SAU Community

Show Me Your Number Plate Bracket Mod

Has anyone come up with a half decent modification to mount front plates so that that god awful bracket isn't so obvious?

On a white car it really blows but when I take it off the are 7 holes in the bumper including one big one which is often plugged in American ones!

Cheers

Geoff

Has anyone come up with a half decent modification to mount front plates so that that god awful bracket isn't so obvious?

On a white car it really blows but when I take it off the are 7 holes in the bumper including one big one which is often plugged in American ones!

Cheers

Geoff

Yeah!...agreed!

I tried to figure something out for my front...(unsuccessfully).....

I'm getting both front and rear bumpers resprayed next week, might talk to the painter, see if he can't modify something prior to paint.

I am pretty happy with what I did to the rear...by way of getting rid of the farken shit piece of metal contraption number plate holder!....I supplied a pic (I know we're talkin' fronts....just thought I'd jump in!)

I'll let you know what I come up with for the front....(if you'd like?)

Cheers!

post-9261-1232930665_thumb.jpg

Yeah!...agreed!

I'm getting both front and rear bumpers resprayed next week, might talk to the painter, see if he can't modify something prior to paint.

I am pretty happy with what I did to the rear...by way of getting rid of the farken shit piece of metal contraption number plate holder!....I supplied a pic (I know we're talkin' fronts....just thought I'd jump in!)

I'll let you know what I come up with for the front....(if you'd like?)

Cheers!

Get a flat plate (strip) of alloy or steel, just as wide as the licence plate and drill 2 holes (centred) so they pick up on the original licence plated pick-ups on the bumper.

Then drill the holes through the same strip of material, so that they pick up on the Licence Plate holes, you can lift the plate a little or a lot, to get it vertically central on the bumper too.

Add a spacer between the licence plate and the material, this will allow you clearance between the strip and it's original bolt heads that attach it to the car (may need a bolt a bit longer - same as spacer height).

Add a spacer between the car and the material, this will allow you to slip some auto 'clip nuts' over the material that you can use to attach the licence plate to this material.

I have done this on my R33 on both ends of it.

A perfectly central front, which sits only about 10mm off the front of the bumper, you can not tell.

And a full standard licence plate that sits (with clearance) in the rear slot. Yes, I also cut those ugly Jap style extensions on the rear mount.

It works well and I am sure that all of you could do it...

Edited by Stephen Thorpe

Yes, I also cut those ugly Jap style extensions on the rear mount.

Ok..cool...I'll look into this method.

But, as far as the rear is concerned, I didn't merely cut off the plate holder 'legs'...I took the whole POS off and directly mounted the plate to the bumper, utilising a 10mm spacer kit for the number plate protectors.

That plastic is quite thick, and holds the screws very well.

(as far as some MF taking the plate, I've left a little surpise for them, should they try to take them)....I learnt this from that 'sect', a while back...(remember them?)...lol! :D

I'm thinking that I will do the same fo the front (with a nut a 'blind bolt')...while it's at the panel shop.

I want the plate to be 'flush', looks neater.

Cheers.

Get a flat plate (strip) of alloy or steel, just as wide as the licence plate and drill 2 holes (centred) so they pick up on the original licence plated pick-ups on the bumper.

Then drill the holes through the same strip of material, so that they pick up on the Licence Plate holes, you can lift the plate a little or a lot, to get it vertically central on the bumper too.

Add a spacer between the licence plate and the material, this will allow you clearance between the strip and it's original bolt heads that attach it to the car (may need a bolt a bit longer - same as spacer height).

Add a spacer between the car and the material, this will allow you to slip some auto 'clip nuts' over the material that you can use to attach the licence plate to this material.

I have done this on my R33 on both ends of it.

A perfectly central front, which sits only about 10mm off the front of the bumper, you can not tell.

And a full standard licence plate that sits (with clearance) in the rear slot. Yes, I also cut those ugly Jap style extensions on the rear mount.

It works well and I am sure that all of you could do it...

Thanks for that. Do you have a pic?

Cheers

Geoff

Any half decent smashie should be able to clean it up and smooth it out for you.

I went from this:

my350z_20051009_matteblacklip_01.jpg

to taking that black POS the f**k off my car, which lead to these nostrils:

my350z_20060310_gste37_03.jpg

to after damaging my front bar and needing it repaired / repainted, which is where I am now:

20070921_my350z_nightshots_04.jpg

As you can see, I had the horribly large indented Nissan badge taken off and the hole filled in as well.

Edited by scathing

Ok..cool...I'll look into this method.

But, as far as the rear is concerned, I didn't merely cut off the plate holder 'legs'...I took the whole POS off and directly mounted the plate to the bumper, utilising a 10mm spacer kit for the number plate protectors.

That plastic is quite thick, and holds the screws very well.

(as far as some MF taking the plate, I've left a little surpise for them, should they try to take them)....I learnt this from that 'sect', a while back...(remember them?)...lol! :)

I'm thinking that I will do the same fo the front (with a nut a 'blind bolt')...while it's at the panel shop.

I want the plate to be 'flush', looks neater.

Cheers.

Actually, from memory, (it was 9 years ago) I didn't cut the rear plate holder, I removed it completly and mounted my strip to the original holes in the Bumper.

Might be wrong tho and sorry, I don't have any pictures, however I can take some this weekend if anyone is interested.

The filling of the original holes and installing blind bolts is a great idea, but one you will (probably) need a spray painter for.

Actually, from memory, (it was 9 years ago) I didn't cut the rear plate holder, I removed it completly and mounted my strip to the original holes in the Bumper.

Might be wrong tho and sorry, I don't have any pictures, however I can take some this weekend if anyone is interested.

The filling of the original holes and installing blind bolts is a great idea, but one you will (probably) need a spray painter for.

spray painter?....well I'm in luck then.