SAU Community

Question For Skyline V35 Track Owners

rs73

yeh, but in all my exp of driving, the only time i ever got a "TEAR" in a tyre, is when i was doing 190km/h down con-rod straight @ bathurst in my mates hyundai lantra and the rear left tyre blew......

well....I hope I haven't cursed you then!

I have 'torn' 2 tyres over my driving life, and I'm glad I've had a spare, being where I was when it (they) happened.

I just don't see the point in driving around without a proper 'functional and Road Worthy' spare.....I'm sure it's illegal too!

A Lantra at 190?...I'm sure that felt like a Luna-Park ride?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've already pulled out my spare and tools and whatnot but dunno if it's affected weight dist as i haven't driven the car yet.

It does.

At a supersprint I was required to remove my space saver, and I found my car a lot more taily as a result. Not in a fun way either.

At Wakefield I tried running with it off on a damp track, but after several big spins I put it back in.

When I remove my spare and fit the tyre weld / pump, I'll need to think of some other ballast to add to the back.

It does.

At a supersprint I was required to remove my space saver, and I found my car a lot more taily as a result. Not in a fun way either.

At Wakefield I tried running with it off on a damp track, but after several big spins I put it back in.

When I remove my spare and fit the tyre weld / pump, I'll need to think of some other ballast to add to the back.

Hey Scathing,

Yeah i thought it might've...well knew...just don't know yet as to whether i'll like it or not. My previous two cars also ran an empty boot but they were both FWD so it wasn't much of a deal however i know the V35 has a 52:48 weight dist and was designed to be neautralish while on power so removing the spare and tools would upset it..

It's been raining so much my V still hasn't left the garage, and i just put on a set of swaybars too! :wave: Might take her for a spin tonight if it dries up and see how it is.. if i don't like the new feeling, i'm just gonna put the spare and tools back in...yay! A rear only wheel spare o.0

Thanks Scathing.

less weight at the back, less downforce, rear tyre lift and swing around as not much traction... sounds like it.

if you track your car a lot perhaps try adjustible rear spoiler on the boot to generate a bit more downforce.

A carbon GT wing would look so out of place on a V35 unfortunately lol.

I dunno, it might be ok for my car as at the moment, my tires are creating too much grip for the stock springs/shocks to handle, the swaybars have helped but it's still very snap happy. I'll try and drive it later.

Subwoofer :D

I've got a 10" shallow sub sitting behind the driver's seat. When I replace the sub, I'll install a proper sized one into the factory location. Its power amp will go in the boot somewhere, though.

That said, if I get a custom enclosure for a sub to go into the spare tyre well I could convert the existing sub box into a second glove box. My car doesn't have much storage space, so that could be a good idea.

I'm just not sure how well the rear mounted sub will work for my application. I carry stuff in my boot all the time and I want to retain the OEM "floor board" (that sits over the spare) and keep the same amount of space. How muffled is the sub going to be with all my shit on it?

Yeah i thought it might've...well knew...just don't know yet as to whether i'll like it or not. My previous two cars also ran an empty boot but they were both FWD so it wasn't much of a deal however i know the V35 has a 52:48 weight dist and was designed to be neautralish while on power so removing the spare and tools would upset it..

How long have you been tracking the V35 for? If its not long, you could probably drive / setup around it.

I had the Z for a good 3 years before I took the spare out on track days (I only ever removed it on my first track day prior to the mentioned incidents). I found the Z quite understeery stock, and I doubt the V is much better. Maybe shifting the weight forward would be a good thing.

My sway bars and coilovers are configured accordingly. Dropping a shedload of weight from the rear and chasing a new PB on a damp track after expecting a certain balance is probably what caused the majority of my issues. All my spinouts were during trail braking, usually when clipping a ripple strip (most notably trying to hit the higher level of the 2 step ripple strip at the left-hand Turn 3 on the old Wakefield surface), and a failed attempt to powerslide out of it. It wasn't a case of having traction on the way in and stepping out the tail under power.

I found similar issues when doing the same thing with the spare in, but only on 1/3 of a tank of fuel. Putting the ballast back in fixed it for me in both cases, but it could be my lack of skill.

It's been raining so much my V still hasn't left the garage

Sounds like a perfect time to go do some skids and test out the balance of the car.

On a private road, of course.

Edited by scathing

That said, if I get a custom enclosure for a sub to go into the spare tyre well I could convert the existing sub box into a second glove box. My car doesn't have much storage space, so that could be a good idea.

I'm just not sure how well the rear mounted sub will work for my application. I carry stuff in my boot all the time and I want to retain the OEM "floor board" (that sits over the spare) and keep the same amount of space. How muffled is the sub going to be with all my shit on it?

You can't lay gear on top of a sub for obvious reasons but as frequencies below 250Hz are somewhat omni-directional, provided you have "space" between that gear and the sub face then you should be able to hear it quite well. Having said that I'd consider a different layout eg:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...llow-diyer.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...-g35-coupe.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...e-buildlog.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-...th-install.html

Edited by mosoto

Yeah, didn't think so.

My current plan is to drop a 10" sub into the 350Z's factory location (behind the driver's seat). In the spare tyre well I'll put the amp for the sub, 2 cans of tyre weld, an electric tyre pump, a tow rope and jumper leads, and probably a 2kg extinguisher.

I'll probably leave the scissor jack in there just in case.

less weight at the back, less downforce, rear tyre lift and swing around as not much traction... sounds like it.

if you track your car a lot perhaps try adjustible rear spoiler on the boot to generate a bit more downforce.

I doubt that you will get much downforce at legal speeds... but on a fast track you would probably need a wind tunnel to prove it.

It is a fairly exact science.

Tyres and Pressures would be easier to deal with as a change.

If you have coil overs, camber kits or adjustable Sway bars that will help more too.

just take the spare tyre out and keep a can of tyre weld in the boot.

saves weight and does the trick :D

enough to get you to a tyre shop for a puncture repair

As long as the tyre weld works... it won't fix sidewall damage, although neither will a repair at the tyre shop!

It's a hassle, yes..

But unless you plan on doing a 'Le Mans' type run with a spare tyre attached, then no problem.

Don't worry about steering balance!...you'd just get to a tyre shop asap!!!..(wouldn't you?)

At the side of the road, there is lots of back and forth movements to do to achieve the desired result, moving jacks and stuffing around.

Front Tyre flat,

Spare out and put on rear,

take front off and put the old rear on the front,

then find a spot to place the full sized assembly that is flat.

Is this only a Pain in the arse for a flat front and if you have brembo's?

Surely, there is another option with a larger space saver? Get the Grinder out!!

yeh, but in all my exp of driving, the only time i ever got a "TEAR" in a tyre, is when i was doing 190km/h down con-rod straight @ bathurst in my mates hyundai lantra and the rear left tyre blew......

The first Jet assisted Hyundai Lantra i'd reckon...

didn't know that above Conrad Straight is a vertical cliff!

:D

At the side of the road, there is lots of back and forth movements to do to achieve the desired result, moving jacks and stuffing around.

Front Tyre flat,

Spare out and put on rear,

take front off and put the old rear on the front,

then find a spot to place the full sized assembly that is flat.

Is this only a Pain in the arse for a flat front and if you have brembo's?

Surely, there is another option with a larger space saver? Get the Grinder out!!

If it's a buggered tyre wall it'll be an RAC flat bed to your nearest tyre shop. Free within 50Km isn't it?

http://blogs.drive.com.au/2008/10/the_end_..._tyre_is_a.html

an interesting read

Edited by mosoto

Oh my, I looked away for a while and this has gone off to become a downforce / load balancing topic :-O

You snooze you loose...

Subs in the spare wheel well would be fine if you put a grill over the speaker (firing up), fine open weave material over the grill and a trim panel (3mm Masonite) around the grill, replacing the original boot 'board'.

Doubt you should put a suitcase on the grill though.

I would have a go at doing it if there wasn't another option... rattles are the biggest problem though.

Now it is a car audio thread... oh how we digress. Sorry!

Edited by Stephen Thorpe