty expensie??

Im not sure which engine i have in mine all i know that at the moment for a V6 it goes like ass...it wasnt like that when i first purchased it thought has just got progressively worse.

You have a straight 6 not a V6. Instead of possibly wasting money on a cat just drop your exhaust off before the cat and go for a drive to see if that is the issue. I would also suggest a full service and some decent fuel if your not using it.

nah mine is the different engine i think. i dont think its the RB20DE (photo's of my engine bay attached)

Im going to have a play with my cat converter this weekend have a stock one a spare stock one at home i picked up this week hope that sorts it out.

post-33553-1231398656_thumb.jpg

post-33553-1231398725_thumb.jpg

I put a pod filter on my 34 - my car's exactly the same as yours Beemer, and I noticed an increase in smoothness and response. A couple of things you have to remember are that the stock pee-shooter muffler is more restrictive than a cannon, and also the ECU in these cars is an "intuitive" computer, in that it learns your driving habits.

In other words, if the previous owner spent most of the time gunning it around from the lights, then it's going to be used to doing that and not getting driven nicely, so give it a bit of time to learn your habits. If you plan on doing a turbo conversion then you don't really need to stress too much, as most aftermarkt ECUs - from my limited experience - aren't intuitive or "self-learning", you just program them and off you go.

If however you aren't going to convert to a snail, then I'd say get some extractors for it and whack that cannon back on to improve flow a bit more. I have a stock air-box that I've replaced with a pod myself recently...Not sure if it's wise to sell it though...I'll let you know.

Yeah TMG if your gonna let go of that stock box let me know..

I would whack the cannon back on but its too bloody loud im over my "rice" days and prefer a quite exhaust lol. Was looking at getting some extractors and decently priced one's anybody could recommend?