SAU Community

Stock Gtr Seats For Track Work

SS8_Gohan

Hi guys,

thought i'd pop in here and ask the guru's.

Looking at upgrading seats, and was thinking instead of dropping big dollars on bride/recaro, etc... would stock 32/33 GTR seats cope with casual track work? I'd probably go say 3-4 times a year, at most say half a dozen times. Motorkhana, instructed track days, SAU Vic days, nothing door-to-door, etc...

i'm thinking of completely re-doing my interior as well, and the stock GTT seats aren't really the shape i was envisaging in a redone interior. And was wondering whether say leather re-trimmed stock 32/33 GTR seats would be up to the task off keeping me in my seat on tracks days?

if i was retrimming, could i also like fatten up the side bolsters a bit?

R34 GTR seats definitely look up to the task, but even second hand they are $$$, but if the 32/33 do the job, then that'll be fine. Doesn't seem to be much difference between the 32 and 33 GTR seats?

cheers,

daniel

The 32/33 seats would be ok but by the time you get them re trimmed in leather wouldn't it be easier to just buy some 34 seats or some OMP/Recaro/Sparco/Velo recliners or second hand Brides. I have a 32 but I will be changing mine out for more support when I can get around to it..I think the drivers side is on the way out. >_<

i was thinking if i can find some banged up 32 seats for say $400-$500, it wouldn't matter because i'm retrimming, because i think i'd be tempted even if i got an aftermarket item, to keep the continuity of the interior, so i'd retrim the after-market seats as well, if you catch my drift.

i mean, if i got brides or what not, i'd keep logo's >_< but would most likely retrim in leather or alcantra so the interior looks factory.

and is there actually any difference (besides stitching) between the 32 and 33 GTR seats?

I didnt like doing track work in teh standard GTR seats..Found I moved around to much with teh G forces ;) If you had a harness aswell as standard seats wouldnt be as bad..I found the standard seats break after a few decent trackdays too.. :P

I just brought a "cheaper" grade of bucket seat one that was deep for my bum to sit in so I couldnt move around at all. :P

Yeah std GTR seats aren't much chop. The frame is too flexible, not enough support, and it's just easy to go faster when you're not trying to push yourself back into the seat with your left leg.

If you're planning on re-trimming, there's a bunch of better reclining seats available.

Yeah std GTR seats aren't much chop. The frame is too flexible, not enough support, and it's just easy to go faster when you're not trying to push yourself back into the seat with your left leg.

If you're planning on re-trimming, there's a bunch of better reclining seats available.

really?? hmmm... even if the track work i'm talking about is not even close to what someone like yourself does? i kinda just punt around, i don't drive at 10/10ths -

the thing is though, if i'm re-trimming, my logic is i may as well start with the cheapest that'll do the job, as opposed to what... at least $1k for more race style seats? and THEN re-trim on top... i figure get some cheapo trashed GTR seats and then re-trim.

dunno really... what would you suggest instead over the GTR seats?

Sure plenty of people use the GTR seats mate, I'm just highlighting the fact that they do move around quite a bit, and the frames can and do break. They are repairable though if that happens.

If you don't run on R compound tyres they would probably suffice for the few days you do a year, but note you would more than likely be faster if you had a better seat.

Your idea of getting a trashed set and retrimming, with the possibility of some extra bolstering holds water, especially as they are a bolt in fitment....... otherwise I'd search around for some second hand bride/Cobra/whatevers........

Retrim whatever seats you have and use for daily driving but buy a really good Recaro/other brand bucket seat and just bolt it in for the trackdays.

really?? hmmm... even if the track work i'm talking about is not even close to what someone like yourself does? i kinda just punt around, i don't drive at 10/10ths -

the thing is though, if i'm re-trimming, my logic is i may as well start with the cheapest that'll do the job, as opposed to what... at least $1k for more race style seats? and THEN re-trim on top... i figure get some cheapo trashed GTR seats and then re-trim.

dunno really... what would you suggest instead over the GTR seats?

I never did really quick times in my GTR either but even doing that the difference between a stock seat and bucket seat you will be amazed..I had to do the bracing with my leg leg thing in the car!

If you going to do a stock seat maybe try and use a harness with it..Not sure if it will work with the stock seat but will be loads better than just a normal seat belt holding you in!

I'm with bemn. If you like the look of factory 32/33 seats re-trimmed then do that and get a proper bucket race seat and harness for when you do track days. My first couple of track days were done in the standard seat and belt and I spent most of the time with my left foot planted on the foot rest trying to hold myself back in the seat. You'd be surprised at the amount of confidence you get with a good seat and harness holding you in and not worrying about sliding about. I've got a seat and harness that I use for the track and then put the standard back in when I'm done.

Also you can't use a harness properly in standard 32/33 seats as there is only one hole in the middle of the head rest as opposed to two above the shoulders like in 34/race seats.

I agree with Marlin and Sinful's first posts. Did about 10track days last year and found that the standard GT-R seats lacked support and I was bracing myself a lot more through corners etc to cope with the movement. Will be fitting a proper fixed back race seat and harness soon.

When I started tracking a car it was a 33 gtst with the std seat and seatbelt and normal road rubber....needless to say I spent most of my time forcing myself to stay behind the wheel. I then upgraded to a gtr and tracked that with the std seat/seatbelt and R comp tyres.....it was 10 times better than the gtst seat however there were corners where my driving suffered due to the work required to stay centred to the steering wheel. So then I fitted a harness and all those problems went away which meant I could concentrate on driving the car rather than staying in the seat.

The only issue I had with the std R33 GTR seat and my harness was the fact I fitted a 3" wide harness. This is a little wide for the gap in the seat and meant that the harness was cutting into my neck - no biggy.