SAU Community

Crank Collar Fitting

I am doing an RB30 engine build and want to fit a crank collar. but also a little unsure about it.. from what I have read it is held on by a combination of inteference fit and grub scews.. I am very worried about the grub screw coming loose or shearing and the drive slipping.. has this ever happened? I read there is some kind of welding option. Is this welding on the collar or welding extra metal back on the end of the crank to machine down and create an extended drive..

Please can someone confirm or put my mind at rest before I proceed!

Cheers

Lee

I use interferance fit, smother it in loctite when putting it on (fun when the drive is 140deg and crank is -30) and use two 6X20mm grub's one on each side, i tighten them in and then cut off the protruding part and very carfully file it so its 100% flush with the drive and the whole for the allen key is no longer there, makes it hard to see!

I have done about 30rb cranks like this with out a single problem, dont worry about the grub's coming out because the pump drive would never let them turn out,, on 4 of the motors ive done freash's on at 50k km's they all look 100% like the day I did them.

Edited by Rezlo