SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Bonnets styles doing the rounds in Aust/NSW

Guys im going to buy one soon and curious about them ,is their one particular style doing the rounds and are they full carbon fibre? is there any differences between the UAS and The Advan ones . anybody buy theirs from either 2 shops that can shed some light on this for me ?

cheers :P

from what i remember uas buy there bonnets from carmate.

i have one and althou they are good, they are only 1 layer of carbon and the rest glass,

i had somebody jump on mine being a drunken dick head and it cracked right throu.

don`t get me wrong they are good bonnets fro the price, but it is hard to find full carbon bonnets,

i have a s 1 R33 and only one style of bonnet fits mine but if u have a s2 i think there are 2 styles.

i have been pulled over with the cops asking about it(they are not legal due to the fact that they go throu the windscreen on a big impact) i just told the cop that is was a fibre glass bonnet with a carbon cover.

i got mine from uas as i said and it cost me about $1100 fitted and takes around 15mins to fit. just have a way to get ur old bonnet home.

that was a hard one because they do not really fit in the front seat....lol

In Japan, "Carbon Fibre" Vented bonnets start at around A$1700.

But even then, they have an FRP frame. For the street, these ones seem to be the best compromise... they`ve got more carbon fibre than the Carmate ones, yet are cheap enough for the younger guys to get a hold of (not implying $1700 is cheap though!).

Just as a comparison, a REAL full-carbon fibre bonnet from Attkd...

bonnet3.jpg

... that weighs a genuine 3.5kg`s, will set you back A$4430. I guess you could say a full-carbon fibre bonnet was for racing use only, or really rich show ponies...

Originally posted by T0nyGTSt

I would actually prefer a plain flat carbon bonnet instead of a ricey vented one.

If I ever got a carbon bonnet it would be this

The only thing stopping me is the legality of it all and also if I was ever in an accident.

Ouch $4.5k for the real thing? I sure as hell wouldn't take that to a race, bonnet is 2nd most likely after guards to be "remodelled", would make it an expensicve weekend out! No wonder they dont paint them, can't afford the paint after paying for the bonnet.

question is, how much difference does the venting make?

not only do they look great, but if they actually made a large difference to underbonnet temps and radiator flow, they could end up saving you money???

anyone done any tests with these, or got one and noticed lower engine temps etc?