SAU Community

Fuel gauge showing full

Hey guys

My fuel gauge was working correctly yesterday, but today it is now showing full all the time???

All fuses seem to be fine, my speedo/tach etc is all aok, just the fuel gauge. Any ideas?

Could it be electrical or mechanical?

Ahhh damn Tis always the case,

Guess I will look at it when I get time

Cheers,

Tim

Guest | hype^ |

yeh this happened to me the other night..

i went 150 k's and it was still above the full line. :lol:

i was like.. nice fuel consumption, then hey this cant be right..

:P

i just gave the top of the dash a few lil taps, it seemed ti straighten it out..

Hehe thats the solution in 90%of cases.

Give it a good whack!!!:uh-huh:

If ure monitor squeels, Give it a good whack!!!:uh-huh:

If ure dog wont stop barking, Give it a good whack!!!:uh-huh: j/k

haha thats the problem i have had since i got my car

after dyno day it worked, but then it dropped rreally quickly instead of staying full most of the time, now its back to its old ways

Hmmm not happy Jan.

Well I gave it a good old fashioned slapping but to no avail.

Could it be the sender thingymabob in the fuel tank as opposed to my gauge, E.I. my gauge works fine but it getting an incorrect signal?

Damn this sucks, haven't had the car long enough to properly work out my milage, so now I fill up every half tank. Oh well could be worst. I could own a dunnydore.

**Proceeds to beat the life out of some poor helpless student at work :whip: **

Ok I feel better now.

So does anyone have anymore suggestions, what causes it etc?

Thanks,

Tim

I have a similar problem with my R32. The gauge can't make up its mind how much fuel is in the tank.

I'm beginning to wonder if its something to do with voltage. Older cars, at least, had a voltage regulator on the gauge circuit, do these modern beasts have the same setup? It could be a faulty one of those.

May very well be.

I have had a little play this morning and my thoughts were that the gauge may well be fine, but something else is causing a wrong voltage or whatever to the gauge. The fact that it is forced into the highest position, and not dropping down seems to be a wrong voltage.

Maybe the wire is stripped and shorting somewhere in the car?

Also how does the fuel system measure the level in a Skyline, is it a spring hooked up to a float (like a Gemini for example) that regulates the voltage, or is it a little more refined?

Also on a side note, how much noise should fuel pumps make? Mine seems to make a bit of a whine when I first turn the ignition on. Barely noticable, but Ihvae heard it on occasion. Is my pump on the way out?

Cheers,

Tim

The fuel gauge in a skyline is such that it holds its possition even after power is removed, eg u got half a tank and turn off the key and the gauge holds that possition.

Did the gauge die on a full tank? if it did its possible that its getting no power remove the dash starting at the gearstick and check the plugs are connected at the back of the dash (Possible not pluged back in propper when the speedo was flicked).

To test the gauge get into the boot and remove that cover that hides the battery, opp the batt theres a plate bolted down by 4 10mm head bolts remove these under you will find the plug to the fuel pump and gauge sender remove/clean this plug's check the gauge,

if no go remove the plug and turn on ign the gauge should drop to E.

let me know how ya go thus far and I will advise again.

DAMQIK

oh neally forgot a noisy pump can be caused by many things

*blocked fuel lines/filter

*kinked hoses

*bad connections (electrical) to pump ((read low voltage))

*worn bearings

*worn rollers

*sucking air inside or outside of the tank

*blocked strainer at bottom of tank

possible causes car run low on fuel too often

crap fuel

could try fuel cleaner (not octain booster)

wailst checking gauge sender you could check pump and strainer @ same time.

DAMQIK

sounds funny that it stays on FULL....

cuz if the fuel sensor is dislodged then it would read FULL on half of the tank... then Drop suddenly to Empty (not gradule).

all I can say is that Get your self machanic tool then Open up the Fuel tank, Trust me it's not that difficult... exapt doint 1st time would be bit hard...

My guess is the clip that hold the sensor is out of alignments... and if so that's easy to fix if you do it your self....

ps.once you open up the fuel tank you will relise that there are a lots of electrical cables around, on , inside of the tank....

cheers

Joe :)

The fuel gauge was working, showing about 3/4 full, then as I was driving along it rose to full. I was driving along a flat road at about 80km/h.

It may well be a connection at the back of the dash, however I don't have the time until the weekend to really have a good play.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

**I checked those plugs under the plate in the boot - the plugs were clean but I gave them a good blow and tap anyway. With the plugs off the gauge went to zero, after the clean with the plugs back on it went back up to full. Looks like it could be that fuel sender clip.

PVA_Glue, care to give some slightly more detailed instructions on where/what the clip looks like (Besides a clip in the fuel tank :) )**

Tim

I was referring to the clip inside the fuel tank...

to get to it

open the rear fuel tank from the boot...

make sure disconnect all the horse and clamp them so fuel doesnt rush out ( :cool:)

then matter of putting your hands in there and putting fuel sensor Bar into the right place (if just clicks on)...

I had to do this 3 times cuz it keep fall off every time I take around the corners and ****....etc...etc.

cheers

Joe

heres the soution to this problem

the fuel guage in the tank is a float type

it falls off itsmounting bracket quite easily i found when mine did this

all i had to do ti fix this is to open the fuel tank from the boot ant reposition the guage

heres how to fix this

but before you do this its an idea to have an almost empty tank of fuel and to remove the battery completely to avoid sparks as you will be opening the fuel tank

step1: unscrew metal plate in boot on right hand side beside the strut tower

step2 : unclip all wires leading into fueal tank but leave hoses attached (no need to remove them)

step3 : unscrew the big plastic cap on the fuel tank be sure not to drop the rubber sealing ring into tank (plastic cap may need some gentle ppressure to move)

step 3 : reach into bottom of fuel tank and fing your guage

step 4 : just down and a little to the right of the fuel tank opening on the front wall is where the bracket is

bend the clip the guage sits on a little to ensure it dosent fall off again

step 5 :make sure all wires are atached to guage and clip into place and also make syre you cant unclip it ( i used some large zip ties to secure inplace to make sure it dosent come off again)

step 6 : close fuel tank re attatch all wires and put cover plate back on make sure tank is sealed and that you can no longer smell fuel vapours in the boot before re installing the battery.

step 7 : stat her up and go to the servo fill up about 20 - 30 litres and make sure guage works

all should be good now

DISCLAIMER : !!!!

i only recommend tat people who are profesional mechanics or who love to exploe themselves and their car to do this job

you will inhale a lot of fuel vapours doing this and the smallest spark will blow you and your car up so be carefull

• 6 months later...

my gauge was half full then suddenly went empty, then went up back to half full. i know it wasnt low on fuel as i judge on kms travelled. i got a quote over fone from a mechanic sayin it would take 2 hrs to fix ie $180. wat the.