SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Bonnets styles doing the rounds in Aust/NSW

I got mine from UAS.It weighs about 10kg less than standard.the vents help under bonnet temps.Its not full CF but it looks rice nice saves me weight and heat.Plus i dont get stone chips.Driven it in rain through car washes ect and had no prob with water causing faults.Been pulled over by the cops in vic a few times and havnt been questioned on bonnet at all.Heres a pic of it

The only thing I would say about vents is that they MAY allow ingress of water if you run open coils (ie. minus the "Nissan Twin Cam 24 Valve" cover).

I realise that this is popular for people with older coils or Splitfire D1's. Water and coils do not mix.

For me a carbon bonnet is coming. I sorta put myself in a situation where I need one so I'll see how this goes.

T.

if you dont get the one with the air vent for the filter eg. series one bonnet, the no water will ge to the filter!! and if you do have the series 2 bonnet most cai will no thave opening on top to allow water to access the filter!!!

if i had the money i would get one asap, as well as the CF boot from Rezz!!!!

I got my bodykit being sprayed and fitted over the next 3 wks which has the cf wing blade. I think the cf bonnet would compliment it nicely although I need some 18's badddly.

The difference is materials, quality and price.

Some of the 100,000+ yen Carbon bonnets on sale in Japan are a full carbon fibre bonnet panel, with an FRP skeleton frame underneath, meaning that when you open the bonnet, you can see carbon fibre weaving underneath. Legitimate 6-8kg bizness.

But most of them are an FRP "under panel/frame", with a carbon fibre "top panel". Cheap, look good, and do the job.

We lay carbon fiber for the body, wings, farings etc at uni, and its good but not as strong as you might think.

Carbon fiber is strong to a degree, but its very brittle.

It is highly illegal to have it on your car, as you know both fibreglass and carbon fiber shatters on impact, and its quite possible that the carbon fiber can snap in the middle and shear off into the windscreen, or break at the hinges and come into the windscreen. I wouldnt want to rearend someone with a *RP bonnet.

have a look at www.wreckedexotics.com for some really farked up accidents involving mainly italian exotic cars and a few 300zx/imports etc. Visualise what a *RP bonnet would do in the same crash.

Ricers argue that its good for weight saving, well i say run with 10 litres less petrol and you got your weight saving for nothing.

Good for venting underbonnet air no doubt, but i think some funky ducting in and out of the engine bay might do just as good. You could even run a small thermo fan with some ducts and have it comming out the underbody on the non exhuast side.

Its a show thing, but it comes at a high price, both in money and defect/accident hazard.

We lay carbon fiber for the body, wings, farings etc at uni, and its good but not as strong as you might think.

Carbon fiber is strong to a degree, but its very brittle.

It is highly illegal to have it on your car, as you know both fibreglass and carbon fiber shatters on impact, and its quite possible that the carbon fiber can snap in the middle and shear off into the windscreen, or break at the hinges and come into the windscreen. I wouldnt want to rearend someone with a *RP bonnet.

have a look at www.wreckedexotics.com for some really farked up accidents involving mainly italian exotic cars and a few 300zx/imports etc. Visualise what a *RP bonnet would do in the same crash.

Ricers argue that its good for weight saving, well i say run with 10 litres less petrol and you got your weight saving for nothing.

Good for venting underbonnet air no doubt, but i think some funky ducting in and out of the engine bay might do just as good. You could even run a small thermo fan with some ducts and have it comming out the underbody on the non exhuast side.

Its a show thing, but it comes at a high price, both in money and defect/accident hazard.

BTW, wtf is that "see a zed drift" thing on the UAS website.... thats not a drift, try dumping the clutch after the apex and smashing your deep dish rim in the gutter. farking retard!

Originally posted by MattyB

cf boot from rezz ?  wtf. i want one. as well as matching doors. mmmmm

Unfortunantly, you`d be looking at $1850 PER DOOR:headspin:, and $1250 for the Bootlid. But I can assure you, those doors are 6.0kg 100% Carbon Fibre...

• 3 weeks later...