SAU Community

Very annoying squeeky noise

azazel61

Ok there was this really annoying squeek coming from the rear left hand side of my skyline, turned out it was the shock absorber so I had it replaced and the squeek went away. Now a couple weeks later the squeek has magically returned! So WTF?? How can it still be there?? How can a brand new shock absorber just start squeeking for no reason? Does anyone know what might be causing this?? It's soooooooooooooo annoying, every time I go over a bump in the road I can hear it :D

hi, are you sure its at the rear?

on the 32's at the front the top horizontal suspension arm(about 25cm long that comes from inner guard to top suspension link) can squeak like crazy when they get worn. The sound used to come and go on mine until I replaced them, now its gone for good.

If noise is at rear it could just be a rubber mount or bush, is the noise constant or dcoming and going like after driving thru water?

P.s. I've had to replace a new shock before, after it had only done 5000kms, so u may have a faulty one. Mine let go of all the oil and it sounded like a jack hammer when you drove it.

You can lubricate the upper arms on the front, although to replace them is a more permanent fix. (they also tend to get a fair amount of play/slack in these bushes after awhile) Its also a wise choice to look into adjustables too at the same time so that camber can be adjusted on the front.

The squeek from the rear IMO might be the D bushes on the sway/stabilizer bar on the rear, try lubricating them, other than that it could be a loose bolt on a capsulated rubber bush, allowing the pipe to move and squeek, the bush in question might even be the one on the base of the strut, so check the bolts.

Edit: use rubber grease on the D bushes.

MEGA

Originally posted by gts4diehard

hi, are you sure its at the rear?

on the 32's at the front the top horizontal suspension arm(about 25cm long that comes from inner guard to top suspension link) can squeak like crazy when they get worn. The sound used to come and go on mine until I replaced them, now its gone for good.

If noise is at rear it could just be a rubber mount or bush, is the noise constant or dcoming and going like after driving thru water?

P.s. I've had to replace a new shock before, after it had only done 5000kms, so u may have a faulty one. Mine let go of all the oil and it sounded like a jack hammer when you drove it.

It's definitely at the rear. It does come and go though, not like before where it was constant.

I took the car back to where I got the shocker done to show them the noise but it decided to be quiet and so made me look stupid. Then when I got home it was doing it again, car hates me I think :(

I'm unsure as I'm the first aussie owner and have no history of the car in japan, the driver side door looks as though it may have been replaced so the car could have been in an accident.

Is there somewhere on the net you can lookup your cars engine no. or something to see if there's any history on it?

Originally posted by MegaGTS4

You can lubricate the upper arms on the front, although to replace them is a more permanent fix. (they also tend to get a fair amount of play/slack in these bushes after awhile) Its also a wise choice to look into adjustables too at the same time so that camber can be adjusted on the front.

The squeek from the rear IMO might be the D bushes on the sway/stabilizer bar on the rear, try lubricating them, other than that it could be a loose bolt on a capsulated rubber bush, allowing the pipe to move and squeek, the bush in question might even be the one on the base of the strut, so check the bolts.

Edit: use rubber grease on the D bushes.

MEGA

thanks, I'm getting it checked out next week so hopefully it gets fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

what i figure, and what i experienced with my r33 is that often, possibly your old shocks or whatever holds anything back there, has a screw/bolt that has all the teeth eaten out of it already and was squeeking or knocking within itself.

you changed the shocks and therefore the mechanic took apart all that was there and put in the new one plus bolted everything in tightly.

but, seeing yr screw/bolt has no or meesssed up and little teeth left, it slowly began to loosen itself and hence your magically reappearing squeeks.

just IMHO i guess and by experience..

;)