SAU Community

Problems With Keyless Entry Remote

i'm having the worse luck with my V since i've had it

only had it for less than 6 months and the radiator fans have karked it and now i'm having problems with my remote to unlock the doors. mine's a 2005 model and the remote has 3 bottons; lock, unlock and boot release.

i've got 2 of these remotes and the car isn't responding to either of them. just a few days ago it was still responding occassionally as i'd walk around the car pressing the unlock button like a mad man. but as of yesterday it's not responding full stop.

i can still lock/unlock the car when i push the button locks on the door lock but the remote itself won't lock/unlock anything.

can anyone offer any advice?

please don't tell me that i need to replace the door lock motor

+2 on that opinion.. i was having the same problem on my 2 spare keys when i got the car... went to jaycar for the batteries and tada.. problem fixed.. anyway good luck, hope it fixes your problem.

When u start the car, does the "KEY" light on the dash flash green? If it does, its warning u, ur remote battery needs replacing. Happened to me few weeks ago. Replaced batteries, problem solved...no more KEY light flashing in green.

I too have a 2nd keyless remote and i haven't used it in more than 6 mths and the battery is dead on that one so its not unusual, ur 2nd one is flat too.

1 of my remotes is hardly ever used so for both remotes to have flat batteries will be very coincidental.

anyway i'll have a look at it tonight and i'm hoping that's all it is.

cheers

Hi Bzkr,

it's not coincidental...batteries of all types have a very normal and natural 'self discharge rate', and a very definite 'shelf'/nominal use "use-by-date".

I'm betting (and hoping!), that the guy's above are on the money!

Let us know how you get on!!

Cheers.

When u start the car, does the "KEY" light on the dash flash green? If it does, its warning u, ur remote battery needs replacing. Happened to me few weeks ago. Replaced batteries, problem solved...no more KEY light flashing in green.

I too have a 2nd keyless remote and i haven't used it in more than 6 mths and the battery is dead on that one so its not unusual, ur 2nd one is flat too.

you are a wealth of knowledge n15mo!

yes the green key light does appear so hopefully changing the batteries will sort it all out.

cheers all for your input.

no but the range thing should be more than enough to tell you that the batteries are dead. the dumb remotes do tell you (via a scan tool) battery strength.

I tell customers when the rangee drops on the remote it time to change the batteries and not at the last minute when they are on teh 2nd key and it dies at 3am in the morn... (dont ring me in a panic - I will say I told you so.)

our intelligent key looks like this:

keyfob.jpg

Does not need to be inserted into the key hole. Just have it in your pocket and turn a switch in the car to start. Same goes with locking and unlocking, we have a button on our drivers side door and no key hole same goes with the boot. If you have the key in your pocket, just press the button and it locks and unlocks door.....hence the name intelligent key :ermm:

finally got round to changing the batteries in the remote and it's all sweet now

cheers to everyone for assisting me with this

just a question on remotes, how many types of intelligent keys are there. looking at the post by n15m0, he's got 4 buttons on his remote. mine only has 3 (no alarm button)